Does it make me annoying to tell my entourage about my sexuality?

Angela Serritella, LCSW , CADC

Mental Health is a journey of learning to understand yourself, thoughts, and emotions. I feel that this is a journey that is best taken with support.

KindHeartedAnna
Absolutely not! If you feel that this is important information that you would like to share (some people like others to be cognizant, others like to keep it private), then you should absolutely let people know "where you stand." It does not make you annoying, and if anything, shows a great deal of confidence in yourself and trust in your friends. Of course, this is up to you to make the decision to disclose such information, but don't let "being annoying" be a reason not to share your sexuality with others.
happysloth
Absolutely not! Sexuality is a big part of who you are, and friends should accept that it's a part of your life. In my experience, my friends don't mind; it's just a natural part of our conversations when they turn to romance and sex!
plumnectarine
Depends on the type of person. As long as the other person doesnt have a problem there shouldnt be a problem
beautifulSoul02
No it doesn't... it's a massive part of who you are! But only tell them if you feel comfortable with it as you don't want to ruin your friendship with them if they aren't supportive of who you are
originalLion57
No, it is not annoying and you should feel free to express your sexuality just like anybody else should.
amazingHeart17
In no way should that make you annoying! You should never feel the need to apologize for who you are. You are who you are so be proud of that!
Anonymous
mostly depends on what type of people they are, unless you are persistently telling them that, they shouldnt get annoyed
BeastIsTheBeauty
Depends on who they are. Most people don't care too much anymore, being gay or straight or pan or trans, that's just the norm now.
blitheSound23
Yes if you do it when the conversation is not about it or they don't ask you about it or when you talk about it all the time
JudgeMeNot
You should never be afraid to open up about your sexuality. Be proud to be who you are, people closest to you will love the confidence.
Anonymous
No! If your group of friends care and love you for you, and are positive influences in your life, it shouldn't be! If it is to them, it's maybe time to look for some new friends!
woluf
August 2nd, 2016 10:07pm
Definitely not! It means you're taking pride in yourself and the person you are! What makes you, you
ReggaanCoy
It's doesn't make me annoyed to talk to my entourage about my sexuality. I feel comfortable when speaking about my sexuality
shadeofblue741
"Every time someone steps up and says who they are the world becomes a better, more interesting place." Your sexuality is a part of who you are, but it doesn't define you and sharing a part of who you are with people does not make you annoying.
Fradiga
It all depends on the circumstances, doesn't it? If you have used the word "annoying" yourself, it could well mean that some of your entourage has been annoyed. Sexuality is still deemed a pretty private matter and most people are not willing to hear details at length. If you need or want to talk about it, it may be a good idea to first make sure that the person you are talking to is receptive and to check this also while you speak. This also depends why you need to tell and if this information is important or useful to the people you are talking to. You need to know first how receptive people are before you begin and watch for any sign of unease so you can stop in time.