Why do people feel the liberty to ask personal questions about my sexual life when I "come out" or let them know my sexual orientation?

Amy Justice, BS, MA, LPC

My passion is to help people overcome feeling "stuck" in unhealthy patterns by facilitating real, healthy changes through self-discovery and practical applications.

dhend0
People are generally inquisitive, they're just most likely intrigued, however you shouldn't feel pressured to answer any questions you don't feel comfortable asking.
Anonymous
It often seems rude for the person to do this, but if they don't have a common sexual orientation, people get curious and want to know more from a real-life person.
Anonymous
People are curious and may be attempting to understand you by asking these questions. Answer only the ones you feel comfortable answering and don't forget to remind them that being LGBTQ is not all about sex and shouldn't be discussed only in those terms. It's about affection, love, and companionship - just like heterosexual relationships are.
helpfuldot
Individuals are curious and many times don't seem to think through what exactly it is they are asking. If someone asks you a question about your sexuality you don't have to answer them. They may want to learn about different genders and orientations, but you aren't obligated to be the one to teach them.
Serenadex
Because people are curious about things they didnt experienced by themself, therefore they try to get to know something about it from people who are "into this"
kindheartedSky78
I hear what you are saying, I am not sure why people feel that they can ask what they want just because you have disclosed to them your sexual orientation? I am wondering how it is that you respond when these questions are asked
FaithfulPerson
I think that people are curious because either they don't understand and would like to or they are questioning their own sexual orientation. I find it helpful to create and maintain healthy boundaries in a situation such as this. For example, if someone asks me a question I am uncomfortable answering, I might say something like this... "Dear Person, I understand that you are curious about my sexual orientation. However, I do not feel comfortable sharing with you detailed information about my sexual life."
Anonymous
They may be curious because they did not think that, that was your orientaion. They wish to know more about you or if there is more they don't know about you.
StephFerret
The nice answer is to say, "They are just curious" but my honest answer is that it's pretty rude, it is an example of entitlement and a show that they are uneducated and have decided to put it on you to educate them. Furthermore it is a way of highlighting that they perceive you as "other". You don't have to tell anyone anything you don't want to and it's ok to reinforce your if this makes you uncomfortable, it is understandable! If you have the patience to educate them, that's ok too. :)
Josephs1231
Most persons just want to know what the life of a gay/bi or tans is most are curious and may have a liking towards it or just want to have a knowledge
Jettalynnn
In personal experience, when I came out to my parents they kept asking about my sexual life like something has change. Something did change I came out and finally became myself. Somehow, my parents and friends thought changed completely as a person. Before I came out, I was really anti social, not many friends and my sexual life was nothing. After I came out, my family though my sex life was there business but really it wasn't.
RainbowTrie
February 23rd, 2016 2:48pm
That's a great question. Sexual topics are tricky for most people and we're often not taught how to broach them. So, people tend to keep quiet. When you begin a conversation about sexuality, people will sometimes forget the normal limits and rules of conversation because the feel nervous and confused about the topic of sexuality all together. With these people, it's important to have patience and remember that they are learning, too. Politely make your boundaries known and don't let anyone push you into telling more than you feel comfortable sharing.
LonelyAngels
because all human have freedom to ask questions... moreover its part of their personality, and it means also they want a connection (good or bad) with u true that questions. It fulfills their curiosity desires...that's how humanity is :) but we are also have the freedom to stay quiet about it right?
Anonymous
People are fascinated and confused by people who are different. When they meet someone is different, they would like to know how they live their life. Some of their questions are, of course, very intrusive and personal. My recommendation for these situations is to politely decline to disclose.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2016 1:40am
Although people's questions can be rude and uncomfortable, the "liberty" they feel often stems from curiosity. People want to know, and don't know that the questions they are asking are inappropriate. This isn't always the case; but remember that you always have the right to call someone out on an inappropriate question and let them know that you're not comfortable answering what they're asking.
Tarnes9105
thoughtfulPomegranate86
I have often wondered the same thing, generally people are just insensitive and curious. The best thing is to educate them and let them know it's rude to ask. If you don't go around asking why they are straight they shouldn't do the same
hardtimesbetterlife12
It is human nature to bed curious or even hostile about things one has yet to experience within themselves. I often find myself questioning people about things i don't understand.
Sintix
Most the time, people are just being curious. They don't mean to overstep, but end up doing so. It's natural human instinct to wonder.
FromDrewWithLove
They lose their filter a little bit. They become curious; you don't have the same experiences as them (necessarily), so they want to know the differences and similarities. It's a wee bit rude in most contexts, but usually it's curiosity mixed with loss of filter. Usually people aren't intending to be rude when they ask, nor do they aim to make you uncomfortable most of the time. Some do, but most just don't know how to filter some things out.