I don't want the same things other people do. Is there something wrong with me? Am I broken?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

Anonymous - Expert in LGBTQ+
Nope and nope, despite how much other people may tell you otherwise. Society tends to do this thing where it says "This one thing is normal and everything else is wrong!" ignoring the huge numbers of people who don't fit that so-called 'normal.' Normal is subjective -- what's normal for you isn't normal for me. That doesn't make either of us broken. We're just different people. Only you can decide what you want. It might feel isolating or discouraging sometimes, but you may find that doing what you want can lead you to the most inspiring people you'll ever meet.
Anonymous
No you are not broken! you are just different :)
EmilyStyles
No, absolutely not. Just because you don't want the same things other people do does not mean something is wrong with you nor does it mean you are broken. We may all be people, but we are all different. We have our own minds and we each make different choices. There is only one you, and you are the best you that you can be!
AstridKingsley
No, you're not broken, honey :) We all want different things out of life; you should never be made to feel broken because your desires differ from someone else's. We are here to enrich our minds and hearts as much as we can in the amount of time we are given; your job is to go out and find what fulfills you. Whatever that is. Carpe diem. Go out and live your life the way you were meant to; you have a beautiful mind and you deserve to nourish it with your personal brand of happy.
Erynn
No. It is okay to have different things you want, and just because others want things you don't doesn't make you bad or broken or less than other people. I know that can be hard to believe, and it can be really hard and painful to feel alone and like no one else feels the way you do. Perhaps, it may help to seek out communities and people who feel similar to you (which can be hard to find, but... the internet is a vast and wonderful place).
weepyhollow
You're not broken! Not everyone wants the same things, I've personally always been a little different from other people but I've recently found people that like similar things to me and that's really great! You should know that there is always someone that will like similar things to you and it's great to be different!!
SageBunny
January 2nd, 2015 9:30pm
Of course you're not broken! It just means that you have a different set of values than the people who are currently around you. You can disagree with each others' needs or wants, but still be loving and supportive of one another. Additionally, there are so many types of people in the world that there are very likely others who have similar goals or ideals to you.
Smile4dakillcam
No, you are not. It just means you have a different mindset. Nothing wrong with that! I believe it is a good thing to be different!!
LifeWithoutYouIsNewToo
No way, you're you own person. Feel free to like whatever you want to like. It's your life & we can't always go by what other people would do or want.
Anonymous
No you are not. You are an individual, gifted with your own personality. Let no one else influence you to change yourself.
wallflowermusic98
NO! Of course not!! It means you're different from other people! It means that you are unique and not a cookie cutter follower!! Break away from expectations and pave your own path :)
insightfulStar10
I don't think that wanting different things than other people makes you broken. The things that you want make you unique, and being unique is something to be celebrated. There's definitely nothing wrong with you!
caringRainfall29
There is nothing wrong with you! Everybody is different and that is what makes the world such a wonderful unique place! If somebody tells you that what you are feeling is "wrong" just remember that that is not a fact, that is their opinion.
Anonymous
I DON’T think there's something wrong with you because you don't want what you have been told you should want. You are not broken for wanting things that others don't want. If we all wanted the same things what would be the point of having so many ice cream flavors right? And if it applies to flavors and smells, why can't it be applied to other things too? The point is, that it’s okay to want something others don't want just keep in mind that if it involves others you should always seek for consent.
mysteriousWillow50
You're not broken, each of us is a unique individual with different wants and needs. The key is finding out what works for you, not everyone else.
Talulah22
Of course you are not broken! Everyone wants and likes different things, that is completely normal.
Anonymous
I used to think like that. No, you're not broken. You're just different. When I was growing up, I realised that I like women instead of men in a mainly heterosexual society; I felt like I was a disappointment and that something was wrong with me. It caused years of depression, even thoughts of suicide; when I finally accepted it, it was like magic. I could be myself, and I could be happy doing what I wanted to do, when I finally stopped caring so much what others would think and realised that I'm not broken. So there's nothing wrong with you. You're perfect, just the way you are. :)
RaluuuM
There's nothing wrong with you. We are all humans and we are all different. We do different things, we like different things and so on. You don't have to be like others. You have to be original.
Anonymous
no not at all. Everybody has different preferences. we're all unique and special in our own way.
colorfulButton72
We are each our own person. Not everyone was built to desire the same thing that is what makes each one of us unique
Maisie4y
Not at all. You are you and you are completely different from everyone else. Just because you want different things doesn't mean you're wrong or broken. It just means that you're you.
caringIceCream67
No you are not broken. And thinking different is not abnormal... its juss thw way you are. And life wont be fun if all humans did he say thing and followed the same thing.
EllaLoves
No, everyone is unique and beautiful in their own way, there is no reason to ever believe you are broken.
Everyone is different in their own ways and thats what makes us interesting. It will be boring if all of us were the same and wanted the same things.
AmandaAbroad
Often, what we think "everyone else" wants or does or experiences is not reality. Just what is pushed by media or popular culture. This is a very broad question, but you are not broken. Maybe on one far end of the bell curve, outside of the average, but not broken or wrong.
Anonymous
There is nothing wrong with you. If you don't want to have sex or make out with anybody, then that is fine.
Anonymous
Absolutely not. You are uniquely you, and because of that, you may have some different desires in life that others may not have. That doesn't make you broken - rather, it makes you unique and special!
1musicloverever
No, there is nothing wrong with you nor are you broken. There's nothing wrong with not wanting what everyone else has or goes through. It means you're caring about yourself and that you deserve better and all. Nothing wrong with that. You will find better for yourself and you will be happy.
suspiciouslookingcactus
Everyone is different. I know that sounds horribly cliche, but it's true. You are allowed to want whatever you want. You're allowed to be your own person. There is nothing wrong with you for that. You'll find the people who enjoy the same things you do. You are not broken for being different.
MagicalUnicorn312
I wouldn't say that you're broken. Everyone is special in their own way, and I think it just needs time where you can figure out who you are.