How can I avoid taking my anger out on others?

Jackie Dross, M.S. Community Counseling

I have a passion for working with people from a non-judgmental, strengths based approach to meet their goals for personal growth.

Saraahh
Try to think of different ways to take your anger out, like working out or running. Writing can be a great way too.
Alaa
I think the best thing to do when you're angry is avoiding arguing with others,going to a place by yourself and getting it all out on a piece of paper,atleast that's what i do sometimes,works like magic
skydivingstars
Finding an outlet, finding another way to take out your anger rather than on other people is an excellent way to avoid this. Whether it's taking yoga for meditation purpose and reflecting on yourself, or karate or some form of martial arts...there are many other outlets you can use to target your anger toward other things.
Yourlifeisthelotusflower
I usually play a sport or sing absurdly loud. That was I feel much better about myself, it's insanely relaxing.
akireleon
Whenever you feel angry, take a deep breath, close your eyes, and remember how to control yourself from taking out your anger on others.
thedancekid
I used to dance by myself when I'm angry. Expressing those emotions turn into powerful dance moves that would actually form a very good piece of dance routine.
mysteriousWillow50
When you feel angry, do you know if specific triggers to that anger or is it something general? With that, there are different ways to deal with the anger. I personally like to carry around a stress ball or play-doh/modeling clay, etc. so that when I feel angry, I can squeeze that or manipulate the clay in my hands. By focusing my energy onto something else. Or it may be you need a punching bag to get that pent up energy. Either way, when I feel angry, I try to focus my energy elsewhere and do something constructive. Another great thing to help me when I'm angry is that I find something that needs a good scrubbing--such as the shower or the kitchen and I scrub it as if the grime is the problem causing my anger. -Two birds one stone, things get clean, and when I'm finished I'm not as angry anymore. Or the anger has disappeared because I focused those feelings onto something else.
amorvincitomnia143
If I know that I am not in a very social mood I try to spend some alone time doing something I like.
janetreshia
May 23rd, 2015 5:36am
Before you do anything you'll regret, take deep breaths. Clear your mind if you can. Now, take control of your mind and know who your actually dealing with. Ask yourself, "Is it okay to vent my anger to this person?" Having a clear mind, you might possibly do the right thing.
AnnieWizz
Try to see the situation from the point of view of others.. ie step into their shoes. Never judge.
Anonymous
Often times people cant control their anger and often say mean things or hurt the people they love. Sometimes when you get a bit angry take a walk outside, take a hot bath, or simply jut take a step back and breathe.
magicalsummer152
do back counting clean your wardrob isolate your self run for some time gyming dancing moveout of that place
chanelsdaisy
Take a deep breath, say : Fuck you everyone. It works, i promise. Also remember, that you will only get worse, if you hurt others.
peacefulDreamer18
Try to keep a clear mind and talk out your feelings first. Sometimes, your words will speak louder than the actions you take when you're angry.
LightACandle
Try taking some time off to be alone to cool down. Somewhere peaceful and quiet would be good. The trick is to know when we are angry and to know our limits. As long as we know our state of mind and behavior, we can do damage control.
Peacefulmeditation
It's okay to be angry. Control your anger let it out appropriately. Try not to offend those close to you.
jovialBeauty03
You can always do exercise that will help you relay your anger towards a punching bag or running with your favorite music on. Then again, you can just take a time out and step away from the situation and breathe for a while to calm yourself down in regards to the issue you are angry about.
WithinRie
Instead of taking out the anger on others, I give myself time to pause, breathe and relax. Analyse the situation carefully and slowly talk it out. Oh! and have a cup of tea too~
Its good to always take a step back and think about what you are going to do and what will be in it for you before you do anything. When it comes to anger it is always the spur of the moment that you normally regret later.
Anonymous
I got myself a gym membership and take my frustration out on the boxing punching bag -- it's safe and won't get me into any trouble.
olimaar
Find a calming hobby that you can easily do whenever is possible, so when you feel angry or frustrated you can just shut your door and calmly regain your cool.
truefrend
When you are angry move away from the situation or the person for a while move your focus onto some thing else , have water .
LGBTriver
I recommend when you feel angry, remind yourself of the things that make you happy. Or you could simply count to ten and control your breathing.
Anonymous
Squeeze a stress ball! It really helps or just bounce it against the wall . Listen to a music video? Play a game in your head? Go out and get some fresh air and come back with a clear head?
Anonymous
Walk away. walk away seems the best thing to do. If you starting to feel your anger about to come out because someone said something about themselves or you just walk away and ignore. Dont let whatever got you upset take over and take it out on others who are innocent in what is wrong.
Eluna
You need to find a healthy outlet for your anger, such as a hobby or even therapy to learn how to control your anger. Sometimes there's breathing exercises you can do when you feel that you're becoming uncontrollably angry, so if that happens and you feel like you can't control it then just leave the room! That way it avoids conflict and nobody would get hurt from the outcome.
HimynameisRob
Understand why you are angry. Try not to take your negativity out on others, instead talk to people about why you are angry, in an aid to resolve the anger peacefully.
futurerelevance
Try to remember that taking out your anger on others will make the situation harder for you at the end of the day. It's perfectly normal to have feelings of anger, and there are more positive ways of expressing it. Find an activity that can provide a safe space for you for expressing anger, like therapy or martial arts.
Dwalls
Something I do, is remove myself from the situation for 2-5 minutes. If you can take a second to think about it, you are one of the best people at getting yourself to calm down.
Anonymous
Try to get a squeeze ball or something that when you're angry you can brag onto and just release stress into it.