How can I keep up with my work and life when I'm feeling overwhelmed?

South Africa

Lisa De Regt, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

wordsmith
Making lists has been the most helpful strategy for me. At first, it seems like this would make ti even worse, but not having to hold it in my head makes me more relieved. Then I can decide what are the one or two most important things that I have to deal with. And then I acknowledge the fact that I'm not well (and that's the difficult part) and that I can only deal with the one or two things. Other things can wait. My well being cannot
sally95
I make a list of things I need to do on busy days and reward myself with a sweet for each I complete
izza
It's normal to feel overwhelemed in fact it's human ! The best way to keep up with everything is by taking a deep breath and organise all the work in a checklist and/or timetable ; prioritise them according to what needs to be done first im regards to deadlines and importance that way you are always up to date . You should always make time for yourself in this timetable to relax and do things you like to do in life , this will actually helps you in your work also as you will not feel drained or overwhelmed when you get back to the work but actually refreshed . All the best and goodluck you will do great!
RoyalTee
It may help if you wrote down all of your obligations and tasks. Then you can break each task down into smaller items. This can help make big tasks seem less daunting. Instead of working on accomplishing 1 huge thing, you make progress as you complete the smaller tasks. This can enhance productivity, motivation, and help decrease your stress levels.
empathicStar98
Make sure that you always find time to wind down and put yourself first - nobody's a super human! Looking after your mental well-being is key to achieving success in life, so make sure that you take some time out for yourself and put your mental health first
Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 7:10am
there i s always a need for balance it my see hard to achieve but dont over work yourself and dont underwork
Anonymous
Personally I make lists! It sounds very tedious but it really does help me to level out my head! the number one rule I use is that I don't use a random order- I follow the order I write and eventually it all sorts itself out
charmingCaramel98
I think writing down your feelings and emotions really helps. Teens these days consider diary writing to be outdated and a waste of time. Trust me, it's not. There have been so many times when I have had my mind absentmindedly worrying about something. I always write it all down somewhere. It clears my mind and helps me concentrate on my work.
DeborahUK
Sometimes you have to know when to take it easy. To relax your expectations of yourself, to take your foot off the throttle, to prioritise fairly ruthlessly. Then it's down to the individual. Some people like to write things down....it maybe helps to get it out your head and onto paper. What do you absolutely have to do yourself? What's on that list that others could help with? What of it is just a wish list....it can wait. So now you know your priorities. Address them at the best time of day for you. Speak to friends, family, colleagues - there's no shame in asking for a bit of help. Make some time in the day for just you and your needs. And see the positives.....note what you have achieved, and try and worry less about what's still to be done.
Cynthiaunknown
To keep track of everything during hectic times make a schedule with enough time to fit everything without overwhelming yourself. Also getting rid of activities that are not needed or important can help.
hellokitty23
Try to solve the situation and make sense of it. Try not to overthink because thats just going to make you more stressful. Do something that helps you relax. Like I do shopping when im overwhelmed.
Anonymous
Feeling overwhelmed can be a huge burden and it's not the easiest one to overcome. If you are juggling a lot of different things calendars and alarms have worked for me in the past. Planning out your day can give you a sense of calm. Never forget to plan time for yourself. Find something that makes you calm, that you love to do and plan for that in your day even if it is just 15 minutes.
Roxaane
Before you go to sleep do something relaxing like have a cup of tea, cuddle an animal, sit outside and listen to music or watch an episode of a tv show that you like
RaleighC
One of the best ways to do this, opposite to what you might think, is to actually take some time out of your busy schedule and devote it to yourself. This can be writing in time to have lunch with a friend, catching up with someone on the phone, going for a run on your favorite local trail, or as simple as listening to your favorite song or eating a piece of your favorite candy. By giving yourself a 'time out', however short, you can recharge so you can keep your head in the game.
KeeKee
I would say is find some time out of your day. It could be a minute, even 30 seconds. Spend that time to tell yourself how great you are, what you've accomplished. Spend that time to shut everyone out and relax. It may be little time but it will stretch a long way if you appreciate it.
Anonymous
Calm down, write down a game plan for the week. Take it one small segment at a time, you don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with planning. Sit and take about 10-20 minutes out of your day to make a "game" plan for your week. It'll help a lot. Then, stick to your schedule you've made. Don't stray, or else it'll become even more stressful.
Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 7:15am
I think it would really help in that case to practice a relaxation technique like meditation or deep breathing.
ephender
Develop a good schedule. Time management is the key to everything. You have to make sure you are balanced. I really like google calendar.
Ingrid9
Practicing good time management can be very beneficial- for example, purchase an agenda, or a wall calendar to help organize your time and the various events/things you need to get done.
ImperfectlyPerfect
Break up the work load into much smaller tasks so that they are more manageable. This will reduce stress and make it a more realistic goal.
MrLeMaster
I realize that even if I fail to keep up 100% of my work and life, it does not mean I FAILED at life
David360
The best way to manage everything in your life is to dedicate yourself to a strict detailed schedule of your day. Once you can control time you then can control your life.
SamRosen
Organization is key! Keep an hourly schedule on a daily basis to plan out when you should work and when you should take a break and relax. Both are essential!
Anonymous
When I'm feeling over whelmed with my life and my work, I find that practising mindfulness can really help. Sometimes we spend to much time doing, and not enough time being. Mindfulness can include mindful exercises, listening to music, running or swimming, or just being in nature.
blissfulTime21
Try having realistic goals and achiving those at first. Don't be to harsh on yourself, even if you fail sometimes.
OneBigTimeParadox
Get enough sleep, manage your time wisely, and eat a healthy breakfast. Doing these three things can help you achieve just about anything.
Anonymous
It's a very difficult situation to be in! There are lots of resources that might be useful, including led meditation and indulging in a few of your favourite activities.
Anonymous
The best thing you could probably do is small pieces of it at a time or when you feel up to it. Where your work is concerned have you spoke to anyone boss/tutor etc about how you are feeling they may also be able to help or suggest something. X
Anonymous
Know your limits. Prioritize.
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2015 12:38am