I'm love with my best friend, but she's straight. What do I do?

Brittany Kelley, MSW, LCSW

I am a psychodynamically trained clinical social worker. I find assisting women and families through difficult times an extremely rewarding and collaborative process.

ausimtin
Although it may be frustrating or sad that you like someone that doesn't like you back, it's important to remember that she is your best friend and that she would never want to hurt you on purpose. Of course, it is disappointing and feel s hopeless to be in love with someone who doesn't reciprocate the feelings but you should try your best to accept it since you cannot change someone's sexual orientation. If you have told her and she has told you that she doesn't feel the same way just tell her that you will still be her friend either way.
YeBoiiJ254
Well, you should respect your best friend's sexuality. Everybody has their own will to be of whatever sexuality they want to be. If you attempt to talk to her about the whole situation, and she does not seem like she is comfortable with it, then you should respect that and just ignore that in love feeling furthermore and stick to her as your best friend. If you truly care about your best friend, then you should respect her personal emotions and likings, and that includes sexuality. The answer to the situation is all based on respect for your best friend's sexuality. If she is of a different sexuality, then just respect that at all costs.
sereneIceCream86
Tell her how you feel. she may not feel the same, and it may be awkward, but things will get better, and i'm sure you will remain best friends. I feel the same way. I have liked my best friend for a while now but he is gay. i understand how you feel. maybe try writing her a letter, or sending a text if telling her in person is too difficult. just know you are not alone. 7cups is here to listen and support you 100%. Wish you the best of luck in fulfilling your wishes in 7cups.
Anonymous
I know how this feels, you should follow your heart, but be cautious and careful with what you choose to do. Don't let anxiety get to you, and do not bottle up your feelings either. If you feel you need to talk more about it, you can reach out to an active listener here on 7 cups of tea, or get more advice from those who support you most! Also, sometimes things can seem really stressful when managing those feelings, but if you just take a deep breath and remind yourself it will be alright, then it really will be!
Anonymous
I'm sorry, this situation is so common but so painful. There's not much to do, if you're certain she's not interested then you just need to accept that and move on. You could decide to talk to her about it, to let her know how you feel, but I don't recommend that if you want to keep her as a friend. It might just end up causing unwanted tension. You could use the time alone of self-isolation to work on it. A bit of time separated from here will probably help. I hope this is helpful, and hope that you can get over this situation soon. Have a lovely day!
friendlyHero5631
There's not a lot you can do. First, are you sure she's straight? If so, you have two options. You can confess to her and face the possibility of your friendship changing and becoming awkward. She might be really cool about it and could just strengthen your relationship. In the best case scenario, even if she's straight she realizes she like you or it turns out she was questions and maybe (hopefully) liked you back. There's a lot of possibilities that could occur if you tell her but if you don't, your friendships stays the same and you slowly move on. You now have to figure out what is more important to you.
Anonymous
I've been there, and I know how tough this can be. This will be hard to hear, but you have to force yourself to move on - she's still your best friend, straight or not, and the best chance of continuing to have a good friendship with her is if you don't let your romantic feeling overtake your platonic ones. Remind yourself why you became friends with her while also reminding yourself that she's straight and unavailable. If you need to, try and keep some distance between you for a week or two to help yourself move on. Best of luck! I know it's hard but you'll be okay
SarahR0SE
Before you act in any way, I would take time to reflect on what you want the outcome to be. If you decide you want to tell her how you feel, make sure you are prepared for her reaction. She may not take this well and it could change your friendship forever. If you decide to keep this to not tell her, then maybe talk to others to manage your emotions. Accept how you feel and then try to move on from the situation. These feelings can be difficult to deal with so i think it would be beneficial to talk them through. Warm wishes
Anonymous
You could always express your feelings and see if there is any chance that she might feel the same way. You will never know for sure unless you ask/express your feelings for her. If you already know for sure, you have your friendship with her and hopefully she is supportive of you looking for love in the LGBT community. A good friendship can be just as important as a good relationship though. It is difficult to decided what will be best to do in your situation, but you can always evaluate everything and decide on which direction is best to pursue.
Anonymous
Try to tell her that you are indeed having feelings towards her, however if you feel that this will strain your relationship possibly try to put yourself in her sure which could be a lot better. She would feel quite awkward and maybe slightly uncomfortable but trust yourself that the feelings will pass. You know your best friend better than anyone else so you will be able to judge how she will react to you telling her if you do like her. Just think and put yourself in her shoes before you say anything to make sure you are both comfortable.
Ajaxsmith181
Realize that these emotions are completely normal and many people experience them. Process the emotions and find the best way for you to deal with them. The best way for you might be talking to your best friend about it and trying to get through this together. Or it could be distancing yourself from her until you get over her. It could be something completely different but just know that you will find a way to get through it. Try to imagine the best case scenario in each situation and know that whatever happens at the end of the day she is your best friend and will be understanding.
EDDIE4k5
Oh, it is okay. Let assume that the premise: "She is straight" is true. This mean two thing: 1. People mean different things when they talk about straight. There are biromantic heterosexual people, and on the other end there are heteroromantic bisexual people. You cannot assume that there is a big chance that she does not find you sexually or romantically attractive. 2. Respect her in the name of love. You might never know what her true feelings are, but remember that your crush might be asexual, pansexual,... Maybe she don't even know. The only thing you can ascertain is respect. Pay respect to her, and you would feel loved, regardless.
Anonymous
I completely understand the conflicted feeling you might be suffering from. I know it is tough going through this situation but letting them know would allow you to pour out your feelings and make the best out of you guy's relationship. It doesn't matter whether if she is straight or now, just know that she appreciates you as a person and you guy's relationship. I honestly hope you will feel better after telling her in a way that won't make her feel bad. It is also okay to not tell her too! It's always up to you but remember to not bottle up all the feelings and hurt yourself. Remember that there are always people out there that will find the time to make you feel better and walk with you out of there.
Anonymous
I also developed feelings for my straight best friend when I was first discovering my sexuality. She was the prettiest girl and so amazingly funny. We seemed like the perfect match for each other as we were well, best friends. However, no matter how much I talked to her and tried to show her I was interested in, she never reciprocated. It took me awhile to realize that I could never change her sexuality, just how I would never want anyone to change mine. I was in love with her, but I had to realize that my romantic feelings would never be returned. Once I came to that realization, it did hurt, and I did cry many times late at night, but I was able to separate myself from those overwhelming feelings. Sometimes the best thing you can do is understand how she feels towards you, and realize that the best thing you can do is move on.
cuddlyLion8201
Ah been there my friend. It’s hard because you love her but she is straight. When I went through this I kept telling myself there is someone that is out there for me even though I don’t know who it is or when I will meet them. It’s alright to feel sad or disappointed about your friend. Friendships are hard they come and go but things always get better. I still am in love with my friend but I have accepted that it isn’t going to happen and just to be glad that I have her as friend. I hope this helps - lion
Anonymous
Tell her and let her no that you don't want to ruin your friendship because of that and hope she doesn't find it awkward,she should know that you don't want your friendship to end because of this that you will always be freinds and it doesn't change anything, and if she accepts that and doesn't do anything shes an amazing best friend and u liking doesn't matter to her cause she loves you for you and sees you as her best friend forever and she is willing to ignore the fact that you liker and niy change anything at all
Auska
Calm collected communication is always key. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. If they understand but want to stay friends that's great! It's okay to talk about emotions and how they make you feel, but don't confess your feelings like a love drunken sailor. It also depends on how long you've been friends. Remember that friends come and go, but the ones that are most important will find a way to stay in your life! Communication is always key, don't feel sorry for how you feel either. If you want to express your feelings and they don't feel the same way, but they want to continue be friends, then things will work themselves out and your friendship will grow stronger! Good luck out there!