What does it mean to be Queer?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

mynameismelanie
Queer, in my mind, is someone who thinks of themselves as LGBT+. They can be out, closeted, or in between. Queer is a blunt term, but if you want to call yourself it, okay!
Anonymous
Like many terms in the LGBT+ community, the term "queer" doesn't have one single universally-agreed-upon definition, but I think it's generally considered to be when someone is not cis and/or heterosexual. Some people don't like the term, however, so it's a good idea to use it with some caution.
staybelieving
Queer is used as an umbrella term for anyone other than a heteromantic heterosexual, though I find that not all people who identify as not straight identify as queer, for any number of reasons. Often this is because queer has been used as a slur.
Anonymous
Being queer means a lot of things, depending on how you use it. There are some who see the term as an equivalent for being gay but I prefer to use it as an umbrela term for lgtbq+. With that, it can mean that you are gay, lesbian, asexual, trans, nonbinary and more.
mjolnir
“Queer” can be used to describe someone’s sexual orientation or stand as a political statement. Its definition has many dimensions, from gender identification to a resistance against structural rigidity to a strange sensation or state of being. “Queer” isn’t a word that many people clearly understand when used to describe yourself. Being queer means embracing a free and open-ended identity by casting off all other identities that categorise us, and defining ourselves simply as human beings.
aloecactus
Queer is an umbrella term when it comes to talking about the LGBTQ community, with the 'Q' standing in for 'queer'! It can refer to a general sexuality or you can even be genderqueer! The definition will always vary from person to person, experience to experience.
ImHereForYou366
It means you might be interested in the same gender you are or possibly both genders which is a wonderful thing!
charmingLion54
To be yourself in whatever your feelings toward love of another human would be. It is never wrong to love someone as a soul and not to follow the status quo or whatever other people think. You should never feel pressure from others, including family, to negate your feelings. By being open to yourself, you can become open to others. There is a majority of people around the world that supports you and will stand behind you.
politeBike14
It only means that you are different from some of the other people around you in a way and you are beautiful and you are doing just fine!
ABeautifulDayInTheGayborhood
Being queer is unique. It can be many things. Someone who is queer can use it as a label for sexau, romantic attraction or their gender. Others use queer as an umbrella term for the lgbt community as a whole.
Anonymous
It's a big umbrella term for the LGBTQ+ community, the Q in the acronym stands for queer. It also can mean strange or weird. (It can be perceived as incredibly disrespectful depending on who you point it towards.
Starsoul
It was used originally as an adjective to describe something eccentric and unconventional, "differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal" (definition from Merriam-Webster), but nowadays it is also an umbrella term for LGBTQ+ minorities (anyone who's not straight and/or cisgender). Some people I know use it as a term to describe their sexuality while they're still figuring it out: they know they're not straight for sure, but they still don't know what they are or don't care to figure it out or define it in details. Sometimes sexuality can be nebulous and it has a very vast spectrum, so instead of exactly labeling yourself you can just use the term "queer".
Tyaaron556
Queers dictionary definition is to be different. But it can mean various things to other people it can mean you think of yourself as odd if you identify as it. And some mean it to be apart of the LGBTQ community but don't want to specifically identify with anything. Its truly differs on the person
kindWaterfall10
Queer can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. For many, it's seen as the LGBTQ umbrella term meaning not straight, as originally this word meant (and can still mean) odd, or abnormal. Others use it to describe themselves. It means that they're not straight but don't put themselves in another box (bisexual, pansexual) etc, and just say they're "queer". This can be because they aren't sure of their sexuality yet but know they aren't straight, but some people identify as Queer their entire lives. To me, Queer has always meant sexually fluid and open, usually multisexual individuals.
Anonymous
To be Queer means to belong to the LGBT+ community. It's usually considered an umbrella term, however, every LGBT+ person can understand it differently and identify as queer and it can mean a different thing for them. Sometimes people considered themselves queer when they don't have their sexuality or gender figured out. It's different for everyone c:
Anonymous
What I have always appreciated about the word "Queer" is that, far from being a pejorative or negative term, it highlights the uniqueness that is YOU as an individual with a sexual identity. This identity may not fit into any pre-defined "box" but it is a personal part of who you are that may change, adapt, and grow as you learn more about yourself. Queer identities may be any number of identities and expressions of gender or sexual orientation. You get to decide what "Queer" means to you. Best to you on your journey!
TranquilLily8
I feel as though being queer can be interpreted many ways, some people might take it negatively and some people might take it positively. If you identify as queer in a postive light, you are simply stating that your gender and/or sexuality is fluid or different in some way shape or form. However this term may be considered negative to some people. The term queer may minimize someones sexual and/or gender identity. For example a trans person might feel offended if you call them queer because genderwise they are not queer. Also people who are homophobic and/or transphobic may use this term in another way to offend an lgbtq person. But to me, queer is a term I generally dont like to use. I dont really like the history behind the term and it is
Anonymous
To be queer is a broad term for anyone who is not heterosexual or cisgender. So it means you could be gay, bisexual, asexual, pansexual, male to female, female to male, genderfluid, among many other things (LGBTQA+).
Anonymous
Knowing that your identity is no longer simply binary - especially when it comes to sexuality or gender identity. Being Queer is a statement - an identification with the fact that you are different, not in worth, but in perception. When it comes to details, it may be that there exists a specific term you identify with, but being Queer is to look beyond such boundaries. It is proclaiming that you are different - and being okay with it.
henriquepjoca
Be queer means to be yourself and be proud of who you are! It is to love whoever you want to love. It is to be proud and strong.
Anonymous
"Being queer" has many defintions, really. I will try to explain MY definition of queer. Most of the times, people using this term are not comfortable to "label" themselves based on their behavior. For example, it is totally fine for you to either be a boy, be a girl, or to be gay at the same time perhaps, or to identify as something without a specific name! Queer people just do not like it to be put in one or another of these 2 gender role boxes. And they are more than right: why should you be defined by all those stereotypes of modern day society, right? Love, Myrthe
Am3r1canDrag0n
anything on the spectrum, it's something hard to define simply because it's an umbrella term, or a term used by people who don't want a bunch of terms boxing them in, or their views on themselves change.
Anonymous
By the book, it means ones identity to be divergent from heterosexuality. Not by the book, that is a tricky question, at least for me. I feel like for me, it symbolizes freedom of expression and a break away from tradition of seeing people for what is between their legs (I am gender fluid). For me, being queer, means being unapologetic about whom I like, about seeing people for who they are and loving them for their history, what has brought them to be that which is in front of me. I feel more in touch with my humanity and that much closer to understanding myself. Every day is a journey.
Anonymous
can be used to describe someone's sexual orientation or stand as a political statement. Its definition has many dimensions, from gender identification to a resistance against structural rigidity to a strange sensation or state of being.
strawberryman23
Queer is an umbrella term describing anyone in the LGBT community. It can be used to describe anyone who is not straight or cisgender.
peacefulHug92
February 3rd, 2018 7:35pm
I means being anything that isn't straight or cis, for example being lgbtq+ (the 'q' meaning queer) ❤
Anonymous
To be queer means to be homosexual and like the same gender as you. Alternatively, it means eccentric or weird.
Anonymous
It is a rudely used term for being LGBTQ+. Or rather, it was. Now it is commonly used without any rudeness.
AlexMusic99
It means loving who you love and being yourself and expressing yourself in anyway you feel represents you. Dressing how you want and styling yourself how works well for you. It allows you to be yourself in an open community.
Teddy9
February 21st, 2018 1:21pm
queer can mean anything, being part of the lgbt community is one way to describe it. your sexual orientation or gender does not mean weather you are or not, its your choice