What does it mean to be Queer?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

Anonymous
To be anything different than the strict set heteronormative standards used buy most of society, whether that be sexuality other that heterosexual hetero-romantic, a gender identity non-conforming with that if your birth, or something else that sets you apart
Anonymous
Queer is a basic umbrella term that is used for either sexuality or gender. Sometimes it is used to help someone figure out what they're feeling (same-sex feelings for example) and they're not sure how to describe themselves. Sometimes it is used for people who prefer not to use labels, and all of this is perfectly okay.
Anonymous
May 23rd, 2018 2:09am
To be queer is to be a sexuality that differs from heterosexual in any way or having a gender identity different than cisgender (although this is usually referred to as genderqueer)
mindfulmadi
May 23rd, 2018 7:10am
to be queer is another word for gay/lesbian, being queer is nothing to be ashamed of and should not be seen as a bad thing. if you have any further questions about this, message me and i’ll try my best to support and answer all your questions you may have.
Anonymous
To be queer means to be a part of the lgbt+ community. Most people who identify as queer don’t have a label that fits them specificily.
Anonymous
one definition is "strange"- the other means "gay/homosexual"...
YellowButterScotch
Being queer can mean lots of things for lots of people! A lot of time people identify as queer because they don’t find a specific label that fits or they just don’t want to define themselves. Both are good and valid reasons.
YourTypicalAverageTeen
Queer is an umbrella term for a person who belongs in the LGBT+ community, or isn't heterosexual and/or cisgender. Originally meaning "strange" or "peculiar", queer came to be used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires or relationships in the late 19th century.
mrgnhbrt
To me, being queer means to be different. A person doesn’t have to be in the LGBTQ+ community to identify as queer.
queerness3
June 22nd, 2018 7:01am
to me being queer is being LGBTQ+. well, more specifically like more than one gender sexually/romantically. it doesn’t always mean the same to everyone.
offmilk
For me, being a non-binary ace/aro, being able to identify my differences and just being able to proudly accept who I am on a daily basis is what it means to be queer.
Youtiful
I find that the best explanation for this comes from the colors of the Pride flag. Red - Red symbolizes life. The queer community is bursting at the seams with life and joy. Orange - Orange represents healing. In a homophobic society, there is plenty of room for healing and becoming an ally. Yellow - Yellow represents sunlight. It sends a message of being yourself, rather than hiding in the shadows. Green - Green represents nature, and that what we are is perfectly natural. Blue - Blue repr sents serenity, and that we wish to live peacefully alongside our straight counterparts. Purple - Purple represents spirit. That even if you put us down, we will overcome.
PositivePotato11
To be queer keans you identify as anything ither than Straight, but you don't have a definitive label! This makes you part of the LGBT+ community!
Anonymous
To not define yourself as the normal gender or sexuality standards. Initially queer meant weird therefore it was transferred to the lgbtq society
NeonPaladin
A queer person is someone who identifies outside of "heterosexual" or "cisgender", often people who are members of the LGBT community, but generally are people who are in some way attracted to the opposite sex or identify as something outside of their birth gender.
Leethelion
It means to be part of the LGBTQ+ community or be weird. Gay, in case you were wondering, means to be happy or be a man who is attracted to only other males.
Anonymous
elating to a sexual or gender identity that does not correspond to established ideas of sexuality and gender, especially heterosexual norms
Anonymous
To be in the LGBT+ community, therefore you either feel attracted to the same gender, feel like you belong in a different gender, feel no sexual desires and etc
alwayshere789
Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or cisgender. The word was usually used with the meaning "strange" or "peculiar".
Anonymous
It means your identity and/or sexuality doesn't match the mainstream, nor the typical labels like gay, lesbian etc. People who are non-binary might use the term Queer because gay = 2 guys and lesbian = 2 girls, to which they are not a guy or girl. Queer is a vague way of telling others that you're a part of the LGBTQ+ community without disclosing your gender or sexual preferrence
strawberryblonde4315
Someone who identifies as LGBTQ+ but isn't quite sure what genders are their romantic or sexual preference.
Anonymous
Queer means to be something a little different to the normal society standards sexuality and gender stand point and to just be who ya are on the inside
Anonymous
To be queer means to be powerful. I am pansexual, and I have heard “queer” as an insult many times. The LGBTQ+ community reclaimed that word, and now “queer” means a powerful and beautiful person.
Anonymous
It's an umbrella term for anyone who isn't the heterosexual norm. It does not determine your gender like lesbian or gay.
Diya83
It means that you’re part of the LGBT+. You could be gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, pansexual, asexual, etc
musicalHope13
To be queer means that you're not cisgender and heterosexual. Whether that means you're a lesbian, gay, bi, pan, ace, aro, an enby, or anything in between, you're queer, just because you're not cishet.
Opalescentrose
If feel queer is an umbrella term used to describe sexual and gender identities "outside of the norm" by society's standards (heterosexual/heteroromantic, cisgender). So as long as you are not all of these you are queer. A cis lesbian would be just as queer as a trans lesbian, for example, since they are out of the cishet category
LunarLemon8
Being queer is when you're not cis-gender or straight or hetero-romantic. So to say it easy: being queer is the opposite of being straight, "non-normative" as wikipedia would say. So being queer means that you're part of the lgbtq+ specturm
Anonymous
For me, Queer means whatever I feel like on that particular day! One of the benefits of a catch-all term like "Queer" as opposed to "Bisexual" or "Gay", or even "Homosexual" is that it allows me the chance to continue to evolve without having to continually change how I label my sexuality.
Anonymous
It means you don't identify as a specific sexuality. Some people also use it as a word encompassing all LGBT+ people, but it depends on who you ask. If someone wants to be called queer, it is completely their choice.