I'm a 14 year old lesbian. I'm scared of coming out to my dad, I'm scared that he'll see it as purely a sexual thing. Since I'm only 14, I fear he'll think of it as a "phase." help?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

You can try to be completely honest about why you started questioning, how you found out who you really are, what it means to be like you. Make sure he knows he can ask you questions if he has any, and be ready with some link to provide him concerning the innateness of orientations, so if he has doubts about it you can help him do some research. If he loves you, though, I'm sure he'll give you a chance to be listened and understood, and will welcome you as you are!