How do I come out to my parents?

How do I come out to my parents?

Terrence Sawyer, MS Counseling Psychology

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Social disorders counseling social psychology, substance use disorder counsel

Gracegiveshelp
Coming out must be ridiculously hard. I am not part of lgbtq+ myself, but one of my friends is a part of lgbtq+ and I know many people in my school who have found coming out extremely hard. When my friend came out to me, he was nervous that I wouldn’t understand, or that I wouldn’t speak to him ever again; I’m sure he’s really worried about coming out to his family. Please just realize that they’ll love you no matter what. You’re their child, at the end of the day. They won’t mind which gender you fall in love with.
SmallGirlBigWords
Coming out can be very challenging for everyone. Coming out is perfectly normal and happens all the time. You’d be surprised with how many parents are supportive of their children. Just know before you come out to not have any expectations. You are opening up about you to the people who care about you, they will be surprised and might not know exactly what to do or say at first but if you had big news you would like time to sit and think. If there were a small chance they god mad then so what! You are you and you are amazing
Aayla - Expert in LGBTQ+
It depends on how is your relationship with them. Maybe you can try to find a quiet moment and start off by telling them there is something you need to share, and little by little express your feeling. You can encourage them to ask you questions about it if they have any, and reassure them that nothing changes in any way, you simply hadn't told them yet because it's kind of a delicate topic. If you don't feel comfortable you can even write all of this in a letter, to introduce the conversation that you shall then continue in person. However you wish to do it, I know you can make it!
Anonymous
What’s best for you is something only you can figure out. It all depends on your situation and relationship with your parents, that being said there are many different ways to come out like recording a video and sending it to them, just flat out telling them, get them a present that has hints about you being lgbt and let them connect the dots, hang up a flag and let the connect the dots, make the inside of a cake your flag, when I came out I recorded a video and sent it to her, I was so terrified of her response but she took it quite well and you can never know exactly what their reaction will be you just have to do it
Anonymous
Firstly, if you are still dependent on them, if you are living at home or dependent on them financially, I would advise to only come out to your parents if you are sure they would not have an bad reaction to you coming out. This is for your safety, and to prevent any worse case scenarios. To come out to your parents you could sit them down and just tell them, or if you are too nervous to do that, you could write them a letter explaining your situation and your feelings. There are also some more extravagant ways of coming out, which can take the "edge" off and make it into a more funny experience, like baking a cake or something like that! Whatever you decide to do, I hope that it goes well, and good luck!
Anonymous
First, you have to decide whether or not it’s safe to come out to your family. If you feel there’s a high chance of being disowned/kicked out, you might need to wait until you can support yourself financially and don’t need the help of your family. On the other hand, if you trust your family and doubt the possibility of being disowned, then simply tell them the truth. Tell them how you feel and what you’ve been thinking. Most likely, they will respect you for trusting them, even if they disagree with the issue. Do what’s best for you, and if that means coming out to them, then have no fear in doing so. Your parents love you and they, also, want the best for you and your future.
Anonymous
If and when you make the decision to come out to your parents just continue to know that they love you. sit them down and express how much you love them and respect how they feel about the situation .explain that you are happy and content with yourself and with the decision you have made. let them know that it will not harm the relationship with your parents, that you are the same you that you have always been and will continue to be that you respect them and you hope they respect you as well- good luck friend