I've finally come to terms with my sexuality (lesbian) but I don't know how to find my gender identity. I like boy clothes but it still feels so wrong to be masculine. Any tips?

Jennifer Dolphin, LPC

I am a client-centered therapist who works to meet clients where they're at in order to provide compassionate support and guidance.

spacedouthashbrown
Hey, listen, don't worry about it. You are measured on three spectrums- sexuality, gender, and gender expression. You may dress like a boy and be completely comfortable with your body.
delicatdreamer16
For me, the best way to try to understand your identity is to just experiment. If you have a close friend that you trust have them call you different pronouns/refer to you with a different gender/etc. Look up some terms and definitions, how does it feel mentally associating with those. Also, keep in mind that gender identity and expression are very different. You can identify as a guy/gal/nonbinary pal and express as feminine/masculine/androgynous. If you like masculine clothes but it feels wrong to be masculine try to understand why. Is that just an instance where your expression doesn't follow the societal stereotypes for your gender and that's it? Or, are you internalizing something? It's okay to play around with things until something feels right. It's also okay to feel differently from day to day to week to month to year.
Anonymous
These are just possible suggestions, but you may or may not be any of the following: gender fluid, non binary, bigender, pangender, agender, etc.
Opalescentrose
Experiment with gender, explore and find yourself, in the meantime you'll discover what the perfect label is for you.
Anonymous
This is completely fine. If you feel like you are a lesbian, you are probably cisgender, which means that you’re comfortable with the gender you were assigned at birth. The way you talk about yourself not wanting to feel masculine, you might just be a tomboy, and that is perfectly fine. But if you don’t really feel like a girl, either, you can do research on other gender identities and see which one fits you the best. I can see that you are still questioning yourself, so I think researching gender identities might be good for you. Good luck!
If you don't feel masculine, if you feel like you're a woman and you could not be anything else, that is simply who you are! The clothes you like do not determine your gender identity, it goes much deeper than that. You can wear all the boy clothes you like and still be female! However, I'm assuming that with " feels so wrong to be masculine" you mean you don't feel like you're a man. If you meant instead that you do feel masculine, but the sense of "wrong" comes from cultural background, than you're free to keep questioning your gender identity and whatever cultural element that may be messing with your perceptions. But if you don't feel like a man at all and you simply enjoy boy clothes, if it's all about exterior look rather than interior feelings, than a woman is what you are!