How do I know if I am transgender?

How do I know if I am transgender?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW, LICSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

FromBrazil
You've to ask your own self, no one can (or should) tell you how you are supposed to feel about your own sexuality. Questioning your own gender identity is absolutely normal for everyone, so don't think you're trans just because you're worring about it.
Anonymous
Well, usually you'll feel that this gender identity has been with you your whole life, since your earliest memories. Transgender people would usually feel dysphoric of their bodies and how they're perceived. They find it pleasurable to be regarded as the gender they identify with and called their preferred pronouns and name. Just in case you haven't already checked out other gender identities, I'm going to send you this link http://nonbinary.org/wiki/List_of_nonbinary_identities . Gender is a lot more complicated than we think, and there is an endless amount of genders.
Gardeviola
Well, do you feel like you are the gender that isn't what's in your pants all the time? Then you are transgender. Do you only feel like this some one the time? You are probably fluid. Do you feel like neither gender? You are non-conforming, agender, or some other form.
Jake
There is no answer that can fit for everyone, but I will give you a bit more information. Being trans* can mean a lot of different things. Most often those who are trans* do not feel that their biological sex matches up with their gender. You can find more information on trans* and gender identity topics here: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/pages/trans-gender-identity
kurotenshii
You will feel like your gender inside doesn't reflect the gender you were born as. You will usually have the opposite gendera characteristics and will tend to be considered different when compared to others of your same gender. Talking to a counselor or therapist can help you understand these thoughts and feelings.
Reptevia
This is a difficult thing to explain. You know how you feel. I never felt my that I was the right gender growing up, but I also never felt that bone deep need to be the other gender. I was something in between. As I grew older I grew to understand this feeling and its meaning. I found myself relating to those who are gender fluid. I am neither male or female and I both. I think a person can just tell, it is a feeling from inside and only you know it for sure.
Anonymous
Discovering who you are is a long process and you may not get it for a while. Generally if you feel uncomfortable with you gender and it doesnt feel right OR you feel extremally happy when associated with another gender, you could be trans! Good luck discovering yourself and make sure to be patient!
KendallNichole
"Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help with figuring out your gender identity: Do you think the gender you were assigned restricts the way you live or the things that you do? What about the clothes you wear? Was the gender assigned to you the one you feel most comfortable with? What is gender? What makes a woman a woman or a man a man? Do you feel forced to act in certain ways because of your gender?" You can read more about this on ( http://www.indianayouthgroup.org/how-do-i-know-im-transgender)
PhoenixMozza
This is a question only you can answer. If you feel like you're not the gender you were assigned at birth, you may be transgender, however a lot of people, specially people of non binary genders feel the word transgender doesn't truly describe them, and choose not to go by it, and that's completely fine as well, and doesn't invalidate any gender
SpiritOasis
To know you are transgender is to know that your biological and your emotional as well as psychological state are not compatible. Like oil and water, your body is not in tune with your mind and feelings.
felidaebay
If you find yourself asking “Am I transgender?” more than likely it means you are not feeling aligned with your exact biological sex and your assigned gender at birth. Perhaps you feel some discomfort about your assigned gender at birth and, basically, the assigned gender role expectations that you’re having—your discomfort with that can vary. It can be small, it can be very wide.There is a myriad of different questions you may be asking yourself and it is important to research and explore those questions to make sure you're on track. Just remember! You don’t necessarily have to have a very specific idea of what it means to be transgender. It’s something that branches across a spectrum and exploration of that spectrum is key.
malalai
The only person who can answer this question is yourself. You are the expert on you, there is no specific way to "feel as transgender". Transgender is just a label for people who don't identify as the gender they were assigned at birth.
DanielaJoyful
For each person there are 2 kinds of genders. The one you see in your pants and the one you believe in your heart. Sometimes they match. Other times people need to correct their physical body in order to match how they feel they should be. Sometimes your physical body has male sex organs, but you feel like you aren't a male. Maybe you're female instead, or maybe you feel both genders or even no gender at all. Sometimes your body tells you you're female but in your head you don't feel like a female. It's possible to feel like a male, both genders, or neither gender at all. It's all how you feel. What ever body you would be comfortable in is what you should be.
Anonymous
August 2nd, 2015 10:47pm
i guess you would know if you you tried it out and felt really comfortable with being transgender and if not then no you are not
Anonymous
It's within how you feel with yourself! If you don't feel like the gender you were assigned at birth, then so be it. Nobody can force you to be anything - be who you are, be true to yourself and be true to everyone else around you!
kindDreamer93
You can find out by exploring who you are, try looking at articles, videos and blogs, you will know it deep inside once you found it.
TomorrowsFaith
Often when you know you are transgender is if you feel increasingly uncomfortable in the body you were born in ( Say you were born female, you'd feel male, vice versa for being born male ). You often feel unsure of who you are, and being called by he / she depending on bodily gender, makes you feel wrong. Sometimes it can be seen as just simple feeling male at times, or female at times, but most transgender people will have Dysphoria, the literal meaning being; a state of uneasiness or generalized dissatisfaction with life.
FallingDestiel0
Gender identity is probably one of the biggest roles in life. Some people just know who they are, but others need/ want to step back and think about the situation or try to make sure they're certain. THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE, FOLKS! This is not a black and white topic, there's a whole field of grey here and perspectives that you have not yet been able to see for yourself. It's okay to change what you identify as too, if you find something that suits you better, do not let your fear of rejection or wrath of others discourage you, Being comfortable in your skin is not always easy, sometimes it never is. Just remember that your identity is yours and always will be. No one is allowed to make this decision for you or try to push you back away from it. If you're having trouble indentifying yourself just take a step back and breathe, explore your options. There is no rush to being your amazing self.
mountainPass10
i identify as agender and I found out by truly thinking deeply about what gender pronouns I feel most comfortable with and how I want to be viewed by not only others but by myself
Fireflies57
You are the best judge of you. If you feel like you are trapped in the wrong body, then you might be. In the end, only you can decide, and whatever you do decide, there are people who are willing to help!
Kenai
That's something that a counselor or therapist specializing in gender identity might really help with!
Spn2001
This can be different for different people but I would say you never truly know. Transgender is an umbrella term and literally means that you do not identify with your birth given sex, gender in a spectrum and therefore you can be trans gender and not necessarily feel 100% like the opposite gender. Transgender is not just mtf and ftm. If you're not sure if you are or are not transgender, then you probably are maybe not identifying as the opposite gender but somewhere on the scale. maybe try dressing as the opposite gender for a month, have people use different pronouns for you and see how it makes you feel, experiment with gender rolls.
Anonymous
No one can tell us whom or what we are, It's something we have to discover for ourselves. The best way to work this out is with the professional guidance of a Gender Therapist. Gender Therapists(GT) specialize in Helping us figure out if were Transgendered. Then if WE decide we are and wish to transition, our GT helps us with every phase of that and beyond. A good Gender Therapist is our best and most useful resource, and I Treasure mine. :)
Anonymous
If you feel as though you are not in the right body. Like the person you are in the mirror is not the person you feel you should be.
Aayla - Expert in LGBTQ+
If you think of yourself as a person of the opposite gender, if you don't feel like your biological sex represents your gender and you feel as the opposite, you are trans. There can also be other feelings, like uneasiness with your own body perceived as "wrong", or discomfort with the use of certain pronouns referred to yourself. But who you feel you are is the basis of your identification. It can also help to get in contact with other trans people or with a therapist to start learning the trans reality and yourself better.
FlickeringCandle
You will know if you feel as if you don't fit into the gender you have been assigned by society.
Amandeas
If it feels right. You can be whatever sex you like, no-one has the right to judge your gender, only you can do that. There's also more than two genders. I thought of myself for a while as transgender, but now I see myself as genderfluid, sometimes a mix of a man and female. Your gender is not decided by your genetalia. It's determined by yourself.
Erynn
November 22nd, 2014 2:00am
That's something only you can know. BUT researching what it means to be trans or nonbinary and the many gender identities that exist may help you make sense of your feelings, as may talking to other trans people and/or listening/reading their stories and seeing what parts you do and don't relate to. There are also trans listeners on here you may benefit from talking to. :)
Anonymous
If you feel that you do not align with the sex that you were given at birth. I hope that helps :)
BodawayHonaw
January 3rd, 2015 12:13am
Basically being Transgender means feeling as if you don't belong in the body you where born with. You dont feel as if your gender role is one you fulfill. There are many online resources that could go more in depth. If you would like feel free to contact me.