How can I stop over-thinking about everything and just take the time to realize that everything's going to be okay?

Andrea McDonald, MSW, LICSW

It is important to know that you are not alone, life can be difficult I am here to help you navigate and resolve issues that can feel overwhelming.

Aventurina
The mind is programmed to think, just as much as the heart is programmed to pump blood. Just because it is programmed to think , it does not mean that it has to be control us rather than we control it. When your heart starts beating fast, you breathe deeply to slow it down. Why not try doing the same with your mind? When it starts to over think why not focus on breathing in deeply and slow? Feel the breathe, hear it moving in ... And out... Smell the air...close your eyes and continue... Then you realize that you are living in the present moment, and that moment is the only real moment, and in that moment you are safe, you are okay.
Anonymous
You can stop over-thinking and realize everything will be okay by looking at the bigger picture of life. Ask yourself questions. We are specks of dust in the universe. We are all part of the universe, always have and always will be.
LilyFlowers
Sounds like anxiety to me. Anxiety is speeding up your brain and your not able to find rest. Take some time for calmness and grounding, intentionally mark a time to do so. Do something special for yourself, just yourself. and then that time when your focusing on yourself in a positive way, then see how life appears.
BeautifulRoseQuartz
Learn that time will maker things better and that everything will fall into place no obstacles or barriers.
IamaListener04
For that you have to live in the present moment..as living in the present will avoid unwanted thoughts,worries...and positivity will automatically come.
gracefulAngel96
Feelings of worry and overthinking are very commonly associated with anxiety. Learning to cope with feelings of anxiety can range from just simply talking to someone to gain perspective, to taking anti-anxiety medications. Figuring out what works best for you and trying different treatments can definitely help with the alleviation of these symptoms.
BeInJoy
This question hits very close to home. I'm an over-analyzer. I think everything down until it's no longer in its original form. What I have learned over the years through therapy, self-help books, and meditation is to have something else - a trigger - to focus on when your mind begins to race. For me, I notice the space around me. I notice the lightness of the areas that are not occupied. I look for the space between books or the clothes in my closets. I see and feel the space between my body and the windshield of my car. Once I take myself out of my head for even a moment to be in the present and notice what is right in front of me, the thoughts clear away. Although I tend to jump back in to them fairly quickly, I have a new sense of clarity. If you can find something that interests you - maybe the touch of your body to your chair, or the sound of computer keys, or even the light coming through the window, it's much easier to use that as your 'trigger."
Aubrey23
I think it's normal to overthink from time to time, it's human! But I think in order to control it better you need to take some time for yourself and distract yourself with some self-care routines. Maybe take a bubble bath, chat to a friend, bake something or take some stress out at the gym? What ever makes you happy and keeps your mind occupied in a constructive way, for a while.
generoushuman5
Just keep yourself busy and know what's important and get it done. Keep reminding yourself or keep saying 'I'm in the right track and everything is going the way I wanted'. It's very important to tell yourself again and again that things will be okay even if it's not going well. If you think you are over-thinking you will know from your feelings. You have to change your thoughts. Remember you change the channel when you don't like it. In the same way you have to change your thoughts. Try listening to your favourite songs, go for a walk or talk to someone how you are actually feeling.
empathyflower1759
It is best to mindfully focus on what is happening right now in front of you. There will still be times when you drift away.. conscious efforts are all that it takes. :)