How can I channel destructive emotions into something more positive, such as art?

Greece

Johanna Liasides, MSc

I work with youth and young adults to help them improve depressive symptoms and self-esteem as well as effectively address family, relationship and peer conflicts.

TaylorK17
The first step is just making that decision.It is so great to have the knowledge to realize your emotions are destructive and you have the tools to channel that into something. The next step is making it happen. Don't set an expectations for yourself, just get out there and create something.
Ravag3
emotions in general can be a driving force. their is NO negative emotions. only negative actions. :)
DreamOnKS
By...trying art. It's something really simpleEspecially with drawing and writting. I mean , with music or other stuff you have to learn at first and then create. With those too especially you can just start doing it. You just grab a pencil and a notebook and write , or a scetching block and a color pen or water colors and do whatever you want. The most sattisfying for me is drawing with my hands and oil-water colors, it gets all my anxiety out
Anonymous
Some of the best art composed has been a result of emotional distress. What you can do, is choose your desired medium (poetry, painting, music) and do what you're feeling. Do it with passion.
heycrysteezy
I've been working on this personally. Focusing on going on more walks, being more active, or being out of the house when I am feeling this way. It's about training your brain to immediately turn to the positive thing, while feeling the negative emotion.
Anonymous
You could write and paint your emotions you way, different methods such as reading and playing games help.
sputniklibertine
Sometimes it's really hard to sit still or concentrate on something when you're upset, so this is when physical activity really helps.
Ewurabena25
I write when I'm feeling destructive. Nothing fictional, it's a more reflective process that allows me to objectively look at how i'm feeling. It's really good for me because I end up feeling like i've discussed my feelings in a logical manner and I end up with some great moments of clarity.
Speakfromheart
Turn anfmfer into art. Sadness into poetry. That is the best way to channel your feelings. Try to make tr means into pearls.☺
Anonymous
Since you are already thinking of outlets to channel these negative emotions into doesn't that already suggest that you are willing to make negative emotions positive ones?
SilverGoat
Creation is the opposing force of destruction. Creating a physical manifestation of your emotions, either in the form of a poem, of a visible being drawn or painted, etc, is a great way for you to identify how you are feeling and create something you are proud of.
Colors help to calm you down at times maybe you can try that. Sports and exercise is another positive way to deal with destructive emotions.
purpleRaven76
I'm an art teacher and I'm so glad you asked this question! You can start by making sure you have art supplies handy, even plain paper and crayons will do. Recording your emotions doesn't have to be a work of art, it's more important to capture the movement and intensity of your emotions on the paper.
CompassionVigilante
You pretty much said it in the question. Just channel it into art! Write about how you feel, draw something symbolic of your emotion, or learn a musical instrumental to relieve stress. Studies have actually shown that playing loud music and screaming is good for relieving stress.