Best way to get over a break up?

Best way to get over a break up?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Theres no specific way to get over a break up. Sometimes you just have to rely on "time" and "healing" in these situations and to know that the feeling will eventually pass. Only you can decide what is right for you and when you are done healing. If its a problem that interferes with your everyday life, perhaps seeking help with a therapist or counselor can help.
Alwaysherexoxx
Think things through and realise everything happens for a reason! All good things come to a end! Don't take it out on yourself realise there would of been mistakes on both parts!j Just try and keep strong and open minded and someone else will come along.
Anonymous
Consider all of the reasons that you and your ex broke up. Try to keep in mind that even if that you enjoyed being together for a while, something was not working. Thinking about the reasons why the relationship ended can help you understand why you need to move on. You may also be able to avoid making the same mistakes in the future if you can identify areas where you contributed to the demise of the relationship
Anonymous
The best way to handle a break up is to have friends around you to support you and to find ways to distract yourself. Give yourself a few days to feel the heartache and then move to activities that can take you mind off of the subject like funny videos, board games with friends, baking, drawing and so on.
Anonymous
I think deleting them from social media is the first step that helped me. It helped to not see them and not know what they are doing because I didn't want to see something that upset me. I also took on a lot of things for example I got a job, took up some new hobbies, learned to do things that I couldn't before. Distraction is key. You need to keep yourself busy and it'll distract your mind.
needpeace84
To accept that you need time for it, accept to be sad, and focus on the good memories. Be thankfull for what you had, and not grieve over what you lost.
ashleygcx
Call over a close friend and talk about the up's and down's. Crying is normal, healthy and natural, but remember that you are not worthless and you are just as perfect as before. And remember, the cliche of eating icecream makes it all better is 100 % true.
ListeningBird
Think positively about yourself, look around the smiling faces of people you love. Be with those who make you feel loved, chill, hangout, move on. eat well and forget what happened. whatever happens is good.
calmsunshine89
Accept that it has happened for a reason. Break-ups can be hard, but everyone eventually gets over them.
TheTypicalButterfly
Getting over a break up is hard I know and if you loved the significant other person, well lets just say that its going to be along road to walk. If you are the person being dumped, then before getting over the break up what you have to do is 'getting over yourself'. Many people after break up may wonder about the reason why they got dumped leading to insecurities. I know it is very simple to give a advice like you are the better person here or that he or she doesn't deserve you. Those tips may work for you somehow but to be frank, if you want to overcome insecurities you are the only one who could do that. You are the key to whether getting over your breakup or boosting your self esteem. A one night stand or a blind date could be a shortcut but do you really want to use such substitutes for your golden key? It would take maybe few days or couple of weeks or maybe some months or even a life time to overcome a break up. But at the end just ask to yourself whether he or she was worth of it?
Anonymous
Think that everything happens for a reason. Maybe you just don't know what it is yet, but you will. Remember that everything always gets better.
professionalRainbows11
I think the best way is to occupy your time, go out, do things you like, exercise to improve yourself, etc. Also, try not to give in the tentation of maintaining contact with your ex. Maintaining contact is not a good thing, since it will make you revive the moment over and over again and you need to protect yourself. You are what is most important. Besides, I think that reviving the situation over and over again will not bring you benefits, since it's very rare that talking about with the person will bring a different outcome. This appears easy when I write it, and believe me, it's easier said than done, I know. But it's the only option. If you are selfish and think of yourself only, you will see, that as soon as time goes by, the situation will take less and less of your time.
Anonymous
Find something or someone (the former is suggested) to distract your mind away from the person in question
sensibleSouth
Fall in love with yourself and learn to live with yourself again. It's extremely hard after having a break-up, but you'll figure it out with time :) (I've been dealing with it the last few days and today was the day when I started feeling better again. Just please keep going, an end of a relationship is not the end of the world!)
Anonymous
The best way to get over a break up is to distract yourself. Go hang out with friends, start a hobby, or do something you love.
charmingHeart
falling in love again :D and love your self much more than you love other :) learn from your mistake of ur past relationship :)
awesomePerspective36
Based on my personal experience the best way to get over a breakup is learning to be okay by yourself
ListenLady
Getting over a break up can be very hard, you can go through a huge range of emotions from sadness, hurt, anger to happiness depending on what type of relationship you had. There is no "best" way to get over a break up and each person handles it differently. Being self destructive like binge drinking or taking drugs will only mask your feelings for a short while. The only way to truly get over a break up is to give it time, the feelings that are so raw and painful at the moment will start to fade. Accept that the relationship is over and accept that you have to move on with your life. Try not to be negative about your ex, bitterness and negativity won't help. Instead think of the good things that person taught you. Sooner than you realise you will feel better
hosannajoy
Tell yourself that if it didn't work out with him/her, means that the one I'm supposed to end up with is still waiting for me further down the path life brings to me.
cristiana33
There is no best way to do anything. A lot more when we are talking about human relationships. We are all so different and our relationships are indeed so particular, that we can't assume that there is a best or worst way to do anything. What we can do instead is to try to realize what are the good and bad lessons we can take at the end of our relationships and what we can do in the future to be happier than we were. We can't expect to magically move on from a relationship after doing something stupid. All relationships need a certain amount of grief as they really meant something to us. We can't run from that period of pain as going through it is the only way to actually realize we are still going towards something. Something better!
Anonymous
In my opinion the best is to try to focus on your own needs. It sure hurts but the pain should go away eventually, keep doing what you have to do and respect yourself.
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 6:23am
Try not to think and talk about them, find things you enjoy to do, things which distract you from the thoughts that make you feel down.
Poohwee99
distract yourself , slowly forget him, do hardcore exercises. do not think of him.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
I would recommend some me time, Give yourself some time and appreciation, and value yourself, maybe a treat.
Anonymous
I would say clearing out old things that remind you of the relationship would be important:) It's cathartic and helps you to move on while feeling like you are on a clean new fresh page! Of course, crying will help if you need to cry as well - just let it out~ And don't forget to surround yourself with good friends to bring your spirits back up:)
petrichor1
Remember how whole you were before you met that person and acknowledge that although it may take time, you will feel whole again soon. The entire time, you were still your own person. You are still loved and you are still important.
PantherDance
A break up leaves a tangle of emotions, confusion, and hurt. We need to understand that we've suffered a loss and take the time to go through that grief with the love and support of those who care about us.
zaix
There isn't really a best way. Maybe try going out and meeting new people, not necessarily finding someone new right after, but just meeting new people and trying new things, going new places, and keeping your mind off of it, stay busy!
Anonymous
The best way to get over a break up is to not let them be the center of your life anymore.You are stronger than you think so , don't think about them too much.
Anonymous
Surround yourself with friends and people that support you, eat ice cream, watch Netflix, and cry.... a lot.