What does it mean when you feel lonely all the time?

Penny Dahlen, Ed.D., LPC

I am committed to helping you find your passion, heal old wounds, and flow smoother in all aspects of your life path! I use a compassionate listening approach.

WallflowersandRoses
It means that you are not surrounded by people who connect with you emotionally or relate to you in any way.
PrettyCupcake00
Hey love! feeling lonely all the time means that you need to keep yourself busy by doing something or the other. You should stop thinking of all the negative things happening and focus on self growth.
Anonymous
It means that also when you are with your friends you feel like no one is caring about you. It means that you feel constanly left out from kinda everything and you feel completly empty. In that moment you realize you feel lonely.
FranInJapan
It means that you want someone to be there for you, yet you feel as if there is no-one, no-one looking out for you or there to talk to.
AngelSparkles
That you want someone to talk to you. And you feel kind of lost in the world, as if no one likes you.
JoshListens07
That for some reason you do not feel you have anybody to talk to or interact with which can make you feel sad and alone.
Anonymous
maybe your depressed when i felt lonely all i did was cry myself to sleep night after night and soon my family found out and they to me to a doctor and i was tested for depression, or maybe you feel lonely because you miss being around the people you care about the most
BrandonCares1074
This could be a sign of depression. This could result to not wanting to interact with other people around you.
CaravanDreams
If you're a person who appreciates solitude for studying or other purposes, loneliness is a scarce visitor, since you're occupied with the things you deem are worth your time. If you're feeling lonely for lack of friends or people who think and feel like you, maybe it means you need to be recruiting friends in the right crowd. So as a first step, observe what kind of person you are, and find communities who resemble you & your aspirations. Reach out, I'm sure a lot of people would love you.
HeyMaxley
Unable to stay away from the angsty teenager response, I feel like no one understands me. Or that sometimes I write out a vent but then hesitate and delete the whole thing. I always think like "No- don't say that" or "don't bother them with it." The small voice in my head always is telling me that no one cares or understands. It sucks.
Sean2k11
When I think of loneliness I think of lack of friends. Or the absence of feeling that you belong to somewhere whether it be to a community,school or simply a group of friends. One of the hardest things i have realized is that I may never feel like I fit in because of my disease and what iv been through. And it hurts that no one will understand me 100%. But that's ok because no will ever be you or have your fingerprints. Back to the loneliness, Ask yourself, Why do I feel lonely? When do I not feel lonely? You also should soul search for what you're looking for! Make up a situation in your head that makes you feel not so lonely. It won't be perfect but you should try to pursue it!
Returncontrol2u
January 2nd, 2019 6:18am
First check, are you alone. By that I mean are you in the Artic or far rural where there are physically few people to be with. This text comes to you across electronic signal, does not mean we are together, but does not mean you are alone either. Which brings me to the next point. The feeling of alone, like the diversity of human beings, has a diversity of intensity and character. How you define the alone feeling changes the answer to the question. Teenagers can feel lonely "all the time" when they are grounded from the phone for one night. Adults can feel lonely all the time when they are in the middle of a "hostile" work environment. There are people and options to change your situation, but the feeling or other factors motivate you to not explore them. Most often feeling lonely all the time simply means you have not found someone or something to connect with. Something that touches your soul and brings out your joy. The best way to not be alone or feel lonely all the time is to explore bravely your environment and yourself. Discovering new things can at least keep you busy and at best let you find the piece of life you have been looking for. Reach out, go out and even reach inside yourself for the new and interesting things that make your world unique. Don't forget to share your experience here. We like happy ending and great beginnings.
WatermelonForTheSoul
Feeling lonely all the time means that you have not found yourself yet!... Maybe you need to use the time being lonely to get to know yourself more and understand it, understand its needs and know its value and worth :) Pay attention to what revives it, what fits it, and what sets your soul on fire! It might takes long to find it.. but You will arrive eventually to your right destination. Keep searching Inside yourself.. You are a universe full of secrets.. And do not forget to be kind to yourself and go easy on yourself. :)
CalmRosebud
There is some way you are not connected to living. Maybe it means you're moving too fast, or not noticing the little things around you, the details that make life worth living, savoring the sensations around you, or thinking about what is happening with layers and nuance rather than just slogging through. Even making a small connection with another person, animal or thing, could make a huge difference in feeling like you are part of this whole. It's just a thought about loneliness all the time. Also, simple rituals such as doing something at the same time or similar time that is reassuring to you might decrease your loneliness.
Leah157
To me, this means that you feel like you have no one, who is willing to listen to you. You feel like no one in the world cares about you, worries about you, and thinks about you. It's like when you turn on your phone to text somebody that you just want to talk, you end up turning your phone back off because there is no one that you can reach out to. Loneliness to me is just when there is an empty feeling in your chest, and you know that there is no one by your side. (However, this feeling varies so much among every individual.)
Anonymous
December 3rd, 2020 7:17pm
It means your feeling alone. Humans are social creatures and it hurts being alone. The feelings you get when there is no one like friends, family, a lover, etc someone that you can always be there for you. Therefore that is what it feels to be lonely. No one deserves to be lonely and alone but people don't get along with everyone and thus those who need friendship doesn't mean they have to be perfect. Not everyone fits. No one is perfect. Ways to cope with loneliness? Keep yourself busy. Read books, watch a movie, listen to songs etc. But it affects you as loneliness gets into your mind and makes everything dark. Distracting self is very helpful and important.
petitebrise
You could possibly be isolating yourself or you may need more social interaction. There could be a number of reasons as to why you feel lonely all the time. The best way to approach feeling lonely is to think about why you feel this way and what situations or emotions could be causing the loneliness. Once you are able to isolate some problems or issues possibly leading to you feeling lonely all the time, you may be able to work on them to turn yourself around.
Anonymous
For me, it means like you doesn't feel connected to people on certain degree to be someone that you can at least say hi and know you are not alone
Grimegg
Feeling lonely means you are closing yourself in your thoughs and your own emotions. This will cause you to overthink and you may begin feeling depressed. Look around, there is a friend near you, just reach out to it.
Naturallyhappy00
To feel lonely all the time can be there past or present feelings that you've had in the past that are coming up to you so the best way to fix that is to surround yourself with people that love you
Anonymous
On one hand, it could mean you are lacking a meaningful relationship- and not a girlfriend/boyfriend/date, but a good, strong friendship. However, it could also mean that you might have unrealistic expectations of your friendships, and want much more than your friends can provide. Seek to find what it is you want from friendships and more, and then see if what you have now is providing. I felt (and often feel) distanced from others... alone, often, even when talking with friends. I felt as if no one cared, and that I was a burden. As a result, I felt lonely and isolated constantly. However, I realized that I had people who cared all around, and I had to accept that the interactions I had with them would never be perfect, and that I should get satisfaction from a friendship that didn't give me everything I thought I needed.
Candid0211
You need a sense of purpose a drive to get your self out there. Loneliness doesn't necessarily stem fro. Lack of company or work. It stems from no being able to do what we have always wanted to do.
SacredArtist
Something may be lacking when one feels lonely all of their time. We may point to a varying amount of things that could be the issue: home life, school life, work life, life, all of the above. How we view ourselves. Sometimes, taking the time to look inward is everything. Not about why you are lonley but why you feel that you are. What has lead to the lonliness? Maybe being comfortable with being with yourself first can lead to an opening of doors that could very well bring you away from the lonliness you have gotten to know. Indeed, it may take being OK with being with yourself before the lonliness in your life can unravel. It is important to ackowledge that lonliness may be different for everyone but on the journey out, you'll need yourself to come with you, after all.
Anonymous
When you feel lonely all the time, It usually means you have a lack of contact with people. While I am not a doctor, from personal experience it could also mean depression.
tranquilShoulder91
August 3rd, 2016 2:50am
When I feel lonely, I'm reminded I need to connect with the world. When I feel it all the time, I may need assistance of a friend to remind me this.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 10:10am
if you are feeling lonely 23/7 maybe this is a sign of depression. try talking to a couple friends about it at first if that doesn't help try seeking professional help
LunarNymph8
Loneliness stems from within. If you don't feel comfortable and at peace within yourself, you won't find the comfort you seek outside. Take time to become your own friend and fully appreciate the vibrant being of light that you are.
Giarosario123
You are probably depressed, you should go speak to someone about it nobody should feel lonely talk to someone in your family or your friends about it
Anonymous
Feeling lonely all of the time means that you were afraid to open up to other people for a long lime and now it feels almost impossible. But after a first dreadful step, you may discover that others are as lonelly as you and were just waiting for someone to reach out to them.
Titch94
It means that you feel all alone in the world, that you're completely different to everyone else, that no one else understands you, that you feel like you have no friends in the world to talk to. It means that you have no one to share memories with, do things with. Loneliness sucks! But there's no need to feel like that. There are 7 billion people in the world. Someone out there would love to be your friend.