How can I stop being so sensitive?

How can I stop being so sensitive?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Anonymous
Being sensitive is a normal thing. That shows you that you're a human, because everyone has emotions, right ? Everyone is sensitive for something. It all depends on what you're focused on and what means something to you. For example. Someone's focused on his hair. When anybody comments hair of that person, it doesn't matter if the comment is positive or negative, that person will either get happy(or proud)/sad(or nervous), because hair means something to that person. But, if someone commented your hair, and you're not focused on how your hair looks, you won't care right ? So it all depends on what are you focused on. If you're too focused on people, you'll be sensitive. That's all I have to say. :)
Siouxsie
Sensitivity, or defensiveness, is most often aggravated when something threatens our sense of self worth. It happens when we care too much about what others think, or because we actually believe what they are saying/or not saying. The key is self care; to learn about yourself and grow to love yourself. Therapy helps with this, as well as 12-Step programs.
blissfulWaterfall17
January 22nd, 2016 8:45pm
From personal experience, I think to be less sensitive one must lower the impact of others words and doing onto one's own life. For example, it helps to not let things bother you as much and be okay with not everything going your way. You have to learn that not everything may be as you think it is, and you also have to take things less personally.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2014 12:46am
I built up a wall that took me months. I started to act cold and it could help you a bit if you start building those walls as well. some people might think of you more rude but remind them of what they said to you.
Anonymous
Stop being so sensitive by going out and focusing on things you enjoy doing to keep your mind off things and just be an outstanding person.
Its okay to be sensitive if that's who you are, but at the right place, right time and to the right person.
Spirited1
Sensitivity is a great quality, akin to empathy and compassion. Ask yourself why being sensitive is a problem? Practise de-personalising other people's negative emotions and managing your own so that you are better placed to deal with and potentially help people who trigger your sensitivity. Embrace your sensitivity but consider ways you can balance yourself and recharge so that you make the most of this wonderful attribute.
chaddy0101
November 21st, 2014 9:06pm
Try and analyse what is being said first before immediately jumping to conclusions about what someone might be saying. Try and not react if something hurts you emotionally and if it persists either try and remove yourself from that situation entirely or ask the person to stop as you do not like it. Sometimes confrontation can be a good way of communicating to others how you are feeling.
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2014 11:12am
Being sensitive can lead to many problems for you so you should let the things go because stuff happens. Don't make it come to you.
Anonymous
One thing that helps me a lot is to understand that whatever anyone says only affects you if you let it! Some things that could help is telling yourself that maybe the person didnt even realize that they hurt your feelings!
thisismejessica
December 22nd, 2014 5:52am
I think sensitivity is a very beautiful gift. Not everyone is granted this gift of being able to feel deeply. However, when this becomes too much (hypersensitive), that could become an issue. I think the best way to stop being so hypersensitive is by: 1) realizing and accepting your sensitivity gift; 2) know that you are not responsible for other people's feelings.
Arkelight
Getting to the reason as to why you're overly-sensitive in the first place is often a good course of action. There are a lot of unhealthy ways to deal with this that you need to be cautious about, shutting down entirely can lead to future problems or issues that you'd rather avoid. Talking to someone about this or seeking CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) can often help.
SageBunny
January 2nd, 2015 3:01am
Nothing wrong with being sensitive. But what you can do is to figure out which areas in your life that you're really sensitive about, and try to figure out why. Zoom out and attempt to look at the bigger picture. Know that most people who are offending you are doing so out of ignorance, not malice. (Avoid malicious people if possible.) Be forgiving toward yourself -- and remember that sensitivity isn't always a bad thing!
Anonymous
I think it depends on your personality type. If you've always been a sensitive person, it just might be who you are and I don't think there's anything you can do otherwise, you'd be changing yourself. If not, though... building a wall and not taking everything other people say seriously, helps.
compassionateturtle101
Being sensitive isn't a bad thing although you are contanty told it is. Sensitivity comes from emotions that building up inside you so don't hide these emotions, let them surface.
SaturnReturn
June 22nd, 2015 4:05am
Sensitivity to people and situations can have its cons and pros. The pros mean that you actually care about the situation and you can have positive ways to show sensitivity like sharing empathy with others, and later gaining more friends and people you trust. The con is when it can get the better of you. I think this comes with time and situations. Everytime you have a situation where you feel like "something gets to you/under your skin" and you get very emotional about it, wanting to act out in some way, I would say always question yourself in an objective manner and ask "was I being too sensitive". Also observe if you are just trying to justify your actions or are you truly the one being too sensitive. Sensitivity can result in built in frustrations and later paranoia of feeling like everyone is against you, life is against you, etc. This will not help. You need to eventually realize that you need to balance sensitivity. When the feelings get built up and you want to release what is making you have higher emotions, bring in some logic in the situation, understand that you may not have the whole story, give people the benefit of the doubt, and if things continue to be a problem then you may not be sensitive and the issue may truly need to be addressed. So this is more of reflecting and making sure whether you are being too sensitive and finding ways to change that. Alaways question yourself, be patient, trend every situation, and act to resolve issues like talking to those who are upsetting you. You may find a whole new perspective by listening to other person and overtime it will give you a stronger sense of self to know you are entitled to your feelings, you have the confidence to resolve situations, you are willing to work together with others to resolve issues, and finally learn whether you need to take a new path in life (if you find you are not just being sensitive but theres a real issue in the situation). So in the end sensitivity isn't necessarily a bad thing it just needs to be analyzed and either forgive those others or resolve.
Anonymous
Stop overthinking or reading too deeply into details and understand that we are all the centres of our own universe. While you may be worrying about what others think, others will be worrying about what you think. This means you shouldn't take everything to heart, and learn to accept or brush things off. Resilience is key.
Anonymous
just be yourself and don't think too much about what others are saying about you. Don't let the events in your life be a hindrance of the things that you can accomplish
theteayogi
A good trick I've found is to separate myself from the situation. It's easy to say not to take something personally but harder to do. By realizing that most of the time a person's reaction has less to do with me and more about them, I often avoid feeling hurt.
thewallflowerlea
There is nothing wrong with being sensitive. If you don't want to show it to the world try not to fucus on the things which make you senisitive in public. Take your mind off things which make you senistive
resourcefulMoment56
wells it's a feeling. Accept for what you felt. But let it go. You can't change whatever already happen. Move ON
AutumnLeigh
Sensitivity is very hard to deal with. For some people it's in their nature to feel upset over another's words or actions. We must try to remember that sometimes others are taking frustrations that have nothing to do with us on us because we just happen to be there when they need to take out their frustration on someone. It's important to ask ourselves a few simple questions when we become sensitive to someone's remarks or actions. Did I have anything to do with someone's frustration? Am I reacting to something that I am sensitive to by my own experience? Is someone who is hurting me know just where my panic buttons are and are pushing them to get a reaction? getting in touch with our sensitivities is important in overcoming being overly sensitive.
PacificSunrise
What if being sensitive isn't something you need to stop, but be embraced? We all have some abilities where we are above normal. Some people have better hearing, seeing, etc... For those who are sensitive are more aware and in-tune to their surrounding. Perhaps, a better way to look at it is to find ways to cope with it and bring this gift to the world somehow.
Alien10
You gotta try living a rough life. You need to get hurt so badly that you become less sensitive... Trust me, you may not wanna do that
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2016 10:28pm
By learning how to self love. Ask yourself this. Would your rather suffer, or Would your rather be happy. After that it's simple. Know that you can start being that.
strawberry1995
Try giving yourself pep talks in the mirror every morning! This really helps to build up your self confidence.
1musicloverever
You don't. There's nothing wrong with being so sensitive. There are ways to limit it at certain occasions, but if you're emotional and sensitive there's a valid reason. Do not let someone think that your voice and opinion isn't valid and shouldn't be valued. You are amazing and you matter.
TheColumn
Try to imagine how sensitive, or insensitive other people are. Now, if they can not care or just pass over something you said... why should you react or overreact every time they say something? Trick is... do not care that much for all the other people say. You need just few chosen people, and do not waste your time nor energy on the world...