How can I be happy without friends and family?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

endlesstory
You have yourself, with your thoughts, feelings and memories stored inside you. You may not have them, but you have the memories.
SophiaPortendorfer
A person cannot live a happy life in isolation. However, an individual must have personal goals and motivations apart from their family and friends too. Love yourself fist, then love others like you love yourself.
flisk
I know this sounds easier said than done, but try to find worth and purpose in yourself and in your own life and existence. Although everyone has different experiences and reasons, I feel that many rely on friends and family as a buffer for self-esteem and as a measure of social-worth, even self-worth. Whilst this is not necessarily a bad thing, if one were to wish to be happy without friends or family, then one would have to rely on oneself. Perhaps try to focus on yourself and your own motivations and desires in life. Respect yourself and endeavour to find peace and fulfillment in yourself. Try to create a positive environment for yourself. However, there is nothing wrong with having a support network and reaching out to others! Do what you believe is the right thing to do for yourself. Ultimately, do what makes you happy. If this involves a more individual and introspective approach, go for it; If it involves other people, that is also fine. It may sound vague, but in the end, it's all down to you. There is no textbook answer to this as everyone has different experiences, desires, motivations, and personalities. But then again, this is merely my opinion and may not apply to everyone, so take this only with a grain of salt!
AbigailM83
I find happiness in simple things like books and tea, or playing with my dog, or taking a rest. This can also help me understand and work through what I am feeling.
TeaWithAFriend
Volunteer. Help those you can help. Pay attention to yourself and take notice of what you actually do that you enjoy doing and that doesn't involve having other people around. Do that more. If you can find a way to share what you love doing with the world and people like it, those people will become your fans and if you connect with others who do the same thing(s), those people may become your new friends that you have something in common with. For example, maybe you like taking walks. If you take photos of your walks and share them, people may like them on social media or at galleries if you take the time you used to spend on friends and spend it developing your photography skills. Or you may be able to find a group nearby of people who like to go on walks or who like taking nature photography. There are lots of local Instagram groups who meet up and just take pix together. Or go on meetup.com to find a nearby group of people who are into the things you like. There are many things you can do alone that are fun and that you can also do with people if you want and that will bring you closer to people if you focus on helping them while doing something you enjoy.
LifeIsNotEasyAlone
I don´t think you can be happy without family or friends. Friends are easier to be happy without but after a while it will get you to. I have experienced that too, I didn´t have any friends and at first it was all fine but then it hit me. family is family and you can´t be happy without them but as with friends it is manageable at first but then it will hit you. So to answer your question i will say : No. you can´t be happy without them, a little while but it will come to you again.
avanef
I won't say that not having family and friends is easy to not have in your life, because eventually you'll want them in your life. I know that back in my senior year of high school I was so ready to leave and have freedom. To this day, I love it and wouldn't want it any other way, but I do have my moments where I miss my folks and some of my friends. But, I mean you can be happy without them. Do something that makes you happy, find new friends, pick up hobbies, distract yourself and sometimes it'll help.
Innocentheart29
We ain't complete without friends and family... But there are times when they are not available for us. At such times we should just do things that please us... We should do interesting stuff... Go out on a refreshing walk... Shop for ourselves and our place. . And so on and so forth.
Anonymous
Do something you love, day dream, fly far way in your imagination. Favourite songs may help. Comedy movie is perfect for laughter.
Anonymous
Happiness doesn't have to come from other people, it can come for things you do or like. Thinking of all the things you have and are thankful for can also help.
ThomasLaughs
April 22nd, 2017 4:04am
Find your passions! Read, dance, explore, play, and listen to everything around you. People always jump to their phones or computers for pleasure, but there is so much more in life. What are you going to do this weekend? Check for concerts! Check for restaurants! Check for book stores! Look around you :D
heavenlydivne
By being alone! I believe that solitude is the best thing one can have apart from family and friends. Yes, they are important...but happiness comes fom within when you know and understand yourself, love yourself nad accept yourself, which is best done when alone.
Anonymous
It's tricky, but it can be done. And the answer is, in my opinion, is as cliche as it gets. Find other non-social interests, really, immerse yourself. In the initial stages, it drowns the loneliness and other bad feelings. It's good to try something you haven't ever done before, or may be something you did as a child. This will allow you to develop points of connections with other people with the same interests – places to go, things to discuss. It won't save you from never ever feeling lonely, but it will alleviate it. And in the end, you are more likely to make friends with those people than random ones you befriended just because you sat next to each other in class. Tl:dr: develop your interests.
aestheticutey
To be happy is an inside job. Being happy can be hard by yourself sometimes but doing the things you enjoy is really good! It helps you keep your mind of not being with people so you can actually enjo yourself.
Anonymous
Some people can be happy without friends or family, but it becomes more and more difficult as time goes by. Your mind won't allow you to be alone. This is when you might animate things around you or invent invisible friends to talk to. This is your mind's way of comforting you during difficult times. Humans actually are far more sociable creatures then they believe themselves to be.
politeBike14
You can try to enjoy nature or stick to a hobby that you really lke to do. Or you can try to help other people. Helping other people really makes one feel happy and important.
AliveSpirit
All you need to be happy is yourself. Old beliefs promote the main value of humankind: the spirit. This is all you need to be happy on this Planet!
angelofhope1
I think our future has a big part to play here. If we look towards a future we will know that more friendships are to be made. New relationships with family members can be built. Always look towards your future. Sometimes that's the only thing that can give you enough strength to survive in this world.
Phoenix326
It's possible to be happy on our own when we embrace our own individuality and strive to achieve our own happiness through goals that we create for ourselves.
ambiguities
Focus on loving yourself and doing everything you can to take care of yourself and your body. Example: do things that make you happy, do light exercises frequently, eat a balanced and healthy diet, and any other self care activities that you can think of.
Meowgic9792
Finding companionship through online games or joining an interest group. Take the time alone to do things that you personally love doing but never had the time for. Keep an unusual pet, play the games u never had time for, explore new opportunities and have new experiences
Anonymous
If you love yourself being happy will be a breeze. If you find things you love doing that dont require other people than you can be happy by yourself
20RA
Find things you enjoy, and become more confident in who you are as a person. You have to be able to be secure in the decisions you make and the things you decide to do.
Anonymous
Engage yourself in something you love to you ,focus on your career and work on yourself. Find happiness in things you do. But do make yourself busy and you will be happy on your own. Don't depend on anyone to feel happy.
Anonymous
to be happy with the person you are not the person people want or preserve you to be even if it makes others unhappy
Anonymous
Happiness is not an outside factor, it doesn't solely depend on your surrounding people or events or anything like that. Happiness lies within you. It's true there are outside factors that contribute to your happiness just like your friends and family. But the main reason is you. You only need yourself to start being happy, everything else is just the support :)
Anonymous
Try to make friends any friends, it doesnt matter if they are a little bit younger or older, just try to make friends that you will see everyday, if you are old enough get a girlfriend have kids and then your kids will have kids and then you would have grandkids, that is how you make a family.
Anonymous
Happiness is very much about finding comfort and acceptance in yourself. Of course, friends and family are important and can add to a persons happiness, but it isn't pivotal to being happy. I think that people think of happiness as smiling, going out and having fun, being the person you show to the world. But I think true happiness comes when you learn to accept yourself. When you try each day to better yourself and find success, whether it's in work, love or other adventures. Of course, finding contentment in who you are doesn't happen over night. For most, it's a process that takes years of self discovery. Finding out what makes you happy, without replying on other people to do it for you. It really is the small things: a hobby, a favourite food, a place - the options are endless. I know it's easy to sit on the other side of a computer and say that the key to happiness is X, Y and Z, but I've learnt over the years that when you're happy in yourself, that's when the important people in your life are revealed.
comfortableHorizon21
You can't basically. Make new friends. Step out of your comfort zone and know new people. Connect with them with an open mind. Don't always keep to yourself or dwell on the past. You have to move forward and reach out to other people out there
Anonymous
Realize that you're a unique individual with huge potential. You have a whole storehouse of happiness in you just waiting to burst out. Sure, friends and family help but at the end of the day you are a vital source of your happiness. Thrive.