I’m bisexual, but not out to my parents. My boyfriend wants me to tell them, but I’m not ready. Is it bad that I don’t want to come out yet?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

TaranWanderer
Of course it's not bad, coming out is entirely your decision and it's up to you when you're ready, or if you even want to come out at all. You have no obligation to come out and there's no time limit: if you don't want to, you don't have to. There's no reason to force yourself if you're not ready yet. I'm sure your boyfriend feels like it would be a relief for you, to not have to hide that part of yourself, but in the end this is your journey and you can take it at whatever pace you're comfortable with. Coming out is such a personal thing, you don't have to feel bad about not wanting to yet.