How can I stop being a compulsive liar?

Parvathy Venugopal, MSc in Clinical psychology

Life is chaotic and you need to rest if you're tired. I am here to help you relax until you are ready to start over again.Your mental health is priority, so is your happiness.

PaintedPurple
I used to lie a lot. I still do more than I would like. I think lying comes from insecurity and fear of rejection or just bad feedback in general. All you have to do is accept yourself and let others accept you too. If you lie all the time, people don't have the true image of you to respect.
Plush
Think before you speak and ask yourself why are you lying? Is there a reason why you want to make up that story?
Polysophist
Compulsive lying is most commonly caused by you self-doubt and insecurities. One main solution is to increase your self-esteem. Self-esteem can be defined as your reputation with yourself and I think it shall be better by entering the realm of your unconscious and actual self rather than your ideal self.
ListeningForHope
April 2nd, 2017 3:15am
To stop being a compulsive liar is extremely difficult because this is something that you have become accustomed to. But there are numerous occurrences of changing our own behaviors each day. For example, if someone wants to stop eating meat, then it takes baby steps to do so. It can start with something as little as "today, I'm going to eat meat only once". The same thing can be said for Compulsive lying. Start by working on things that you can tell the truth about, focus on something small and gradually take steps that way. If you always lie about where you're going, try going to the place you're saying that you're going once a week, then twice, and so on. Same thing if you're lying about how much money you've spent today, as another example. Work by making that number within $20 of your total spending for that day. Then gradually get it to within $1 and then you'll easily be able to tell the truth regarding that subject. But everything comes over time. The first step towards becoming a better you is believing in yourself. Someone believes in you and you should too. But if you feel that no one you know does, then know that I believe in you. To quote Mean Girls "You go Glenn Coco!"
Anonymous
You need to face the truth. That is the hardest thing to do, but it is the right thing to do. Being a compulsive liar eats away at your core because you are always worried about others finding out the truth and having them find out that you are lying. People think lying will give them a sense of security and confidence, which is not something people need to lie to have. People need the truth, and sometimes you have to face the truth head on.. start with the little things and see how you feel telling the truth. If you start with baby steps and work your way slowly to not having to lie anymore, you will be okay. This is something everyone goes through, you are not alone.
Alyeska81
Keep a journal where you write down what you lied about every time you lie. Over time, seeing everything you said down on paper will make you want to stop. Also, think of lying to the ones you love. Why do you want to cheat them of the truth? These two tricks helped me a lot in overcoming this
Will19
The fact that you are aware that you are a compulsive liar, you need to understand that the mind constructs itself from behavioral patterns. Accepting things as they are.... Even if it means accepting yourself... Will lead you to living in truth.
BrookeNoel03
Remember that all of your actions have a consequence. Some better than others but if you keep lying about things in life you'll be causing more trouble than anything else
Anonymous
Be very active and mindful of what you say. Compulsive lying typically starts with half-truths, and bigger and bigger lies are made to try to hide the lying. Listen to yourself when you speak, and ensure that you always say the full truth, not just part of it.
CompassionVigilante
Often times, people who lie a lot have a deep, subconscious feeling of inadequacy. You first need to ask yourself about why you lie and understand it. An understanding of why you do it will help you to transcend those feelings and eventually reduce your need to feed those feelings.
ingeniousPeace79
shift attention to a new you like a truth teller, honest person don't fight with negative states work to build a positive new one
Anonymous
First of all, sit down and think about the 'lies' you are telling. Are they affecting people negatively? If so, consider this... "Would I like it if someone told me this?". On the other hand, white lies are harmless.. When they're kept to a minimum level. Constant white lies may turn into compulsive lying. Tell the truth. Whether it hurts or not, people always like a truthful person. (I'm brutally honest to people, that's why I'm often asked for opinions).
Anonymous
November 21st, 2017 7:48am
There isn't a quick or easy answer to how to stop a compulsive behavior. One little step at a time, and there are going to be setbacks. But, dedication, courage, determination, and stubbornness work well. Study and practice, years of it. Trust me, it's worth it
KenziiShy
One of the tricks I used when I was young was asking myself if I can remember all the lies I tied together. Things won't make sense if you forget one thing you made up. It's embarrassing when people find you out and then everything else feels like a lie. Realizing that what I have already in my life is good enough also helped end lying. I didn't need to make up how terrible my life was because I didn't need the attention anymore. I found other ways to fill in that gap so I didn't feel like I had to lie to make my life seem either horrid or great.
GreatChance
First of all, props to you for acknowledging that! Everyone tells smaller or bigger lies every day, and by being aware of how much you lie and how it affects you and the ones around you is a great start. I also struggle sometimes with this, and a lot of times is actually easier for everyone involved to just say the truth. This way you don't have to live with the stress that they find out and so on. I would say there are two ways to work around it. First, if it is an important thing you have to tell someone and you find yourself prone to hiding the truth, message that person in advance that you have to tell them something in person and say in right away when you meet, so you do not start creating scenarios in your head. Secondly, if it is a small lie you find yourself telling, just try to make a joke out of it: just kidding...I actually did this instead. I hope this helps! You have the power to change, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
KongfuPanda
First, have some compassion for yourself. Keep in mind that everybody lies at some point in their lives. Second, try to see if you can discover a pattern of your lies. What do you lie about the most? When do you lie? What are you trying to cover up by lying? Try to get under the surface of your lies.
Stoot
Seeking professional help is probably the best thing to do in this situation. Otherwise it's a good step to anaylse yourself and think about the reasons and situations in which you find yourself lying.
vicwv
The first step is to be aware of it, then talking about it is an opportunity to find what is triggering this behavior.
InFairness
First ask yourself what positives you get from lying, how does it benefit you. Once you have recognised this you have tolook for the triggers that cause it, it might be being in a particular situation, or with someone who you feel you have to lie to. Catch yourself every time you attempt to do it, mentally acknowledge it. Instead remember that you are trying to change either because of the effect its having on you, a relationship or any other circumsance. Finally come clean. It's scary, yes and it can have repercussions, but once its out thats it, the weight is lifted off your shoulders. In the future continue to recognise the points when you would do it, and instead pride yourself for not doing it. People lie for many reasons, i would tend to look behind the lying itself for the issue causing you to lie and attempt to deal with that.
here2help5
Just be honest. I know it will be hard but nobody deserves to be lied to. I was in a relationship with a person and its difficult. You never know when they are lying or being truthful.
AstralScion26
See the damage it is doing to others in your life, especially the ones that you love the most. That is the last thing you would want Is to see them In pain in any way, shape or form
XavierxCain
Try to catch yourself lying. Try to tell the truth times where you would usually lie. Maybe talk to a professional about it.
Anonymous
If you want to stop being a compulsive liar, you can see why you would lie in the first place and decide upon if it's a fair action to take, after finding if it's not beneficial than you can choose whether to change your actions or not.
SpnLove16
Start be believing in yourself! The Truth will set you free. Before you lie ask your self this question. Why do you lie? When you lie does it really help you?
tiredsnail
Stay true to yourself and to others, and it will help you become more of an honest person and understand who you truly are.
Anonymous
Never forget who you are. Do you want to be like that? Acceptance is key, and acknowledging the fact that you want to change. That itself will prompt something, and hopefully you’ll change yourself. Otherwise, just watch what you say, knowing and understanding your feelings.
Anonymous
Firstly, try to accept what you have done, and what you are doing. Try to figure out why you lie, and what you can do to stop and kill the root.
saintmccallister
By being forthcoming with yourself and understanding that you are doing something that is not only hurting others, but also yourself.
Anonymous
My sister was a compulsive liar when I was younger. After a while, it was hard to believe even every day things, like what she had for breakfast. I suggest you get a small notepad or put a note in your phone. If its well known that you are a liar, take time after a lie to say "That's not what I meant." and then tell them the truth. Start small and after a while, you'll notice lying isn't an instinct anymore. Good luck.
Otterbox1000
Start telling the truth. Even if it seems like it’s something small and unimportant, it will start building on itself.