How to deal with my homophobic parents?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

neverletlifetakeyourspark
Ask them if they would still like you if had a different favorite color than them. Or what if you liked two different colors? Colors are all colors, but they are all beautiful. People are the same way. We're all beautiful. You like a different gender than some people? So what? It makes you happy, so why should they care?
SettledBreathing
From this, I'd assume that you're a part of the LGBTQA+ community but if not, I'm terribly sorry for this unrelated response. Homophobia is ignorance and fear. Fear is very strong and it can be hard to overcome, especially since homophobic people think their h√Ęte is legitimate. If you're underage and supported by them, the consequences could be too risky if you came out right now. You depend on them financially and you wouldn't want to lose that, even to express yourself to them. If you aren't, you're an adult, you can try to educate them on the subject, try to dissipate their ignorance and, eventually, their fear. Best of wishes :)
Emily619
You can deal with your homophobic parents by telling a close friend about it. From there, your friend could help you with coming out (if you need to) and his/her parents can help your parents.
caringShiny86
Don't keep hiding yourself...you're your own person,don't let anyone tell u how to live your life.
SoulfulSam
The best way to deal with homophobic parents is to educate them. One of the biggest reasons for homophobia is lack of education about it. In the end, you are thier child, they will always love you. You just have to remember to be patient and understanding of their confusion and possible hurt. You aren't doing anything wrong, they just have to process the lifestyle change themselves, just like you did.
heartfulSmiles35
Okay, I believe that what really helps solving a problem is talking it through. You can talk about it with your parents, and eventually they will have to accept you and your choices the same way you accept theirs. If your parents won't listen or won't stand a converstation like that, then you could talk to a trusted adult and figure out a solution, but talking with them and letting them know of how you feel is an important step. All parents should love their kids for who they are; and that's for things they agree to and things they disagree too. My best wishes and I hope dealing with them goes well!
nyehJames89
When I was younger my mother never accepted the fact I was non-binary because she was homophobic, but if you keep it a secret it makes it stressful and letting it out gets you in trouble, so try to talk to someone who wouldn't leave you and tell them your problems and when you're confident enough tell them.
mvpeng
The answer depends partly on if you are gay/queer or not, but generally I would say be patient but strong in trying to show them that homophobia is not acceptable and that there is nothing wrong with gay/queer people.