I’m bisexual, but not out to my parents. My boyfriend wants me to tell them, but I’m not ready. Is it bad that I don’t want to come out yet?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

TaranWanderer
Of course it's not bad, coming out is entirely your decision and it's up to you when you're ready, or if you even want to come out at all. You have no obligation to come out and there's no time limit: if you don't want to, you don't have to. There's no reason to force yourself if you're not ready yet. I'm sure your boyfriend feels like it would be a relief for you, to not have to hide that part of yourself, but in the end this is your journey and you can take it at whatever pace you're comfortable with. Coming out is such a personal thing, you don't have to feel bad about not wanting to yet.
Anonymous
Hi also a bisexual so i understand how you feel. It's perfectly okay to not want to tell them yet and you should only tell them when you feel comfortable and safe talking to them about your sexuality. If your boyfriend is pressuring you to tell them then you explain to him that you are simply not ready and you will tell them when you want to not when he wants you too. Do not feel bad or guilty about not being ready its perfectly normal and I'm sure that one day you will be ready. Good luck and I hope that everything goes great for you now and in the future!
GlowingDreamer15
Coming out is something that can take time and courage. You should never force yourself to come out; you can even never do it, or only come out to some people (only your friends, only people on the internet, only your family). If you're not ready, it's perfectly okay. Remember to always respect your boundaries. If you feel like the moment isn't right to do it, if you feel unsafe or if you don't want to come out, you don't have to! It doesn't make you any less bisexual, or any less you! Never force yourself to do things you don't want to :)