How can I stop being angry?

How can I stop being angry?

Lindsay Simon, LMFT

I work from a holistic perspective to help my clients heal from various mental, emotional, and relationship problems. My style is direct,honest, supportive, and nonjudgmental.

dancingLion66
what makes you angry, is it related to any situation, person, or any memories. tell me when was the last time you were angry and for what
TheSupport
Count to ten calmly or yell at a pillow or a wall or go outside for a walk and just try to calm down and relax and if possible think about very positive things.
chocolateolivemocha
I usually think about what being angry will do... Usually the answer is nothing so I take a deep breath, exhale and walk away. I often find myself in tricky situations and sometimes it's incredibly hard to walk away, but, I try so hard to hold onto this logic and rationale, that is the only thing that I have keeping me 'sane' and preventing me from lashing out. My ex boyfriend's father once said to me "be in control of your emotions, don't let them control you". Powerful words I though, and then... easier said than done... Recently I practiced the above, over and over again, and so far, it is working!
Anonymous
It's impossible (generally) to never get angry. Anger is a natural emotion . But you can learn to control that anger by trying to understand where the other person is coming from. Anger is also a defense mechanism ; it might help to realize that nobody is out to hurt you , but rather they may just be telling you the harsh truth to help you and it might help to take this as constructive feedback instead of getting angry
anansiBoy
February 3rd, 2016 5:09pm
"Zoom out." "You zoom out and look at things from that perspective." - from a friend who wanted to do just that.
Anonymous
I take in long deep breaths, and try to get my mind off whatever it was that angered me. That is it.
Anonymous
The best way to stop being angry is to go outside and look out at nature or the stars overhead. You'll probably realize that whatever you're angry about doesn't really matter all that much.
hopefulWaterfall35
From personal experience I believe that to stop being angry you have to stop seeing things from one point of view. You have to develop this growing mindset that people go through a lot of things, things we might not understand and it is our empathy that brings us closer to understanding others. It is normal to be angry and it can take practice to control those small outbursts of anger. The way I see anger is like a challenge, you have to understand when its there and how you are going to react wisely towards the circumstance at hand.
Anonymous
Try not to take it out on other people. See if you can channel your anger into exercise instead of letting it stew.
Shaddow
I can't stop being angry, its my birth right. Though I can control it. I do it by killing my ego for the people I love, and don't get offended from what they say no matter what. End the conversation there itself when i feel that i may offend them rather than saying things that might hurt them. Talk about that matter when i'm in my senses.
Anonymous
Take deep breathes and focus on things you enjoy, until your anger blows over. Don't act without thinking.
Anonymous
By learning to control anger when it occurs it can also affect your appetite and behavior with someone else.
Anonymous
You should find an activity or a thought that distrscts you from.anger i found holding babies or pets is really helpful also as an example.of a thought you cpuld like connect any kind of thought to you being peacful and calm.so everytime.you are angry and you think of it it calms you alittle
kjaaquinn1
As I have learned not to let my emotions control my reactions, i have found peace in life! Powerful Indeed!
- Expert in Managing Emotions
Anger is normally build up by some suppressed emotions/issues. Its good if you can find the source of your anger and deal with it in order to stop the anger.
Arakhthanda
try to first relax and then find out what part of the situation that makes you angry. Once you do that, you will be able to face it more authortatively, whether the situation is caused by your own beliefs about others or when others directly made you angry.
CreamofYes
March 22nd, 2016 8:25pm
Ask yourself why you're angry, and reflect on your emotion. I often find that when I think about why I'm angry, I not only learn stuff but I end up relaxing a little.
Anonymous
This is a tough one. I've often wondered how to stop being angry all the time. Whether it's at your husband, wife, girlfriend, or boyfriend - figuring out how to stop being angry is really important in day to day life, and will make everyday experiences better and more pleasant. I'd suggest talking to someone on 7 Cups, to try and find out what sorts of things are making you angry. Is it depression, anxiety, or grief? Something else?
polarbear21
November 1st, 2016 5:31am
When things frustrate you, take a moment to breathe before you react. Think about what has frustrated you. Think about how you can change your attitude and respond in a calm manner.
Anonymous
Its difficult .. but you can control by regular practice...as at last you harm yourself, count 1-10 when you feel angry and control yourself.
Anonymous
Try reassessing the situation in a different perspective. Put yourself in the other person's shoes or try to have a more positive mental attitude. And don't forget to breathe. Calming your breathing and muscles helps a lot most of the time.
CJLion87
I know when i get angry i will try to ask my self questions about what is actually causing the anger. Sometimes when i am angry at friends i will have to consciously try and see the situation from their side and try to realize if we had a misunderstanding or not. Its not always easy to do this but i have found that when i do take that second to see other sides of my aggression i can overcome the anger and think more clearly about solutions. Other times it take me explaining to those friends that i am mad and what caused that feeling to emerge.
Anonymous
It's alright to be angry and try not scolding yourself for it. anger is as natural a feeling as is happiness, sorrow, or anything for that matter. the main prblem it becomes is when you hurt others or yourself when being in that state of feeling, either by saying them words you shouldn't be saying, being violent with others, or with oneself. try and embrace the feeling, admit that you feel this way, and keep asking questions in your brain before reacting to anything or saying anything. it is particularly important to know the consequences that might be brought while reacting certain way, or atleast having an idea of what it might be....at this point i know maybe i don't make any sense...but id khow else to say it. last and the most important, iin the most sorrowful or angry days. try and see goodness in the smallest of things, do things you enjoy AND MEDITATE.