How to deal with falling in love for your best (and straight) friend?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

spacedouthashbrown
Yikes, this is a familiar situation. Love sucks sometimes. But, try not to idolize them. They aren't perfect for you, because they are straight, and you deserve better than that. Remember that you are worth more than a one-sided crush.
proudLove89
It is always a tricky situation. But you must be true to your heart. The worst thing you can do is bottle up your feelings and let them eat away at you. You don't have to speak to your straight friend, directly, but you should speak to someone. A problem shared is a problem halved.
Anonymous
This can be a very difficult situation because it seems as though you are stuck in a hopeless love. There are different ways to deal with this, and it just depends on what you think is right for you. You could tell your friend that you like them and say that even though they are straight you still want to be good friends (although if you do this, just make sure you are prepared for their reaction - it could be very good, it could be very bad). You could also try to meet up with some other people so you don't always feel like you are hopelessly in love with somebody you will never be with. Or you could always just settle for being friends and ride it out. What you do is up to you, just go through the pros and cons for all of your options and decide which one you think will work best :)
Meguminx
I suggest you tell them and let the weight of it fall off your shoulders. It helps with moving on as well, unless you're worried about "ruining" your friendship. Make sure that the other person would seem chill towards the situation and go for it. The sooner you can let it out the sooner you can move on, and you'll feel so much better afterwards. If you feel like you will need some time off from them in order to move on, then do so. It's hard, it sucks, but reality is that they won't feel the same way (assuming they're straight for sure). Should you choose to stay with them after you tell them, make sure you let them know (if they exist) of the certain things they do that make you feel things towards them (something silly like if they get too close, or teasingly flirt because they believe you won't go any further than that) and set some boundaries if needs be. Whatever the case, if they're truly your best friend, they should understand and support you in all cases. Otherwise the friendship itself was probably not that strong in the first place, and you're better off without them. Good luck.
SimpleHarper
Well its easier for you to cope with the feelings by actually talking to them about it. If they're your best friend, they will support and love you (as a friend) despite your feelings for them.
Anonymous
Rejection can be really hard (even if it's not really said), if you feel like it's hurting you too much you can try and explain it to your best friend and take some time for yourself...
radiantFireworks51
This happened to me, I just realised that if she was really my friend then she wouldn't care, which she didnt. It was upsetting as I knew my love for her wouldn't go anywhere but over time I learnt to use that love in a friendly kind of way. Hope this helps x
Anonymous
Feelings can be difficult, especially when they are not reciprocated. If you are sure there is no chance you could be together, the best thing you can do for both you and your friend is to move on. If you need distance from this person to do that, then you should take it. If your friend cares about you they'll understand.
helpergirl61
This is a hard one. But, it’s impossible to stop falling in love with people, but just tell them how you feel. You never know what they might say.
youwillbeheard
Best friends are people who you love and sometimes, that love can change. Stay calm and do what you think is right.
SleepySnow69
That's hard because it happened to me before. Our friendship ended when I told her. But everybody is different. I'd say be honest and tell them how you feel.
AmanitaForest
This is a tough situation. I have encountered in once while taking a college class. I liked this girl alot, and my "gaydar" kind of starting pinging. However, she was not gay. I did put it out there that I was attracted to her, because I was just going out on a whim. I think that it's ultimately your decision and each situation is completely different. If you are trying to come to a conclusion on whether or not you will disclose your attraction, I would say that you should evaluate your relationship. Do you think it will make things awkward, or will you be able to be open and move on?
onemorelonelygirl
I’m in the same situation currently, but I’m slowly learning to cope with it. It’s hard, it hurts, but eventually the pain and hurt get easier.
LaurenCantSpelll
Falling for your best friend is certainty tough. Unfortunately if your friend is straight there is nothing you can do. You need to ask yourself what is important to you. The situation is different for everyone. You need to take time to work out how much you value your friendship with this person, and how much the feelings are negatively impacting your life/harming you. Moving on is the only thing you can do if they are straight. It is hard but you will manage. You need to evaluate what would be best for you. You may need to cut the person of or just slightly distance yourself. Just make sure you keep track of your emotional wellbeing. Often the best thing you can do is remain friends but set yourself boundaries that stop you from ending up in situations that can hurt you. In the end only time will help you deal with these feelings. Goodluck
healingCloud74
If so, I’d evaluate what sort of impact dating would have on his life. His family could be VERY aggressive towards him. His family could isolate him. His family could kick him out. You’d have to establish that if dating him would be worth it, despite the risks. If it’s not worth the risk for him, just be mutual snuggle buddies and then some If you are snuggling together, my suspicion is that your friend might not be so “straight.” Straight men don’t snuggle with other men. Maybe you should have an honest discussion. Maybe he is trying to tell you that he’s open to something other than friendship. But please, talk before you do anything physical. If he’s ambivalent, you don’t want to traumatize him. Tell him you’re just wanting to know the boundaries of your relationship and if he’d prefer you to put your feelings aside. I think it’s important to talk about it so that he is able to explore his feelings, otherwise you risk harming the friendship. Good luck!
wholeheartedhelp
This is probably one of the hardest parts about being part of the LGBTQ+ community and single. Falling in love with someone who is as straight as an arrow. What I'd recommend (since this is what I did) is tell them about your feelings. You will most likely be rejected, but it doesn't mean this is the last person you'll ever love. There are many fish in the sea. You just need to find the right one. You will. I promise. It will be a hard journey, and will probably be depressing as you get over the straight crush, but you will get over them... eventually.
aestheticbeebo
I can totally relate right now. I'm like in the same exact position. But what hurts the most for me is that he is already in a relationship. But tbh I don't like his girlfriend and it's not just because I like him. She's really not serious about him but anyways getting back to the point, I would strongly advice you to tell him. Not just straight out go and drop the bomb. But start casually and tell him . It's for the best. You'll never know. Maybe he even reciprocates your feelings? Maybe you're even in for a heartbreak. But anyhow, regret i something that you'd ever experience. You'll never think of the what if's and you'll at least have an answer. In fact I'm going to do this too. I know I would regret it, him being my first crush and all. Let me know how it goes. -Nikki
indigoraspberries
Talk to them about it. They may be closeted and it's always best to be able to talk to your best friend, they're there to talk. They care about you.
Kanga
Its perfectly okay for you to feel this way, just as if you were straight and had a crush on your best friend of the opposite sex. Just understand the boundaries with your friend.
Dreamer123456
I know how you feel. Trust me when I say you should tell them. If you don't you will always wonder if you two had a chance. For all you know they may feel the same. Don't feel bad if they don't feel the same. At least you where honest. Maybe you two can move past it.
ScientificLlama04
If you are in the situation, it's best to be upfront with them and tell them, just be careful when doing this though as it can backfire for some people. Also, if you can, do something to distract yourself or be away from the your friend until the crush feeling subsides
AudriaNicole
Don't tell them right at first... Give them an example of how you feel with two completely different people... See how they respond to your imaginary situation, and take it from there.
Anonymous
It is hard, but try and talk about it with your friend. Most of the time you really just have to get over them. This may take a lot of time
BiStudent84
Distract yourself by looking for relationships with others- don't dwell on it and try finding someone else to fulfil your needs.
potatobreadpoint
I have somewhat experienced this, and I can only say that you should do what feels best for you. In certain cases it could be a great opportunity to grow as a person. But, try to talk to someone about it and manage to find distractions, because you must understand that a romantic relationship with this person is not going to last or perhaps not even have a happy ending (if it would even exist at all)
TwelveHedgehogs
The best thing might be being honest with them. Make sure it’s clear that you don’t plan on acting on your feelings (if you’re sure they don’t reciprocate them), but communication is key in any relationship.
AlfieGammon53
Love is such a big thing that can be over a big spectrum. Whether this is romantically or just loving a friend or a sibling. Therefore is this love for your best friend definitely romantic or is it a mixture of friendship and possible lust for their love of yourself? If it's hurting you then take some time out to think about your feelings. Think about if you're feelings are making you feel bad or you're struggling. If you are maybe you should decide how to possibly get over them or just work your way through them. However, if it is affecting how you are around them then this is a struggle. It is definitely difficult because sometimes you want to tell them but you're unsure of the outcome. And if you know they're straight then that's even tougher. Maybe, if you can talk to another close friend who knows them, and someone you can trust, about these feelings. Opening up to someone who won't judge will help yourself. But sometimes it is too hard and easier to just hide them.
Allears247
I have been in this situation a few times and the best ways that I found to deal with it were to end the friendship depending on how strong your feelings are or to just ride it out until you learn to cope with it. I generally went with the second option because I always valued the friendships.
Anonymous
I can totally relate because I am the same. I didnt tell them though because i didn’t want to ruin the relationship.
Teenagehelp
Ask yourself: wouldn’t this relatioships break my whole entire friendship? Write me, I’ll try to help you)