Who should I come out to first? Family or friends?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

Anonymous
I suppose it helps to weigh up who will be the most accepting and supportive! The situation will depend on your personal relationship with friends and family members. Once you've come out to one accepting person, not only is it much easier to come out again but that person can help you with coming out to others! Good luck with coming out ^-^
HereComesTheSun7
There is not a single answer, it can be different to each person. I think the most important it's that you feel comfortable with the first person you are going to talk about it. You can tell who you trust the most first or who you want them to know first. I hope that you'll find support in them.
Vendavale1
To whoever makes you feel comfortable, if it's a pretty serious thing, look for professional help. Safety first.
Anonymous
Coming out is not an easy thing to do, and deciding on whether or not to come out to your friends or family first is something that is entirely up to how comfortable you are with those people. When I came out, I came out to my friends first, to see what their reactions would be, and then to ask them how to come out to my family, and for support. Deciding on who to come out to first is up to you to decide, and about how comfortable you are with that group of people.
sillyseraph002
that depends entirely on who you feel most comfortable talking to about this subject. it can be a difficult to have, so I do recommend picking someone who will be accepting
SilverEars
Whoever you are most comfortable with. Whoever you feel it is safest to come out to first.
Anonymous
Coming out to someone is a very big step and it’s great that you’re thinking about it! What matters the most is that you’re comfortable and confident in yourself, in who you are, and in your choice to come out. Also make sure that you’re in a safe environment, both mentally and physically, before you come out. There is no right or wrong person to come out to first it just matters who you feel safe confiding in and coming out to. No matter what remember that you are loved and have a whole community behind you that will support you no matter what.
Coming out is something very personal, so you're free to decide if and when to do it, however and with whoever you prefer. It's all about what would make you feel more comfortable, and who you would be more comfortable opening up with. Whatever you decide, both family and friends can be very important sources of support, so you're free to start with whoever you prefer!