Is it harmful to stay forever alone? I don't want to talk to anyone

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

Leavesofsummer2019
Some people thrive on being social while others genuinely enjoy being alone. The value of talking to others is about more than that. For me, the best way to experience life is to know the story of someone else. I am content to be a loner, I prefer it actually. That doesn't mean I would block myself off from speaking to others or engaging socially in my own ways. If I was to do so, mentally it could cause me to feel isolated and truly alon. There is a massive difference between isolation and enjoying your own company. Isolation can severely damage your mental health and it can amplify emotions and things like depression. Learn to love yourself and your own company but realize you are a part of the world and there is a special place in it for you. There is nobody like you.
KuyaEthan
That depends. We choose to isolate ourselves because we may have past events or experiences that have affected our social life. Sometimes, we isolate ourselves to take a break from socializing. The feeling or staying forever alone is not necessarily a state of loneliness, sometimes we find comfort by having a conversation with ourselves and may want to commit to developing ourselves better. It is up to every individual to get back into socializing or even enjoy the state of isolation as both has its own benefits. We will eventually get the right person in which we can have a circle and feel accompanied. So, it's up to you whether you still want to stay alone or start socializing. :)