Why is pride forced? I just want to be normal and blend in, I don't understand why I should be proud about something I have no control over.

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Pride is not about being proud about your sexuality or gender identity, that's simply how you're born, it's not a "merit". It's about being proud of living your identity openly and freely, despite all the hate and discrimination that LGBT people still must face. That's worth celebrating! But you don't have to go to pride parades if you don't want - living freely is all about doing only what you want to do. There are hundreds of ways to live your identity openly.
BooksAndBeard
The reason that pride exists is as a combat to shame. Let's take a less charged example of Deaf Pride. Many deaf people are made to feel excluded or "lesser than". They're often thought of as less, or even thought of as stupid for thier disability. They often suffer from isolation and depression. When they have the opportunity to be with others who have been through the same experience and who they can communicate with, this helps eliminate that shame and replace it with feelings of joy about their individual and collective accomplishments. Many marginalized groups have similar experiences, and this is the origin of pride communities of all stripes.