I have a gay friend, and he called me crying when his mom told him that she’d kill any of her sons if they were gay. He doesn’t talk to me much anymore and he’s hurting himself, how can I help him?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

You can provide him with some good support resources, including LGBT hotlines, LGBT associations with support groups, counselling... Most importantly, let him know you're always there for him, he's safe with you and he can express his feelings. Don't force him, but encourage him to open up. Tell him you're always gonna be there to support him, no matter what. He can go through it, with enough love and support, if he allows people to help him.