How can I stop someone from hurting me when they don't care about my feelings?

★ This question about Managing Emotions was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Alyssaaaaa
You can't really control another person, but you can control how you take what they do, and how much of it you will let get to you. I think it's all about how you respond to their actions, and also your perspective on it. If they don't care about your feelings, then you shouldn't care about their opinion or what they think about you as well. If they are hurting you physically, or if you are experiencing verbal or physical abuse, seek help. You do not deserve to be treated that way.
Alethiology
If they don't care about your feelings then try your best to expel them from your life. They don't matter.
Anonymous
If possible, stop being around them / block them on whatsapp etc.. Being around people that don't care about your feelings and hurt you doesn't do you any good.
Anonymous
If someone doesn't seem to care about your feelings, it might be a misunderstanding because of some many things that haven't been discussed between the two of you. Maybe you can tell the other person how you are feeling and see how he or she reacts. Maybe it's not clear for him or her that s/he's hurting you.
rose37xo
You aren't responsible or in control of anybody else's choices. It's heartbreaking when we feel that someone doesn't care about us, but we do not control their words or actions. However, you have your own free will, so you can protect yourself by distancing yourself from negative people that don't seem to care about you. Don't be afraid of them, and try to understand where they're coming from too, because there's always more than one side to every story. Surround yourself with people who DO care for you, and find activities to do that you enjoy. There's so much out there just waiting for you, and you don't need to waste your time worrying about one negative person.
CarissasHereToTalk
Sometimes the best thing to do when somebody doesn't care about your feelings is to let them go and not let them be a part of your life anymore for your own good. That doesn't mean to be mean to them or not wave back at them if they see you somewhere, but don't give them the chance to hurt you.
SoaringWings
Simply put- you can't. If someone truly doesn't care about your feelings, then there is likely something going on with them internally that prevents them from feeling empathy towards you. Thus the hurtful comments/abuse. The best thing to do in this situation is to either remove yourself from it or work on seeing them for what they are and know that their hurtful comments are coming from a place inside THEM and are not a true reflection of YOU.
caringJ86
The best way to stop some one from hurting your feelings is to stop giving them that much of importance. When we give importance to someone the hold that power over you. It will hurt if the feelings are not reciprocated. So stop giving them priority over other things in your life.
mthilliard
You need to stop caring. You can't control what they think. It is in your best interest to find people that care about you and if they don't, move on.
gracefulBeauty100
We are not responsible for others action and we can't control other people or the things that are happening to us. But we can choose how to react. Pain is in ourselves, but only if we let it in.
Anonymous
Make them understand that you're also a human like them, that they shouldn't treat you like that, i guess.
Anonymous
Just be honest, tell them exactly how you feel, if they dont listen. Then tell someone close to you
Anonymous
Realize that if the person you care about doesnt care about your feelings then you deserve better and you need to move on cx
WonderlandRabbit
Well, if this person really doesn't care for you it will be really hard for you to stop them. However, they should acknowledge that you are a person as well and they should respect you at the very least. Tell them that you don't have to be friends but respect should be a given.
Anonymous
People can only affect you if you let them. If someone doesn't care about your feelings then they shouldn't be allowed to direct them.
WhimsicalZamboni
Recognize that their anger likely comes from a place of pain. This makes their attack less personal and you become more empathetic towards their plight.
Anonymous
You get away from that person. Whoever does that to you does not deserve to be around the plethora of awesomeness that is you
Zozzie
If this person is upsetting you and seems to gain pleasure from achieving a negative reaction from you, maybe consider hiding your reaction from them- it may not feel like a solution to for example, go and cry where they can't see you, but this will increase their boredom as they no longer get the reaction they desire. Think of their actions as a form of attention seeking- they see you as a source of the attention they crave, and as a result return to you for it time and time again. Additionally, this will allow you to become stronger generally as you will learn to control your feelings so you are able to choose when, where, and how you release them, as opposed to breaking down in situations that make you feel worse. You may want to find out if their actions are intentional as they may just lack compatibility with you- take the example of an introvert and extrovert: the introvert may not feel comfortable with being put in the spotlight, but the extrovert being more confident may force this upon them purely as an unfortunate lack of empathy that will cause unintentional upset.
Anonymous
My best advice is to ask if you care about them? If the answer is yes, why care about someone who's feelings aren't mutual. In heartbreaks the best qoute I've read was "Why should I be said? I lost someone someone who didn't, yet they lost someone who loved them" I think this is such a great way to look at moving on.
Anonymous
Talk it out with them or someone you trust. You don't have to go through this alone. Best of luck :)
AutumnSunset23
Be assertive and stand up for yourself. Be strong. And reach out to close family members or friends for support.
candy37
I stop someone from hurting me by ignoring them slowly slowly . that will get them to understand that they need to back off
revanth1538
yes, almost all lot of us one or more situations may had this experience. it may be more times because of miscommunication or misunderstanding. some times with some another reason may be because of some another reason which we may never know. I n that situation, if i know that there is no fault of me in any way, i will keep calm stare at him . then the flow of talk naturally will come down. he may think to change the strategy or start introspection. it may change the situation. or simply you can say "I am no more taking your words. keep with you & see you. soon. bye. ".
sweetSun27
I can stop someone from hurting me by standing up for myself and subtracting then from my life. Keeping the positive in and leaving the negative aspects behind.
peacefulPerspective38
if they don't care, nothing will make them care, maybe they'll when they know it's possible to lose you, so they put more efforts, but if they don't, keep away from them |:/
GoodVibes97
Honestly, leave them be they aren't worth it if all they ever do is put you down they aren't worth being in your life. This person things that you can just be walked all over cause you're sweet and kind. Why be kind to someone who has no respect for you?
Br33zyS3tz
This may be troublesome to consider, the fact that some people may not care about your feelings, but the best way to protect yourself is to be strong, to be confident in yourself, to keep your head and spirits high; you know who you are, there is power in that. Don't respond to hurting comments or agitations, be the better and bigger person; demonstrate that you are above such immaturity, such ignorance and insecurity. Your power lies within you, its your job to acknowledge and display that power all the time; through thick and thin, you are characterized by this power, and with this power, no one can truly hurt you.
heavenKoala44
you can stop people from hurting you simply letting go. letting go is a difficult part in a relationship but it's necessary for your health because you can't be sad for the rest of your life. after this point, everything will seem better.
Poshia1
You have to stop talking to them, and try ignoring them. When someone keeps hurting you and doesn't care about how you feel, you have to let them go.
12farah21
I've found that the people who don't care about my feelings do not deserve to be given the ability to hurt me. Avoid them and their negativity, and if you can't do that, then just don't listen, their opinion wasn't asked for anyway.