Why am I just so lonely that it hurts I can’t sleep anymore?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

friendlyApricot1728
Loneliness can be very overwhelming. I've lost sleep over it too. People come and go in life, and though it's easy to focus on those going, just as many people have been coming, and more are on their way. Loneliness is never permanent. You will meet more people in the future. More people who click with you, more people with whom you share interests. They might not be near you right now, but they exist. It's also more common to feel lonely than we lonely people tend to think. It can seem like everyone else has a lot of friends and loved ones. Some of those people are lonely too. If you can tell friends or family about your loneliness, you may discover that they have also experienced it. Reaching out to people gives them a chance to show that they are your friend. If they don't know what you are going through, they don't know how to help, even though they might really want to. They need a chance.