I'm demisexual - where do I fit into the LGBTQ+ community?

Kimberly Claudat, PhD

I'm a cognitive-behavioral therapist, here to support you in learning skills to cope with depression, anxiety, and painful emotions through a collaborative approach.

Olweg
Demisexuality can be seen as belonging in the asexual spectrum. But personaly (being demisexual), I don't consider it as a source of oppression. People don't get discriminated by being demi. They surely can feel different and have struggles about it... but there isn't any systemic oppression about it. As a pansexual trans man in a gay relationship, I can assure you it isn't like, at all.. So in itself, I would then say that being demisexual doesn't make you fit in the LGBTQI+, because clearly, what gather LGBTQIAP+ (or MOGAI / MOGII) people is the fact that we all get systemic oppression on us due to our "transness", sexual characteristics (for intersex people) and sexual/romantic orientations... I hope it helps. I'm not saying demi can't live violence, insults or be laughed at because of the fact they're demi. But it's not in any way a systemic oppression. So it's important to keep that in mind, as a mark of respect for LGBTQIAP+ people :)
Demisexual are generally associated with asexuals - so they would be part of the A in LGBTQIAP. It may still not be a widely known reality, but awareness is spreading and we can all contribute to it. Demisexual people are definitely part of the community!