Why do I always struggle showing my true self to everyone?

Sarah Spiro, LCSW

I look forward to creating a partnership with you and being by your side through this time in your life.

Anonymous
That's an interesting question. It's one that I'm still dealing with right now. I don't know *why* it happens, because that's different for every person. For me, it's partly because of a sense of vulnerability and fear of judgment from those who know me. I can also feel like there's no one who will understand and no one I can trust. But no matter what the reason is, it seems like you do want to show your true self and be more open and unafraid of expressing yourself. If you keep on trying, work out the reasons for why you struggle and find ways to combat them, you can achieve this.
Nightshade262
I'm afraid that they'll leave me. So many people have left in my life and I'm scared to show my true self because of that.
It may be because you have internalized something from a close-minded upbringing or environment. It may be because of fears of people's reaction. There could be many reasons, but it helps a lot to surround yourself with supportive people and work on your self-love to increase your confidence and strength when it comes to opening up. It helps to know you're not alone!
Anonymous
It happens to everyone, I am still struggling with that. There is nothing wrong with being self conscious, but in the end of the day it is you that can make the decision.
Uniquelovelysoul17
It is only human to sometimes struggle showing your true colors to others, nowadays people are so quick to judge. It's not a problem within, it's a problem around.
Flags
Everyone is struggling to show everyone their true self. It could because of the norms society has dictated upon us or merely because of the upbringing we received and their environmental factors. The best way to feel better is to stop and think whether your actions will hurt others and if they really don't, I couldn't a legit enough reason to restrict yourself.
yurannus
Just come and say loudly who you really are you dont have to struggle if they dont like you or they have a problem with YOUR TRUE SELF its their problem then do not think too much about other peoples problem!!
Anonymous
It is a possibility that you are either ashamed of who you are. Or you're scared of what they might think.
Being true to yourself is a really important thing. When you struggle by being someone else or not true to yourself in other words you tend to find things harder to deal with and you will always feel insecure worrying that someone will find out the truth about you. The people around you can also vary when you are not yourself as to when you are yourself (exp: Friends). You will always want to have friends with you that knows your true self rather than the ones that don't. Cause the ones that don't finds it easier to leave when they find out the truth.
Markimoo
It is normal to be scared for that. In fact, most people do not show their true selves to people due to being embarrassed or what not. An example would be showing your cuts to someone. You may start to cry because you are showing yourself to someone. You might need to only show your true self to certain people or show certain parts of your true self to certain people.
avocadoallyson
Showing your true self to everyone is difficult because it can feel very vulnerable. Often we can be ourselves around people that love and support us because we know they will accept us, but we struggle to be ourselves around unfamiliar people because we don't know how they will react. It's OK to be more reserved around some people. It doesn't mean you aren't being your true self: it just means that you're establishing trust.
LilGreenBird
We do this to protect ourselves from unwanted judgement. Honestly this is normal. The way you act around a stranger compared to your closest friend is completely different. You know your boundaries, so feel free to open up at your own pace.
Anonymous
There always resides the fear of judgement and not being enough. For sone people taking judgement is easier while you may be having a bit of a harder time dealing with. I would suggest, if you may, for you to start with small, baby steps. Start revealing very small, miniscule portions of your true self to people and take their response in good light. I hope things work out for you! :)
Anonymous
Showing your true self to others can be scary so maybe you struggle to do so because you fear they will reject you or disapprove.