How do I know if I am transgender?

How do I know if I am transgender?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW, LICSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

BodawayHonaw
January 3rd, 2015 12:13am
Basically being Transgender means feeling as if you don't belong in the body you where born with. You dont feel as if your gender role is one you fulfill. There are many online resources that could go more in depth. If you would like feel free to contact me.
frankpanda
Personally to me, you will feel different. You will know that you want to dress different and be different, rather than being in one body. There is nothing that says you arent transgender. If you want to be transgender then be you, and dont let anyone tell you different.
kindheartedSky78
This is a very difficult question for me or anyone to answer for you. My thoughts would be that only you would know what it is you are feeling and thinking. Big questions like this can take a very long time to answer and being patient with yourself will help you to move forward in this situation
ElliesLight
Being transgender only means that you do not obey the social construct of your given gender. It notably has nothing to do with your body (That would be transsexual). You are transgender when you decide that you do not feel fully comfortable with your birth given gender. Many transgender folk will alter their appearance non-surgically (ex: with chest binders or different hair styles), ask for different pronouns than what they were given, or - shocking to many - do nothing at all.
WonderlandRabbit
Well, there isn't a sure fire way to know whether or not you're transgender and no quiz can determine if youre transgender for sure. Why? because its about how you feel. Do you feel okay in your own shoes right now? do you wish it were different? These are all your feelings you can only answer yourself.
Anonymous
No one can tell you if you are transgender. Only you can do that. Don't stress about your gender label right now. Just be the person you want to be and you will figure it out. In the mean time, this can help. http://heartcorps.com/journeys/beginners/how-to-tell.htm
Anonymous
Learning something so intricate about yourself is sometimes a long journey for some people. I think that opening up your mind and researching is the best way to do that.
vonengelhardt
Do you feel like you are not the gender that you were born as? If you feel out of place in your own skin and your gender is not a reflection of you then you could be transgender.
heavenlygrob98
If you feel a disconnect from the gender you were assigned at birth, you may be transgender. This can manifest itself in a number of ways: you could feel like a different gender than what you were assigned, a third gender outside of the gender binary, without a gender at all, or only partially connected to a gender. You know yourself best- the internet has a lot of helpful resources on gender identity. No matter what you find, your gender is valid and true for you. Good luck!
QueerPussycat
Only you can say for sure whether or not you are transgender. To be transgender is to experience a disconnect between your sex assigned at birth and your gender identity.
PileOfRubbles
You don't. I guess you have to feel it. How do i know i exist. I don't but i do feel alive. So... if you are sure of your feelings trust them
PostivelyAliya
Hi. For me I always knew. I guess I didn't know what being transgender was, but I knew I felt like a girl and always wanted to be one. Now, when I dress like a woman and express myself that way it feels right.
XanrikTheHighblood
You can know that you are transgender if you have both genitails and or you feel as though you belong to the opposite sex
gracefulLover20
Transgender, by definition, is someone who doesn't conform to the traditional notions of male or female. Typically, someone who is transgender feels like they identify more with the sex opposite of what they were assigned at birth. For example, I know an individual who has always felt like a woman rather than a man. She identifies as a woman, regardless of the fact that that she was assigned the male sex at birth and was born with male sex organs.
Anonymous
When you feel happy in clothing, accessories etc of the opposite sex. The idea of being the opposite sex makes you happier than being the sex you're now.
BigSweatersAndHotChoc
To be transgender you have to have dysphoria. This means that you have a strong hatred for certain sex-defining parts of your body (breasts, genetalia, body hair etc.) because you feel you should have been born without them. This may only be for one feature (e.g you hate having a penis but like your beard) or for all of them. Some transgender people even fail to recognize these parts (forget they are biologically fe/male Remember that being transgender isn't a choice; if you know you don't like a certain feature of yourself, ask yourself why. Are you a trans guy or do you just hate how big your breasts are? Would you want them off entirely or just reduced? Do you dislike your squared shoulders because they you hate how masculine they make you appear or because they feel disproportionate to the rest of your body? If the answer is the latter, with your dislike for these characteristics being more aesthetic aesthetic, you're probably not transgendered. It is a very personal question that only you can answer.
Anonymous
Only you can know if you are transgender! Being transgender means that your self-identified gender does not perfectly fit what considered stereotypically male or female. You "transgress" or cross the boundaries of the norm, so to speak! This could mean anything from not adopting the standard script for what it means to be female or male, and taking on a more androgynous role, or identifying as a male when your biological sex was female. So think about how you self-identify, what you think may be "normal," and what you would like to be. Despite what many may think, there is no "right" way to be!
Waterbear
Identity is something you have to decide for yourself. There's no eternal objective standard for who is and isn't transgender.
Anonymous
If you see, and feel whole as the opposite gender. If you have in more than one occasion, dressed in a way that would conventionally be described as the gender opposite yours, and felt complete.
Anonymous
You are the leader of you, being transgender is something you feel inside, nobody knows you as well as you know yourself. Being transgender is when you are not happy with how you are.
Anonymous
You know if you're Transgender by how you feel. If you have a female body but have always felt like a boy, always wanted stuff from the "boys" section, your body seems wrong.
Mark5
This is not a question that other people can answer for you. It's not as simple as "how do I know what color my eyes are" or something like that. Gender identity can often be a blurry, complicated thing for people to figure out. For some individuals, they have known since birth which gender they identify as and the feelings have been strong and consistent. Others don't know until much, much later in life. Both scenarios are okay. There is no race to know your gender identity and you are not wrong if you don't know until later in life. If you're worried about it, perhaps reading other people's experiences might help better understand what feelings or thoughts are often present.
warmteawithablanket
A good advice for any struggles you may have with gender identity is to focus on what you are feeling before anything else, forget the labels for a moment, those can come later and just think about how you feel.
gradientaesthetic
You suffer body dysphoria, you don't feel identified with the gender you were assigned at birth, you don't feel comfortable being called boy/girl, etc. Feeling non-binary, on the other hand, is different.
whatigotoschoolfor
I knew that I was transgender because I didn't associate with my birth gender. I didn't understand what it felt like to be that gender. Instead, I felt like I didn't know what gender feels like at all - I'm agender. I simply had to examine my feelings regarding gender.
AloneAcneLove
It is actually based on your behavior. We will attract to things that we don't usually use, does or goes to.
Anonymous
When you feel as though you are not your gender, and you identify as the other sex. You don't really have to outwardly look like the opposite sex, as long as you feel you are, then you are.
CarcinoArison16
sometimes feeling that you're transgender can come in a way that you dislike your current gender and identify better with another, sometimes you can be okay with your current gender but still identify more strongly with another, i hope this helps!
Chelsdeanne93
You know you're transgender if you have or have always had feeling that your biological/physical gender is not the same as your mental gender.
Anonymous
Do you feel as though you are actually the opposite gender, were you born in the wrong body. IF you are transgender you can still be attracted the opposite sex or your sex.