My partner and I are in our 50s. Her parents are in their 80s. She's not out to them. To go to her family gatherings I pretend I'm just a friend. I feel like a dirty secret. I want it to stop?

Temi Coker, MSC, MA, Dip.Cons

With over ten years experience, I offer a safe and confidential environment  for you to collect your thoughts, worries & life problems with no judgement or assumptions.    

Communication is probably the best way out of this. I know you don't want to hurt her, but you have the right to tell them how this situation makes you feel, and she shouldn't ignore your feelings. You can try to discuss it together, work on it, understand each other's reasons and see if you can find a solution together. Openness is hard, but it's the only way to make sure you can make things better together. If you won't be able to do so, you'll have to consider what can truly make you happy.