How can I stop being angry?

How can I stop being angry?

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

NekoSensei
Take a deep breath and think that what are you doing... it is going to lead you nowhere but is nly going to affect you so try let it go
Erynn
In an immediate sense, mindfulness, breathing, and physical activity can help. In a long term sense, it can help to start understanding why you are angry. What sets off anger? What feelings and thoughts are related to your anger? Fear? Anxiety? Jealousy? Hurt? ...? You can work to address those thoughts and feelings through various CBT and DBT skills. It can also help to practice positive ways of expressing yourself, and finding ways you feel you can be heard accurately and honestly. On the flip side, practicing hearing other's sides and listening to their story can also help you train yourself to feel empathy instead of or in addition to your anger. Professional counseling may help as well. And avoiding substances can help you keep a tighter grip on your emotions and actions.
nightrain
I have to stop myself and think about how much precious time I am wasting on being angry. While sometimes necessary or expected, anger eats at you, and letting go and learning to not be bothered is one of the best things you can do, because in the end, holding on to anger will only hurt yourself. Communicating my emotions with others, or exercising, these things can help allow me to stop being so angry. I always feel much better not being angry with someone and just accepting that people are people. We can only control ourselves at the end of the day.
lanabo
Get a pen and paper. Write a letter. If you're angry at someone, write it to them (never send it). Or just scribble down whatever comes to mind. Stream of conscious. Don't hold back.
Lifenote
Anger is usually caused from lack of realization, theres underlying issues that we haven't dealt or come to terms with, sometimes we don't even know why we are so angry, we feel it. The best solutions are to find a outsource for the anger, in the types of things that do not cause injury to others, examples been the gym, or running or anything that lessens our energy levels that we are unable to use it towards anger.
Anonymous
you can stop being angry by thinking positivly in the situation you are in. If you feel angry, take a deep breath and think about something that makes you happy :)
jaca
Pause for a while, calm yourself, close your eyes, breathe in and out for at least three times or until you felt at peace with yourself already.
nuuuris
Sometimes writting all our feeling down can really help, or also you can talk abut this with a listener, we'll always be here for you. I know sometmies it's really hard to manage your emotions and mostly when you are angry. It's is normal to be angry sometimes. Feel free to message me if you need it lovie!
Shezad
you need to first of all take yourself away from the situation, if it is not physically possible to walk away then at least mentally go to your happy place to try and calm down. then after a while the situation can be addressed more reasonably without conflict. you have to remember that the only person or situation you can control is yourself and the actions you take. a lot of results will depend on our reaction to the situation and our perception of it. if its a long term issue then you need to see a therapist to address the underlying reasons for your anger
Peacegirl
November 22nd, 2014 3:44am
There are many ways differing individually. For me, I stop talking, take a deep breath, put on my earphones, then i count numbers till I calm down
Manpreet
Being angry is the state when flow of our thoughts and desires get blocked by any reason. Whenever anger arise try to understand where your desire get blocked rather than projecting your anger on others.
Anonymous
Try to focus on the good Things instead of the bad! Maybe by training yourself to enjoy the little things and work toward the goals you set for yourself will help. Journaling really helps me channel my frustrations, and so does reading, watching movies. Find the things that make you happy and stick to them. Put your happiness before anything else! And do what it is that YOU want.
thisismejessica
December 22nd, 2014 6:03am
Angry is a natural emotion, and it can be righteous when it is a reaction of witnessing injustice. The issue is when the anger brings aggressive behaviors. You can try to control it by recognizing the underlying feeling behind your anger. Instead of responding to your anger by destroying things / punching people / do harm, try to ask your self what makes you feel so angry, and what you feel underlying the anger.
RobynCares
January 2nd, 2015 8:26pm
If there is a specific reason you are angry, it's important to face the source of the anger. Other than that, there are ways to release your anger in healthy ways, such as exercise, art, and music.
Anonymous
Take deep breaths, just take a little moment for yourself with some calming music, maybe it can be relieving and calming
katiebelle
Come up with reasons you should be happy instead as a distraction. Write a list. Carry it around. Allow yourself to realize that it is not crucial to focus on the things that make you angry. Anger only hurts you. If it is pertaining to a specific person or situation, talk it out. Be honest. Be straightforward. Explain yourself without coming off as harsh or mean. Keep carrying that list. Smile, even if you don't mean it. Smiling physically causes you to mentally become happier because of dopamine being released.
twelvetigerlillies
When I'm angry, I often need to accept my anger. If you fight your anger, and feel bad about feeling that way - I find it makes me even more angry! So first, I accept it. Second, I try to understand just why I'm angry - is it a situation, or is it something deeper? Often it is an unresolved issue. Most often, I find myself allowing myself to be vulnerable, letting down your walls really allows anger to just wash away.
supportiveSummer81
Do things that make you happy! Try a new activity, cooking class, hiking, exercise class, art class, even listening to music helps!
Yahaans
Well anger can come from many sources. People in our environment, what life style we currently life, the problems with environment can also include your house problems,or your car,or school/college problems,ect. Try to find out what is making you angry and find solutions to it. In life we tend to blame others instead of looking for solutions. Trying to not blame someone can be hard but they might have made a mistake or had a reason for doing certain things. One way I know how to stop being angry is by realizing what I'm thinking. Controlling our own thoughts might be one way to stop anger. Or maybe just finding ways to relax can help too. Everyone lives in a different situation, open your mind and find the way you want to stop being angry.
SJA18
Try to find a creative outlook for you to take your anger out on such as sports or video games. If your anger gets too out of control then you should consider seeing a psychologist or reaching out for help.
breemichelle
It depends on what you're angry about. Why are you angry? When did you become angry? What struck your anger?
wonderfulWaterfall86
Do something that takes your mind of the reason why you are angry. Read, draw, sing, swim, whatever you love to do. It always makes you happy
BeInJoy
I'm not sure anger is an emotion that can be "stopped." Anger has to be transferred into something more useful. For instance, some pyromaniacs choose the profession of a fireman to be able to quench their urge, but do it constructively. Perhaps using anger in a positive or useful way is all that's needed. If you have a socially acceptable outlet (like cage fighting or boxing), or you can channel that anger to something like art or music, you will heal what has made you feel angry in the first place by using your outlet to understand your emotion.
TheLadyK
What if you didn't need to? I've been noticing lately that the more I let myself feel whatever I'm feeling, the sooner it dissipates. If I keep fighting it, or trying to avoid it because it's "unpleasant," then it tends to linger. Anger isn't bad; hurting yourself or someone else in anger is bad. Alone, anger is just a feeling. Learning how to meditate is an amazing way to be able to breathe through and observe anger. So is scribbling hard and fast in a journal, or punching a pillow. I believe anger will shift if given space. Like everyone and everything else, it just wants to be heard.
BlissfulMind04
Focus on what is making you angry. If you can change the outcome to something good, then start. If you can not change the situation,then remind yourself, anger does not resolve anything but wasted time & energy. Things will get better,no matter how long it takes. And someone is always there to listen.
truefrend
Meditation,yoga , perusing your favorite hobby, listing to music of your choice physical activity like outdoor sports ect controls anger to a very large extent.
Vatsa
January 21st, 2016 12:21pm
Meditate. Meditation really helps our mind to calm down and lets us focus on other important things. It also prevents anxiety attacks.
TidalWavesx
January 23rd, 2016 3:51am
Focus on things that make you happy rather than angry. For example: find a hobby (drawing, painting, writing, cooking ..etc) or find ways to release your anger ( look into boxing, doing yoga, or just even going for a simple walk to blow off steam).
Anonymous
by removing or ignoring the cause of the anger.. As simple as that.. Have an attitude of 'Never mind' And you will be always happy and not angry..
Anonymous
Breathe. I know it sounds so pointless, but really. Close your eyes, keep still and breathe. It helps more than you'd imagine. Remind yourself that anger isn't worth it. The sad truth is, it's like stabbing yourself with a knife and wishing it hurt someone/something else - You're only hurting yourself. So when you're angry, just breathe x