How can I stop being a compulsive liar?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

OneBeathAtATime
Self reflection. Think before you speak. Ask a close friend that you trust to tell you when you may be lying. Become more aware with the help of others that you feel are nonjudgmental.
Anonymous
The best way to avoid being a compulsive liar is to identify why you feel the need to lie and address that issue. If you understand why you feel the need to lie, it will be easier to stop lying.
DebbieCares
Take it one day at a time. Start out small and don't feel too defeated if you fall a few times. When you catch yourself about to lie, stop and think about it. Remind yourself that you are self motivated and can stop lying if you are really determined to do so. Its never too late to begin again.
Anonymous
To stop being a compulsive liar, you have to first realize that the problem exists and is indeed a problem.
KiSummer
By understanding WHY you lie. Conscious realization of what your true emotions are is the key to almost everything in life. Don't be afraid to express what lies within.
blanket7
You can start by knowing why you lie, is there any sort of reason? Then when you feel you need to lie just tell yourself it's for the best and tell the truth. If a lie does slip out make sure to apologize as soon as possible and tell them the truth. Hope this helps :)
Anonymous
February 3rd, 2016 9:46pm
Firstly think of what made you become one. Maybe someone hurt you so you started lying to protect yourself from being hurt? hmm..
Duran
You have to find the reason behind all of that lying,Then you can start to change whats botheringyou
Anonymous
Find someone you trust and tell them when you lie to others. Try to think about what your image is to others before you lie to them.
WindMelody
You should tell someone. Trust me, I used to be a compulsive liar, I actually enjoyed it, but later on I understood that what I was doing was unfair to the ones I loved. So, in my opinion, you should tell someone you really trust to point out to everybody when they feel like you are lying, so you'll have to be honest, if you don't want to lose the persons you love. I understand it may be drastic, but that's probably what you need
RoxyCares13
Before you tell a lie, think about the reason you want to tell it. Is it to make yourself sound more interesting? To avoid conflict or getting into trouble? Telling a white lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings is appropriate but you should think about when this is helping and when lying starts to hurt. Try thinking about the reasons you feel the need to tell a lie. You should come clean about lies and tell the truth before they begin to eat away at you or you feel you need to tell more lies to cover the first one.
Anonymous
You can start by telling the truth. The easiest way of telling the truth is by reading facts and strictly speaking facts.
Lying is a bad habit just like any other bad habits that people have. You have to teach yourself that it is a bad habit and it will lead to bad things in the future.
kindDreamer26
I say, put yourself in someone else's shoes (the person you're lying to) how would you feel if you were lied to? Not great I'm sure. Being honest and genuine will get you further with people than lying ever will. Also, lies have a way with catching up to you. Better to be pure and lie free then to drown in a web of lies.
FriendlyKitten
Try to understand what makes you be a compulsive liar deep inside yourself. It's a difficult task, so be patient.
Strivingforzen
Perhaps try an accountability journal? Write down every time you tell a lie or even put a checkmark on the date, that way you can see how often you are doing this and maybe it will curtail the behavior.
Anonymous
Maybe you could ask yourself why do you act that way in the first place? And then from there, you could start working on the source of this problem. A therapist could assist you in both point!
Cavo
Think about what the other person might think first. Put yourself in their shoes. Most people don't appreciate being lied to. People like someone who is genuine.
peachicus
That's a tricky questions I'd say because you're so used to doing it would be the main reason. Lying isn't always a bad thing so it depends when and why you're using it.
MeghanSmiley
I used to really struggle with lying when I was younger - I lied about things that I didn't even need to lie about, such as what I'd eaten for lunch or what I did over the weekend. It all related back to low self-esteem, and feeling that what I did wasn't the "right" thing to do. To stop being a compulsive liar, it's important to think before you respond to someone and, if you do lie, immediately correct what you said. Just tell whomever you were speaking to that you misspoke, or that you're tired. Or, if you want to stop lying almost immediately, tell them you lied. Being aware and telling the truth becomes easier every day you go without lying.
urbanwave
Think will this come back to hurt me or someone I love. Tell yourself that what you are doing is not right!
Anonymous
I think one can be by trying their best not to lie about things, starting a few day by day and gradually not lying at all
Anonymous
From myself being a compulsive liar I made myself pause and count back from 10 if i felt like i was about to lie, lying can't solve anything and lying just to make you own situation seem more important then somebody else's can lead to things getting out of hand very quickly. Thats what you need to think about.
Anonymous
Every time you realise you are about to tell a lie, stop talking and give yourself a few seconds to breathe and think about what you're saying.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2016 6:26pm
I have found that the truth generally comes out at some point. When the truth has been masked with a lie, the person or people you have lied to have to accept both the lie and the truth rather than just initially the truth. Always better to be honest, as scary as it may be!
LunaRamond
Take a minute before you lie, breathe, and ask yourself, will this hurt anyone? If no, it is okay, but not usually nessecarry, but if it will, then block it from your mind. Take the lie out of your head and throw it off a building.
beautifulSpace90
Lying is something that everyone struggles with at one point in their lives, whether is be little white lies or lies that could totally change your life. Every time you have something oh want to share, think through everything you want to share and ask your self, is it true ? Will someone be hurt if I say this ? Think through things and hopefully we can together get out of the spiral of lies
Youareberrybeautiful
The only thing I could think of is: tell little truths. It all depends what you lie about in the first place but maybe write down one truth a day and read it out loud you then could become accustomed to not lying.
Anonymous
When you trust people enough to let them know the truths that you deal with, is so much more valuable to them and to you what you've been going through, if that makes any sense
adoredIcicle46
Teach yourself to tense up less. Sometimes, your mind is so overwhelmed or stressed you can't control to lie. It's like shaking while trying to take a sip from a glass of water, it just doesn't work. Try to chill back, listen to nature, take deep and long breaths, meditate, just try to lay back a little and teach yourself to not lie out of compulsation.