Will my family accept me ? If not, what do I do ?

Graham Barrone, Adip ICHP, MCBT

If you've found that your quality of life has reduced because of anxiety, fear or some kind of mental hurdle that you just can't get over then lets chat.

LovingPhantom
They can if they are willing. If they don't, make sure you know you aren't to blame for their unacceptance of you. Some people just are stuck in their own ways.
RedStar77
Your family should love you no matter who you are or who you choose to be. Although things might be difficult and challenging at times we always have to remember it will get better.
peacefulSummer36
I've constantly struggled with that question. I still do. My grandparents don't accept me as I am because I am a free spirit and I choose my own path rather than the one they tried to set out for me. I have accepted that I will never be seen as one of the family. It wasn't easy, but I did it. You don't need their approval. You are wonderful the way you are! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It won't be an easy thing to overcome, but it IS possible. A good support system will help. We are always available here at 7 Cups! You can personally request a listener as well. Even if they aren't online, you can send them a message and they will help schedule a time to chat!
Allen39
It really depends. Try bringing up the topic of LGBT first to test the waters. If they aren't currently abusive in any way and seem fine with the subject, you might be totally safe coming out! If that's not the case, however, don't worry. Try finding some friends that accept you for positive reinforcement. Seek LGBT folk out online- we're here, I promise! There are always people who will accept you. Don't worry, and stay fabulous.
Emily619
Your family may or may not accept you. I know, I hate saying that. I absolutely hate saying that. Hate it. If they don't, get a close friend to help you. Believe me, they will support you out the wazoo.
December 3rd, 2015 2:21am
They are your family they should accept you and if they don't explain to them why you are how you are then maybe they will understand you better. Communication and understanding in family members goes a long way.
Anonymous
They probably will accept you, they're your family! They love you! And if they don't accept you (which they probably won't) then they aren't worth it. SImple as that
loislovesyou
Try to gain acceptance by politely asking, don't blame yourself. You deserve better, and they will always love you
creativeDay52
February 22nd, 2016 12:57am
I personally had to keep my sexuality secret to a family who would not accept it. I don't worry about what they think anymore because even though I love them, I need to be who I truly am.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2016 1:12am
Before you come out, ask yourself the following questions: Is it safe to come out to my family? How has my family talked about or reacted to the LGBTQ+ community in the past? Am I prepared for the changes that may come from me coming out? If you're feeling unsure about how your family will react, be sure to have a Plan B. This could be a friend who can support you or who you could stay with, another family member who you trust, etc.
Iauren
Everyone is different and it depends on how a person accepts another. As long as you're happy with yourself, you do not entirely need to worry about those who do not accept you. Look for the ones who do
Anonymous
These is hard, because what is the last thing we would do to aour parents? disepoint or do something they don't like right? But you know what? these is who you are, you can't do anything with it.. and you deserve to be happy! And just remember if they don't agree, or think it's okey, they still love you:)
dancingBeauty97
If your family doesn't accept you, just make sure you are safe. Some family react in a negative way. If you are living at home and they kick you out or hurt you, make sure you have somewhere safe to go. If not, make sure you are fully ready to come out. Question yourself, "should I wait a little longer?" If you are not living at home, give them time. They may not accept you now, but you never know what lies ahead in the future. If they do accept you that's great!
stayhereforus
It's important to note that if your family doesn't accept you, you still have options to turn to. Know that you are still loved by many and you still have a strong support system in a community of people that are just like you.
1musicloverever
Technically, they should no matter what. Sadly, sometimes people don't accept others like they should. That's when it comes to your own matters and you have to tell yourself that this is who you are. You need to love and accept yourself and then when you do, you can freely tell others, and if they don't accept you, then it's nothing you can do and you know that this is who you are and you are still an amazing person regardless. Not to mention, there are tons of people out there who WILL accept and love you for who you are.
Anonymous
Stand strong and understand that not everyone will accept you in this world but knowing that your family only wants the best for you
needashoulder143
They're your family. Whatever you will confess to them, If they don't accept you now, they will do eventually because they're your family. They love you and they're always there for you :)
Anonymous
Let the family have time, over time they will and know they love you deep down. If not: look to find support from friends and other members of our family outside the home.