I know I’m bi but I can’t accept it fully. I don’t judge the LGBTQ+ community as long as they are being fair. I can’t help but think I must be wrong so I push my feelings aside. How do I accept this?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Many LGBT people experienced the same as you, having internalized prejudice and mentalities that prevent them from fully accepting themselves. While they rationally know there's nothing wrong with them, they can't help but having negative feelings at a deeper, less rational level. Trying to rationalize your feelings can help: any time that you have these negative thoughts, you can ask yourself what is the logic reason why you shouldn't accept yourself, what is the wrong part about it, why it should make you "worse" than other people. The more you rationally reflect on this, the more you'll start considering your feelings under a rational light, and your perception of yourself will start to change also at the emotional level. It can also be of help to get in contact with the bi community - either online or in person - to listen to their experiences, get to know them, and thus start internalizing the belief that bi people are just like everyone else, and they can have normal and happy lives like any other!