Are psychopaths necessarily bad people?

Are psychopaths necessarily bad people?

Deane Rain Marie, LMFT

I take a holistic approach in working with eating disorders, mood disorders, relationships, and the LGBTQ community. I use EMDR, Dreamwork, Stories, CBT and Cinema therapy.

Anonymous
I guess bottom line is that you decide. Psychopaths don't have a sense of what's good or bad and never feel remorseful for their actions. They won't care if they did something wrong. I personally judge people primarily on how they behave. Not every psychopath is prone to the same behavior. I don't want to say they're all these monsters as mainstream media portrays them to be, but I think if someone does bad things and doesn't even remotely feel bad for what they did are a bad person. I hope this makes sense. I don't want to group or generalize too much.
Nabla
January 2nd, 2019 2:57pm
No, of course not. Being a psychopath does not equal being bad, although the media are making the two words look like synonyms. In fact, psychopaths can be nice and very successful individuals, and often are. Many studies suggest that more than 1% of people are psychopaths - that means you probably met at least a few, on the street passing by, a student in school, maybe even a friend or a family member... Many people don’t even know they are psychopaths and live normally. This makes it obvious that only a small percentage of actual psychopats are harmful or criminals.
Anonymous
Psychopaths are not necessarily bad people. While kindness and respect is important, it is also important to be able to cope and help others with their own ideas. Everyone deserves an idea on how they can be good to society and treat others kindly. All through people’s lives there are different experiences and tough things everyone has to go through. It’s better when they can go through it together. It’s important to believe there can be someone there for you. It is essential to listen to others and help them with their problems. Not by giving advice, but showing them their own power of chsnging themselves and the world with kindness.
Anonymous
Not at all. We just need to understand that are different from rest of us. We need to help them overcome their issues. Be genuinely kind and sympathetic towards them. Their disturbed mental health makes them behave in ways that people find hurting. Very basic thing is that they are humans too. We should try our best to help them and understand their situation. They have gone through trauma earlier in life. They have experienced pain and have got hurt. We should never judge the.They have emotions too. They can't help themselves, it's us who are to help them.
beprecious
Absolutely not. A psychopath could very well be just another person in the room and sometimes people can go their whole lives knowing a psychopath and have absolutely no problems with them. Psychopath's brains simply work differently than the vast majority of the human race which makes a lot of people see this as bad. There is a stigma around psychopaths but with understanding and some minor changes in the world: people will see that not all psychopaths are necessarily bad people. Everyone is different no matter how their brain works and so simply by being a psychopath will not instantly label you as a bad person.
Blynng
No. psychopaths are not "bad" people by nature, though they have received a serious reputation. Psychopaths are a categorization of a condition called antisocial personality disorder and it can affect people from all races, backgrounds, religious affiliation, etc. Psychopaths are still able to recognize right from wrong and are able to make logical and effective choices. The difference is that they have a problem processing empathy, so instead of being a natural response like most people have to situations that inspire say, guilt, the person with ASPD is more likely to not understand why people are upset. It then becomes a conscious choice for that person, to decide if they want to try and learn how to process emotions for good reasons, or to learn it for not so good reasons. Overall, however, it's just a condition, and the quality of the person is determined by the life they choose.
Iamhereforyouanditwillbeokay
No psychopaths are not bad people at all. Their behavior is just different from us but besides who is normal? Not me! Normal is overrated.everyone is beautiful in the way they are. Psychopaths are not bad they are made the way the are because of their surroundings not their choice.One should always support them if they are going through a rough patch. TREAT THE WORLD THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED AND ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Be the sunshine you are waiting for others to be in your life! Cause life is short but we can make it worth it💕
Anonymous
No. I think they can be someone who received abuse or hate from other. Simple abuse doesn't mean it'll make someone hate people. But if things like that happen at the same time continuously, someone can turn into a psychopath, I think. Psychopaths tend to act in their own accordance because they don't have anyone to listen to them. Nobody cared for them. And because they just want someone to look in their way, noticing their existence. That's why psychopaths tend to act brutally when their feelings are overwhelmed. Because they don't know what to do. However, they know that way someone will notice their presence, even though it's a bad impression.
KindAndPatient
People with sociopath know the difference between right and wrong, they just don’t care. Sociopath means lacking empathy. Psychopathy means lacking empathy plus a co-morbid mental disorder. Having psychopathy does not necessarily doom people to be bad or do bad things. People with psychopathy have the freedom to choose their behavior. It is important to note that people are not their disorders. Labeling is not beneficial. “Psychopaths” has been changed to “people with psychopathy,” just like how “schizophrenics” has been changed to “people with schizophrenia.” It is more humanizing. The inability to empathize with others does not doom someone to be a terrible person. There are genetic and environmental factors that contribute to behavior, but the bottom line is choice, and people with psychopathy have this ability.
Mayg15
I dont think so. I work in criminal law so I'm around a lot of people who have done bad things but I wouldnt consider them bad people, some of them are actually very nice to me. A lot of people who end up like a psychopath have had some kind of trauma growing up or something like that and it results in that sort of behaviour when theyre older. as well, many psychopaths have severe mental health issues and have trouble controlling their actions but i dont think that makes them a bad person, it simply means that they have to get the necessary help
Carriehappytohelp
Everybody is equal and they deserve as much support as everybody else does. Maybe they just want some support that’s all they are doing no harm to any of us. Everybody is equal and they deserve as much help as normal people do just because they make bad chooses doesn’t mean anything. Things might have happened when they was younger no body knows . They deserve a chance. Even if they are not in the right mind set All they need to do is message one of our team and we will get back to them as soon as possible for them
Anonymous
Not always. A lot of them just live among the rest of us without these tendencies that the movies portray them as. This is not saying that all of them are good people either. Some can be bad people while others good. A psychopath is defined as someone who doesn't feel remorse or human emotions. While this can very well be a leading cause for crime, it's not always. There will forever be some psychopathic criminals and some non-psychopathic criminals out there. It's important to be careful around psychopaths, but know that not all of them are the dangerous murderers you see on TV.
Anonymous
No I don't think psychopaths are necessarily bad people. I believe the word "psychopath" has been damaged by the way it's been portrayed in media and that has caused people to forget it's true meaning. Psychopaths are people who suffer from a serious mental disorder and need treatment. It's true that the effects of this disorder causes them to live outside of the societal norm but it's important to understand that this is not by choice. It's common courtesy not to judge people without knowing their past and this is especially important to exercise with people who suffer from a mental disorder. They are not bad people just misunderstood by society.
Birdie725
Assuming that the psychopathy is actually a medical condition and not just a label that someone stuck on them, I don't think that psychopaths are necessary bad. If one does not have the mental capacity to empathize, how can I blame them for being selfish or mean? They literally have no way of differentiating their good behavior from harmful behavior. Humans by nature are designed to value self-preservation above all, but we are also designed as social creatures who must give up some of our desires in order to live in harmony with the rest of the human race. As far as I can tell (as someone who is not a medical professional), a psychopath is someone with a disorder that impairs or prevents their ability to understand the social aspect of living. Now, personally, I don't think I would be able to become friends with a psychopath, purely due to the two-sided nature of friendship. And I do still believe that their bad behavior is bad. I just have a problem putting the blame on the psychopath when they are physically incapable of acting in the way a normal human should.
claudiaC422
No, I think that psychopaths are misunderstood individuals that also have a difficult time understanding themselves. I think that therapist have a harder time treating them due to the stigma both the patient and clinician face from society. I believe that society makes psychopaths look like bad individuals, but there are some that have the ability to lead healthy and socially acceptable lives. Psychopathic tendencies do not all present themselves the same way across the board, some individuals present their tendencies more intensely than others and heavily suffer, but don't act on their impulses. A majority of their things that they lack, can be learned or managed with proper treatment.
Anonymous
No, but I appreciate the question! Not that I am a biological psychopath but as a psychology major, I find the tendency to psychopathic behavior interesting. Psychopaths, in general, cannot experience life the way a neurotypical would. However, simply because of their differences, that does not mean they are bad people. I don't want to go into the whole aspect of whether they are good or bad; in my opinion, all people have the ability to be bad and all people have the potential to be good. Our actions mold us into the people we are. Therefore, if a biological psychopath makes good, caring decisions, we can confidently say xe may not be a bad person.
dreamMelody27
No, psychopath aren’t necessarily bad people. First of all „psychopath“ isn’t a real term used in the medical community. It’s a term primarily used it pop culture and that is where we get most of our understanding on what a „psychopath“ is. Most commonly when we talke about psychopaths we talke about someone with anti social tendency’s. Psychopaths can be characterized as having a lack of empathy (when not trying to be actively empathic), a low sense of danger and a lack of fear. This characteristics however aren’t bad from nature. Most psychopath aren’t killers. People with this characteristics make for example great surgeons or fire fighters, since the low empathy and fear levels lead to more calculated desigions under high stress, under which most „normal“ people would start getting sloppy. They can live a mostly normal live an be good people. So no psychopath do not have to be bad people. If you see a could blooded killer it’s most likely a psychopath but not every psychopath is a could blooded killer.
hardtoothtoswallow
Not at all. It is often said that psychopaths do not feel anything, but it is more accurate to say that they experience complex emotions that are difficult for both others and themselves to understand. What an individual psychopath does is up to that person, and is specific to them. How you judge someone may be determined by what actions they committed. However, even if their actions are morally wrong, it is sometimes worth it to understand their thought process and understand why they did what they did, even if you view it as selfish. It is difficult for many to attempt to understand those who commit actions that are socially unacceptable, but opening our minds to understanding these actions, even if we do not endorse them, may help prevent the cycle of abuse.
DayDreamWithYou
Definitely not, but it all goes back to the definition of "bad." Is stealing food for a hungry child bad? What is the extent to which a person can be defined as bad? Are we right to even judge and deem someone as bad? Psychopaths are people who are forced to be that way or choose to be that way because of, well, life. Sure, some psychopaths are manipulative and tend to lie, but does that truly make them a "bad" person? Who are we to say that they are bad, or if they are even psychopaths? If we classify bad as the action and not the reason, sure, some psychopaths are bad. In other words, suppose someone was (hypothetically) abused by a loved one, and in order to combat the hurt and abuse, they lost empathy, became more egotistical, and perhaps towards the personality disorder of a psychopath. Let's say, one day, they started abusing others and manipulating others. Does this make them bad? Some might say yes because they are after all manipulating others, but it may just be a way to protecting themselves, and the same occurs vice versa. It becomes a question of whether lying, disregarding others, and manipulating others is considered bad. In our daily life, what is something that isn't manipulated? When we apply for jobs, isn't is competing with others? Which one of us did not include something considered bad we did before, whether how small or big. It could be a fight in the school cafeteria, something we said to another when we were just a child, or just anything. Is this not manipulation and lying by omission? Additionally, just become someone lost the ability to empathize, it does not mean they are necessarily bad either. Whether it is true or not, it is important to remember not to judge a whole group of people by just a single person. Perhaps a psychopath murdered someone, but we can't say another is also bad. These judgements are just as bad as those racist and sexist comments. Even those who are not psychopaths are able to do bad things. I suppose I included too many questions to respond to a question, so I will include one more statement to answer the question. Psychopaths are not necessarily bad people.
Anonymous
They aren't necessarily bad people. Sometimes they tend to do things without thinking or it is they're mental state that makes them do bad things. They might even have good intentions but their disorder turns them this way. So categorizing them as bad people would be wrong because not everyone is that way. It's just like how good people and bad people exist regardless of whether they have a mental illness or not. I feel it all roots back to how a person feels about themselves. People who feel good about themselves would never try to hurt or belittle others because they are comfortable in their own skin and never feel like putting others down.
Lavanya13
So, a while ago, I found myself really interested about how psychopathy works. And I used to believe they were bad people up until I read about it. Psychopathy is basically a personality disorder, that prevents a person from feeling empathy. Like they understand how the person in front of them feels, and have the ability to calculate the consequences of their actions, but are unable to feel bad for them; because they can't feel pain vicariously through other people. Feeling bad for other people is how we learn not to hurt people, or cause them harm, and so it gets difficult for psychopaths to understand this concept. In some cases, however, it is interesting to note that psychopaths have the ability feel empathy or stop feeling it, like flicking a switch.
Ran3707
Psychopaths are people like anyone else. Their inclinations are sometimes very inappropriate. However, they should be treated with love and respect so long as you maintain boundaries and do not allow yourself to become vulnerable to them. Probably, there should be a professional with you to maintain peace. I believe that we are intended to interact with all people and that we can offer love and assistance. In the case of this type of disorder, a professional’s presence is also a good idea. That way, everyone is comfortable. The person is probably trying to understand what it means to have friendly conversation and to create friendship and feelings of self worth.
Dujour2000
Psychopaths have the capacity for kindness, but are not motivated by it. Their choices and the resulting consequences are based on meeting their needs, minus any consideration of the needs of others. Their actions, if kind and considerate are to further their personal needs and unlikely-the needs of others. They might be considerate neighbors, sit on governmental agencies and have what might be considered normal jobs. However, their need might ultimately be that of maintaining adequate "cover" as someone whose actions are held above suspicion. Everyone is capable of kindness, so ultimately, if one lightens the burdens of another, even a psychopath isn't all bad.
LiliMonroe
No, they are just having a mental health issue, I believe that, in real life, people why have diagnosed with such problems aren't quite like Hannibal Lecter and Patrick Bateman. If they are aware of their issue and have learned to manage it and get proper help for dealing with it, they can be completely normal and nice people when it comes to everyday life communication. Cases we have seen in movies and crime news are mostly people who have let their problem go to far, mostly psychological trauma they have never worked with to heal. If they get proper help at an early stage of their issue, things should be better than you might imagine.
courtneylistens8
I don't think it is fair to classify and generalize any "type" of people as bad. Being a psychopath doesn't mean you are a serial killer or a charming criminal, like movies may portray them to be. Psychopaths are people who have trouble processing certain emotions, like empathy or sorrow, and often focus mostly on themselves. That does not automatically characterize a psychopath as being a bad person. Everyone has troubles, psychopaths just have their own subset of troubles that few people can understand or relate to. Psychopaths are frequently smart people. I think it is more about how they use their smarts that determines whether they are good or bad people.
LioricLionheart
Not necessarily. But psychopaths are a necessary evil that is needed, specially in the leadership level. They get the job done. But living with a psychopath, is a whole different story. It depends solely on the people that lives with the psychopath. In my experience, it was horrible as a compassionate person. But as an opportunist, she was cut throat. Always got me out of any pinch that I was in. But the part where she cares about the feeling of others was non existent. And any flare of positivity towards her would be magnified so that as light of the lime light reaches the next person.
Anonymous
No they aren't. I believe that it is a mix of all different kinds of factors that led them to that certain behavioral path. Behavior can be affected by so many things that are out of their control. For example, it could be a part of their family. Mental illnesses in parents can cause their children to also have a high risk of developing a mental illness later on in life. This is completely out of the person's control and they should not be blamed for it. It is part of their DNA and cannot be changed because that is just who they are.
Anonymous
I don't think being a psychopath makes someone a bad person. Psychopathy is considered a personality disorder. Having a disorder is not intentional, and never makes someone inherently "bad". People who are diagnosed psychopaths need more help and treatment than the average person, yet people shy away and do not want to offer them help. The social stigma surrounding psychopaths is what worries people and makes them associate a psychopath with being a bad person. Many times people with personality disorders struggle a lot due to their disorders, and being rejected by society only makes this worse and their struggles harder to overcome.
Anonymous
Well, the thing is, psychopaths are born (whereas sociopaths are formed). In other words, their brains are structured and wired differently. In a psychopath's mind, the world revolves around themselves. Nothing else matters but their existence. They see other people as objects and targets for abuse and deception. At first, psychopaths can come across as extremely charming, but like I mentioned above, they're just planning to hurt you. Now, not all diagnosed psychopaths act impulsively or with violence (although I'd say most, or at least half, do), and some non-psychopaths have psychopathic tendencies. Overall, because psychopaths are usually pretty dangerous, it's probably best to avoid hanging around them.
luminousBraid91
The practical answer: Absolutely not! Those with antisocial personality disorder are incapable of feeling sympathy or empathy for others. However, they can, with a very nurturing upbringing, learn these skills even if they do not feel them. Now, to be more academic, in order for someone to be diagnosed with an antisocial personality disorder, he or she must exhibit symptoms including performing multiple acts that were the grounds for arrest, deceitfulness, impulsivity, physical aggression, disregard for the safety of self or others, consistent irresponsibility, and a lack of remorse for such actions. This is criterium A from the DSM 5. With this being said, this question does not really have an academic answer. It is all emotional arguments. For example, does doing at least three of those things consistently make someone a bad person? What constitutes a bad person? Also, those with this disorder act in this way due to neurological abnormalities. Would this justify their actions, from a moral standpoint? What I am getting at is that the answer is really dependant on your interpretation of this information.