Why do I get so emotional over nothing?

Why do I get so emotional over nothing?
Israel

Daniela Golbert, M.A DRAMA THERAPY

Therapist

I am an expressive art therapist working from the strengths of the client, aiming to find and arouse flexibility, spontaneity and creativity in different levels of the soul.

ThisCrazyLife77
šŸ™…"Why do I get so emotional over nothing?"šŸ˜­ There are many potential reasons why one may feel 'overly-emotional'. Let's start off with one of my favorite sayings: šŸ’˜"Don't compare your insides to other people's outsides."šŸ’ This aphorism concisely expresses to me that one should not judge the validity of their feelings by comparing them to their perception of other's emotions- or "outsides." People react and respond differently to the same or similar situations....some let their emotions out while others are more prone to stuffing or hiding their emotions... And you really can't know for certain what others are feeling by looking at them. All to say- what you feel inside counts even if no-one else SEEMS to be sharing these feelings. My next point is one of contention: the use of the word "nothing." It is harsh self-judgement! If you are responding emotionally- and since you count as a person- then it follows that whatever is behind your emotions is NOT nothing, but SOMETHING... however big or small a value our cultural norms assign them. Another thing to keep in mind is that some persons are more sensitive than others. You could also be going through a more sensitive time in your life. That's not good or bad- it just is! If you truly feel that you are acting out of chatacter, then there are things like hormone levels that can affect your tendency to emote more intensely. PMS anyone? Low levels of testosterone? All play a role! As do neurotransmitters in emotional sensitivity. If you are low on norepinephrine, dopamine, or serotonin (to name a few) then it might be time to look into addressing these issues. There are also issues like a recent loss, trauma, loneliness, experiencing stigma, major life changes, and stress that can make us more prone to be sensitive and emotional all around. Not to mention depression, pts, anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain... all play a role. If you feel that your sensitivity is something that is seriously interfering with your life then by all means- talk about it and seek help in a way that makes sense to you. But don't just let cultural norms tell you what is "normal." YOU ARE NORMAL. Be beautiful- BE YOURSELF! YOU are here. You FEEL. You COUNT. It is NOT nothing. Actually... it is quite something amazing and miraculous that you have emotions in what can be such a callous world that suppresses their expression more often than not. Just a few quick thoughts on a saturday afternoon... EMOTE!! Talk to a listener. You will make our day! @ThisCrazyLife77 #biglove
soulsings
We have an inner child that has been wounded and neglected time after time while we were growing up. When we find ourselves getting hurt it is often the wounds of the inner child being reopened. It is not nothing, it is just a trigger that touches a hurting place inside. Time to heal the inner child.
Anonymous
I know you say it's over nothing,but it's probably over something even if you don't know what it is.
AlucardTheSavior
Nothings "Wrong" with you. You just have really sensitive emotions. Certain colors, songs, even pictures make me cry. You just need to ask yourself what about it made you cry. Is it because it reminds you of something? Or because it makes you think of something that makes you feel like something is about to burst inside you? (Metaphorically of course)
Anonymous
The human heart is wild and when you have a huge heart you tend to be more sensitive and emotional to things. Being emotional for no reason can also be caused by a psychological disorder, such as bipolar disorder or depression alone. Those crazy hormones can cause you to be more emotional than normal as well. It sounds funny, but pinch yourself immediately when you start feeling emotional to remind yourself not to be that way. What can also help is, meditation, exercising, yoga, thinking positive and on the bright side of things, and closing your eyes, counting slowly to 10; inhaling and exhaling by every number. You can also take a walk somewhere to get away from things for awhile and have some time to yourself. What has always helped me was going outside and being around nature. Being around nature, for me, calms me down immediately because it's just so peaceful and beautiful. Of course I live in the country so it might be hard to do so if you live in the city. Have faith in yourself, you will get over these hard times.
YesICan199
Perhaps there is more to why you're emotional? Are there bottled emotions that you don't talk about or repressed feelings from an even in the past? If so perhaps you may need to talk to someone and try to sort out your feelings.
enigmaticMoment64
If you get emotional, chances are it is not "nothing", otherwise you wouldn't feel as strongly. I think the better way to describe it is to react in a way that is not appropriate to the issue. And usually that happens because it triggers past experiences and emotions that fall in line with what just happened, or the topic. Say, someone ignores what you said. That's a little annoying, but not a huge problem in itself. But it still can make you feel really uncomfortable and sad despite that fact, if it happened many times before and you feel like you are not important and everyone ignores you. So that event is a trigger, not a cause. Realizing this (for yourself and others) can help a lot to work at the actual cause. Like in the example - feeling like you are not important. It also helps you to communicate this to your friends/family in a more constructive way and explain why your response is so strong
DarlingHoldOn
Maybe because you've been bottling up your emotions for a while ? Maybe you're going through a tough time right now and it's getting too much for you ? Open up love. Talk about what is bothering you or hurting you. Talk to a loved one or a friend or even a listener here. Get it all out of your chest. That might calm you a little or help you.
Anonymous
You may be dwelling over a situation deep inside and have not dealt with it properly so you're emotions are getting intense over everything. You should probably talk to a therapist about it.
MymindMakesense
I have those moments, As well. during those times, I realized, I can't control the future. It's never as worst than you think. Counseling will help, If you truly want to work on fight the root or whats triggering you to be emotional. Reading ways to cope, Like taking certain exercises on the 7 cups of tea website. Your need help on trying to find the root.
Anonymous
As humans we sometimes think we get emotional over nothing, but its something. Even the most simple, and small things make people emotional..
ThatGuyWithTheJokes
It could be a sign of an underlying mental illness. Perhaps paranoia, depression or something else. However, the far more likely answer is that you're simply overly sensitive at the moment due to something else in your life causing you grief or sadness. Take a moment to reflect on how you can improve your own happiness and create a plan for yourself. Do things that you like to do, go places you've never been, hang out with that one friend you haven't seen in a while. When all of this is done and you're feeling a little better, I'm sure you'll find that you no longer overreact to little things.
AngelicPenguin
Some people are just naturally over-sensitive so its nothing to worry about. Sometimes we may need to however find ways to cope with these natural feelings and every person has a different way of coping with different mood swings so you should really ask yourself how you can manage
Flawlessinsanity21
It's most likely just a hormone thing. Hormones can make us act differently to situations. A lot of us are actually just sensitive people so sometimes really simple things can mess us up emotionally. It's okay! :)
Anonymous
For me, it could be PMS. or just my mood. Even the weather can affect your emotion, usually when it's so hot, I get annoyed and cranky for the rest of the day.
HopieRemi
There can multiple reasons Sometimes the brain is a funny thing and you never know why you're upset. There could be something deeper troubling you. You could also be depressed. But I can't diagnose you and you can't diagnose yourself. It would best to check with a trained professional about your emotional outbursts.
Grimegg
Its never over nothing, every time you feel emotional its over something. If you are not sure what exactly then you should work on finding out and trying to figure how to deal with the problem be it by yourself or with some help.
Millichidulinas
Maybe 'cause you're sensitive. You don't have to be ashemed about being sensitive, but I personally know that's really difficult to be sensitive in this world. Hope the best for you.
DG943
I happen to be very emotional as well... Theres not much you can do about it but just live with it and love yourself for it. Feeling emotions is a beautiful thing! Don't be ashamed.
NumberEleven
Sometimes it may not be nothing, but rather something that's bothering you and your unconscious is picking up on it. Don't beat yourself up over it, our minds work in mysterious ways that we might not understand.
Bee98
I get like that too. Some people are just more sensitive than others. The best thing to do about it is to talk to someone who understands.
Anonymous
I get so emotional over nothing because I tend to keep things to myself. The stuff accumulates and blows up in the strangest situations. I am glad I have found good friends on 7 cups who listen to me. I blow up less often and feel calmer.
Anonymous
In my expiriance, i can get really emotional, when something triggers me. I mat not realize right away what trigfered me, but when i think about it, it tends to be when someone hits one of my weak spots/insecurities
SarahRussell
Sometimes our emotions are not caused by a specific thing. Sometimes they are triggered by an experience that relates to the situation at hand, or some hormones flared up. The emotions are not over nothing, although it definitely an seem that way.
carefreeNarwhal88
Because you are overly sensitive on certain things that makes you feel emotional or worried about it
ALItheKind59 - Expert in Loneliness
congratulation, you have a heart and that's why you get emotional, its happen when our head is full of streeful thought and we are thinking about it, and ventilates that frustration through our emotions thats normal..
Anonymous
Sometimes there are thing we are carrying within ourselves, whether it be grief over a personal tragedy or something we have heard that has happened to another person that we haven't fully taken the time to fully process and something happens in our day that , perhaps without even realizing it has triggered within us the need to let that thing we may never have realized we had on the back burner of our heart to be vented and fully emotionally processed.
michelle2000
If you're getting emotional over it, then it's probably not nothing. It may seem like nothing, but it must matter to you if it makes you feel emotional.
FindTheBeauty
Getting emotional over a lot of things has a lot of explanations. You may just be hypersensitive. This is when we simply are very emotionally fragile. This could be because of a hormonal imbalance, past experience, or disorder. Sometimes we are just overwhelmed and don't share our feelings enough. Hang in there, and remember that there is nothing wrong with feeling life the way it comes. If you want to cry, cry. If you want to be so very happy, do so. If you're angry, be angry. You are alive so live and feel. Just remember that others have feelings as well.
FoodForTheSoul
One of the reasons I can identify is you possess a lot of built-up emotional tension that you haven't released. So when a trifle presents itself, you tend to recruit the same patterns that you did when you were faced with a legit and challenging emotional trauma.