How can I be happy without friends and family?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

Dawn04
Only you are in control of your own happiness (same with other emotions). It's not independent of anyone else.
Machapuchare
I find happiness in pursuing my goals, and celebrating small achievements along the way. Every success is a step forward, and every setback is a chance to learn something new.
Anonymous
Learn to love yourself and spend more time alone. This allows you to be comfortable being alone and not having to rely on others for happiness.
coolcalmcollected23
This is something I've spent the last year cultivating: how to be comfortable with being alone. What helps me is staying active, getting outside for a run, or going to a community yoga class. Feeling that solidarity with others while staying healthy is the best way I feel happy.
princess20shovi
happiness start from within- we need to understand that we cant expect our friends be responsible for our happiness, happiness is very personal thing, and it can change from on another.
tamleex3
Doing something you love, such as hobbies, doing a job that you enjoy such as like youtubers, being a one person business like an uber driver, meeting new random people everyday.
urbanwave
You have yourself, with your thoughts, feelings and memories stored inside you. You may not have them, but you have the memories.
SophiaPortendorfer
A person cannot live a happy life in isolation. However, an individual must have personal goals and motivations apart from their family and friends too. Love yourself fist, then love others like you love yourself.
flisk
I know this sounds easier said than done, but try to find worth and purpose in yourself and in your own life and existence. Although everyone has different experiences and reasons, I feel that many rely on friends and family as a buffer for self-esteem and as a measure of social-worth, even self-worth. Whilst this is not necessarily a bad thing, if one were to wish to be happy without friends or family, then one would have to rely on oneself. Perhaps try to focus on yourself and your own motivations and desires in life. Respect yourself and endeavour to find peace and fulfillment in yourself. Try to create a positive environment for yourself. However, there is nothing wrong with having a support network and reaching out to others! Do what you believe is the right thing to do for yourself. Ultimately, do what makes you happy. If this involves a more individual and introspective approach, go for it; If it involves other people, that is also fine. It may sound vague, but in the end, it's all down to you. There is no textbook answer to this as everyone has different experiences, desires, motivations, and personalities. But then again, this is merely my opinion and may not apply to everyone, so take this only with a grain of salt!
AbigailM83
I find happiness in simple things like books and tea, or playing with my dog, or taking a rest. This can also help me understand and work through what I am feeling.
tranquilShoulder91
You may not have others right now around you, but you have one voice that is the most important: yours. Not the one that looks from the mirror and tells you you're 'not enough - the feeling that gives you a warm blanket at night, a cup of tea, or just a smile and a sigh. You are the wise one. If you're alone right now, rest in the strength that you are following a path, and sometime sooner rather than later, the ones you are looking for will be by your side.
biggy07
self contentment and self love. Those two come in handy if ever you feel alone and world is being rough
Anonymous
Enjoying our own presence is a big step into maturity. There is a difference between being alone and feeling lonely. All you need is to identify where you stand and if you are ok to be without friends or family. There is no secret formula for hapiness. You should just find what is best for you. And if life forces you into a specific situation, just accept that and move on. In either way you are your own best friend.
TeaWithAFriend
Volunteer. Help those you can help. Pay attention to yourself and take notice of what you actually do that you enjoy doing and that doesn't involve having other people around. Do that more. If you can find a way to share what you love doing with the world and people like it, those people will become your fans and if you connect with others who do the same thing(s), those people may become your new friends that you have something in common with. For example, maybe you like taking walks. If you take photos of your walks and share them, people may like them on social media or at galleries if you take the time you used to spend on friends and spend it developing your photography skills. Or you may be able to find a group nearby of people who like to go on walks or who like taking nature photography. There are lots of local Instagram groups who meet up and just take pix together. Or go on meetup.com to find a nearby group of people who are into the things you like. There are many things you can do alone that are fun and that you can also do with people if you want and that will bring you closer to people if you focus on helping them while doing something you enjoy.
LifeIsNotEasyAlone
I don´t think you can be happy without family or friends. Friends are easier to be happy without but after a while it will get you to. I have experienced that too, I didn´t have any friends and at first it was all fine but then it hit me. family is family and you can´t be happy without them but as with friends it is manageable at first but then it will hit you. So to answer your question i will say : No. you can´t be happy without them, a little while but it will come to you again.
1musicloverever
I won't say that not having family and friends is easy to not have in your life, because eventually you'll want them in your life. I know that back in my senior year of high school I was so ready to leave and have freedom. To this day, I love it and wouldn't want it any other way, but I do have my moments where I miss my folks and some of my friends. But, I mean you can be happy without them. Do something that makes you happy, find new friends, pick up hobbies, distract yourself and sometimes it'll help.
AiTheZenNinja
You have yourself! This may sound weird but honestly you are the most important person in your life. Making new friends is easier than finding a family, but nothing is impossible! You be happy with yourself and the rest will become easier.
Innocentheart29
We ain't complete without friends and family... But there are times when they are not available for us. At such times we should just do things that please us... We should do interesting stuff... Go out on a refreshing walk... Shop for ourselves and our place. . And so on and so forth.
Anonymous
Do something you love, day dream, fly far way in your imagination. Favourite songs may help. Comedy movie is perfect for laughter.
SkysIris
Understand you’re good enough all by yourself. You’re a valuable person, and you don’t need the approval of anyone else for that to be true. When you’re alone, remind yourself that it’s because you choose to be. It really is a choice. It’s very easy to find someone to spend time with, but when you have high standards for the people you allow into your life, you’re telling yourself that you’re better off by yourself than with someone who isn’t a great fit for you.
Anonymous
Happiness doesn't have to come from other people, it can come for things you do or like. Thinking of all the things you have and are thankful for can also help.
ThomasLaughs
April 22nd, 2017 4:04am
Find your passions! Read, dance, explore, play, and listen to everything around you. People always jump to their phones or computers for pleasure, but there is so much more in life. What are you going to do this weekend? Check for concerts! Check for restaurants! Check for book stores! Look around you :D
heavenlydivne
By being alone! I believe that solitude is the best thing one can have apart from family and friends. Yes, they are important...but happiness comes fom within when you know and understand yourself, love yourself nad accept yourself, which is best done when alone.
Anonymous
It's tricky, but it can be done. And the answer is, in my opinion, is as cliche as it gets. Find other non-social interests, really, immerse yourself. In the initial stages, it drowns the loneliness and other bad feelings. It's good to try something you haven't ever done before, or may be something you did as a child. This will allow you to develop points of connections with other people with the same interests – places to go, things to discuss. It won't save you from never ever feeling lonely, but it will alleviate it. And in the end, you are more likely to make friends with those people than random ones you befriended just because you sat next to each other in class. Tl:dr: develop your interests.
aestheticutey
To be happy is an inside job. Being happy can be hard by yourself sometimes but doing the things you enjoy is really good! It helps you keep your mind of not being with people so you can actually enjo yourself.
Anonymous
Some people can be happy without friends or family, but it becomes more and more difficult as time goes by. Your mind won't allow you to be alone. This is when you might animate things around you or invent invisible friends to talk to. This is your mind's way of comforting you during difficult times. Humans actually are far more sociable creatures then they believe themselves to be.
politeBike14
You can try to enjoy nature or stick to a hobby that you really lke to do. Or you can try to help other people. Helping other people really makes one feel happy and important.
AliveSpirit
All you need to be happy is yourself. Old beliefs promote the main value of humankind: the spirit. This is all you need to be happy on this Planet!
Anonymous
The sun is shining. You woke up this morning. There are friends and family to be made everywhere, and 7 cups is a great way to connect.
angelofhope1
I think our future has a big part to play here. If we look towards a future we will know that more friendships are to be made. New relationships with family members can be built. Always look towards your future. Sometimes that's the only thing that can give you enough strength to survive in this world.