I’m afraid of my parents being to supportive when i come out, I’m afraid they will look at me diffent even though they fully support lgbtq rights?

South Africa

Lisa De Regt, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Aayla - Expert in LGBTQ+
It's a very common fear and it's ok for you to be uncomfortable about coming out to them. But it's really encouraging to know that they are true LGBTQ rights supporters, it means that they value LGBTQ people and accept them for who they are. So why shouldn't they do the same for you? Just try to be as open-hearted to them as you can, explain how you feel and how much it would mean for you to have them by your side. If they accept and value LGBTQ people, there's no reason why shouldn't support you. And in any case, you'll be there to answer any question they might have, solve any doubt... Dialogue and openness are the key.
Anonymous
I don't think they will. and you should be expressive when things you don't like happen and this is how a deeper mutual understanding is created between you and your parents. don't be afraid to express anything you see that bothers you! you will for sure be happier if you come out so don't be scared of your parents finding out and you're very lucky because they are supportive of you! your parents are the ones who love you the most in this world and I am sure they would be willing to listen to anything you have to say specially regarding coming out . have a nice day and i hope i was helpful