Does everyone secretly despise LGBTs although many openly claim to accept and love it, including LGBT members and allies? Are there really people who see LGBT as of equal worth as heterosexuals?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

SimplyBeing
I wonder if a better question is "Are there people out there that live in kindness? Are there people who accept themselves and aren't threatened by another's individuality." Despising some one often grows out of fear. Fear that they will have something we don't like the feeling of being special. It can be fear of loosing something they have such as a relationship or status with friends. Many more complex emotions have their roots in fear. Patience and compassion are the opposing forces of fear. Fear or despite cannot exist in a mind that is focused on patience or compassion. This isn't just warm and fuzzy psychobabble. There is hard science that demonstrates that the parts of the brain that are active when we feel fear or hatred go dim when the subject focuses on the best interest of others. It takes time and practice. In fact compassion and patience is a daily practice. It's one that I work toward everyday. I hope this helps and I wish you peace. ~J
Melody293
There are many people that are telling the truth when saying they accept the LGBT community. I'm not part of the LGBT community myself, but I have defended it multiple times, and know many others who are the same. About 99% of the time, if people are claiming to openly accept it, they probably do!
Anonymous
Hmmm... you seem to be rather unsure about people's genuine attitudes towards the LGBT community. I assure you, there are many of us (including myself) who LOVE and thoroughly ACCEPT our LGBT brothers and sisters as equals! Maybe there will be people like that, who are LGBT-friendly for the kicks. You know, who can resist a rainbow clad Pride party? Yet, no one can truly despise the LGBTQIA!
BalancED
I truly think that there are a lot of people that see LGBT-identifying people as equal. I'd imagine that some areas are worse than others, but where I live my wife and I (both female) feel very safe and expected, and nobody really blinks an eye when we say we are married. The world has a long way to go, but we've definitely made so much progress.
uniqueMango45
I'd say no, if you're talking about insecurity within the community (such as being uncomfortable with being gay/etc) then you are misunderstanding the feeling of being left out. There are many people who believe LGBT people are of equal worth as heterosexuals - you're not defined as a person by who you sleep with, you're defined based on your character values!
mayodibari9
There are people, lots of them, that truly believe that Love is Love, without any doubt :) LGBTQ+ folks are valid, whole and deserving of love
Anonymous
The vast majority of society support LGBTQ+ people, and there are only a very small handful of people who take issue. Usually these people's opinions are very closed and not open to discussion, so it's best to usually leave them be. As I said, LGBTQ+ people are seen as equal which is absolutely right, as there's nothing wrong with being LGBTQ+ whatsoever.
RhinocerosWings
There really, truly are people who see LBGTQ+ people as having equal worth as heterosexuals. I promise. I'm a LBGTQ+ person. I love me. I know I have equal worth as a heterosexual person. I know many LBGTQ+ people. I love them. I know they have equal worth as heterosexual people. I know allies. I even know a few people who DO secretly despise LBGTQ+ people. They're all of equal value. People are people. And people have equal worth as other people.
Anonymous
As a n LGBT member, I truly accept the community and believe we deserve to be equal to heterosexuals.
SquishyRaspberries
Yes, many people see LGBT+ people as equal to heterosexual/cisgender people. As a whole, I think most of the LGBT+ community is supportive of others within the community (it's not a 100% thing, but it holds true for most people). Nobody should believe that anyone is any less of a person simply because of their gender identity or sexual orientation.
Junghwa
It depends on the person. My best friend is a lesbian and I feel that she is really open about all sorts of things and tend to be less judging. Probably because she knows how it feels to be judged by other people.
rainbowskies
I'm sorry that you have had enough negative experience with LGBT+ people and allies to raise this question. Some people might feel pressured to claim they are an ally even if they, deep down, aren't. Sadly, some LGBT+ people are also socialized to despise themselves and people like them simply because they have heard "everything that's not heterosexual and cisgender is wrong" enough times in their life. But this definetly doesn't include every ally or member! Luckily, the mindset that sexuality and gender identification does neither determine nor influence a person's worth is growing largely! Worry not, there are many people out there who truly don't judge people by whom or how they love or by what pronouns they prefer. I hope that you will meet these people soon :)
kindMango32
Yes. I honestly don't know why you're worrying about this people don't really think about LGBT people care about it and people are against it. If your worried about being seen as equal or unequal, then whoever makes you feel that way is a duck turd. I didn't really help at all but that's my answer.
bulletproofmayhem
Not everyone hates LGBT secretly. There are plenty of people who love and support LGBT community. Obviously, it depends on where you go. In more privileged countries, there tends to be more support for LGBT people. But there are still places where its illegal to be gay.
Anonymous
Yes I see them as the same as me and others we are all the same you can't change how you are, you are amazing no matter your sexuality
Anonymous
Yes, of course there are. I am proud to be part of the LGBT community and know that there are people who love us for who we are.
Anonymous
I am completely accepting of the LGBT community. I see a homosexual couple the same way I see a heterosexual couple. However, there probably are people out there that do not accept the LGBT community and don't speak up on the matter because it can be a controversial topic.
Anonymous
Of course there are people who see LGBTs as equals! There are many heterosexual people who are friends with LGBTs.
Proportionality
Everyone is worth the same regardless of choice, they are people who see that differently. But mostly everyone working with LGBT truly is fine with it.
Mike8448
You cannot know what everyone thinks. From my own experience I can tell that people around me were very accepting and gave me no trouble at all. I have always choosen to tell people personally instead of making public announcements. I think people really appreciate you taking them in confidence. I think it shows respect to yourself and them and the people I told appreciate that much more than any prejudices they might have had. And yes, nearly all the people I know don't really care who you love, or what you choose to believe or not believe etc. And therefore they see people as equals.
musicalnote1982
Not everyone, there are some people out there who do see people the same way as heterosexuals. If anyone despised the LGBTQ community, it's their own insecurities and opinions of others or themselves. With people like that, there is no use in trying to convince them, the only way you can do that is either do you own thing and just be you or let them do their own thing. It doesn't matter who they are or what they are, as long as no one is getting physicall hurt, that's fine.
Anonymous
I see everyone of any sexuality just as valid as heterosexuals. :) you are valid! I personally am bi :)
plantkissed
As part of the LGBTQ+ community, I absolutely believe that we are worth just as much as those who are het. We're deserving of love just like anybody else. Just because we are who we are, or we love who we love, doesn't mean we are worth any less. Honestly, I don't think that our differences define us that much: we are who we are, and people should love and accept us for ourselves.
Anonymous
I think it's all about how you've been brought up whether you accept it or not. And from there, yes it might take a few hurdles, but I really do believe (and hope) that everyone is able to see anyone as equals.
letstalkthis0ut
I am fully accepting, although many people unfortunately aren't. Frankly - I don't care about someone's orientation unless I am attracted to them. That's the only situation where it really matters. I never ask anyone how they identify, because to me its like asking them their favorite color. Its a pointless discussion!
SweetNori
Yes, people are just people. It doesn't matter who they love. I think just as highly of my brother now I know he is gay.
GenderRolesTM
As a pansexual transboy I can assure you that through my experiences ive seen that there definitely are people that truly care about the LGBTQ+ community and see them as equals. I have friends that sometimes I find myself totally forgetting how "different" I am.
Anonymous
Yes, there are people who don't diffentiate people. The only thing that matters for them is happiness for themselves as well as others.
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2016 4:59am
Yes there are. We are evolving as a culture and as a society to better understand that the world is rarely about binaries. Most things present as ranges and not as discreet lines. I think that we experience growth as a community as well as individuals. Community growth requires that we examine commonly held but flawed historic beliefs and dogma and adjust those ideas going forward. Gender and sexual orientation will likely be viewed as less and less binary and more a more in terms of personal relationships and feelings that change over time and in response to each other.
blackstar
No they don't, but I can't speak for everyone. Me, myself, don't despise.. lots of my friends belong in LGBTQ and are open and I'm respectful. I'm sure many people are close minded and can't comprehend, but don't worry, they don't want to understand anything they don't want to know.