How do I tell my boyfriend that I'm transgender?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

Anonymous
Tell him whenever *you* are ready. Don't rush things, it will only stress you. Know that there's nothing wrong about being transgender, that's beautiful. Figure out a way to tell your boyfriend. You could do it in person, text or call. Another example: write a letter (or on your phone) where you tell your boyfriend that you're transgender. If you're too scared to tell him, you can make him read the letter. Know that your boyfriend will react. He can be confused, sad, supportive, understanding or disgusted (i really hope he won't) I hope this helped you. I wish you luck! Take care
Anonymous
November 1st, 2020 2:48am
Take some time planning it out, make sure you have a rough plan of what you're going to say. If you want to, you can do it by text - or maybe you can just tell them in person. It's up to you how you say it, but make sure you're comfortable before you do. I had a hard time coming out to my parents, I ended up sending them a (probably unnecessary) multi-paragraph coming out message that they probably could've done without, but it went well in the end - I'm sure that your experience will end well too. It all gets better!
Anonymous
Firstly, don't panic! In my experience it's best to just say it. Don't time it specifically for right when he wakes up or when he's drunk or anything like that. Just tell him one day. Make sure you tell him when he's in a position to process it though; don't tell him right before work or before some event. And if you're having trouble just getting up and saying it, I believe in you. I might be posting this anonymously, but know that somewhere in the world, there's someone who believes you can do it. Wake up one day and tell yourself to get it done. You got this, I believe in you!
Anonymous
You should sit him down and discuses how you are feeling so you and him can move forward and grow together . this will help you and him communicate and possibly uncover any decisions you might have or questions he might want answers to in the long run you will get rid of the burden of keeping it in on your chest and it will allow you to feel much better about yourself and it will be reassuring to include him into ur emotions and feelings when it comes down to you and him having this conversation to work toward ur fuhter
Anonymous
I believe you should sit down with him and be completely honest. Lies in a relationship is never a good thing. Lay all your cards on the table and let him react. If he truly loves you, he won't judge you for being transgender. If he is not okay with it, try to have a peaceful end to your relationship. Arguing never does anyone any good. Sit your boyfriend down, and just be honest. Let him scream and cry. Just do nothing and let him get it out of his system. Once he is done, he will be able to think more clearly and be able to see if the relationship is one for him.
Anonymous
First, start asking your boyfriend how he thinks about transgender. If he is positive with that and if he doesn't feel offended, then start talking seriously about this topic. It would be better if you can tell him early because trust is the most important factor in a relationship. If you hide something from your boyfriend, It is impossible to have a truly healthy relationship. Just tell him you have something to say, and tell him that you did not want to lie or hide anything from him. If your boyfriend does not accept you being yourself, then you should find another person that will accept you as yourself.