How can I stop taking things so personally?

Evelyn Coker, Masters in Social Work-LCSW

You have many strengths to overcome any challenge you may face. I am passionate about assisting my clients realize and develop their strengths from the inside out!

Anonymous
Look for multiple causes for events. The world is complex. People harm each other and are harmed unintentionally sometimes. There are numerous reasons why bad things happen. Try to see things from multiple perspectives, and you will eventually arrive at a truth and a big picture that is more than the sum of its parts. A truth which you are a small part of, and not the center of.
CaveOwlet
You must understand that any one word, sentence, or even opinion that someone has of you does not at all define you as a person - the only things that define you are your own words and actions. Remember, others' opinions of you do not define you, they define only them. You define you.
LilyFlowers
When we take things personally, It's an act of self-attributing. It can mean that we need to focus more attention on our own self to see what unmet needs we have.
gracefulForever57
don't let everything get to you and remind yourself that not everything is about you it will take a lot of work and it may be hard at first but still its gunna be worth it
Anonymous
If someone were to give you an advice on something personal, it's because they want to help you. They are there to guide us from our mistakes and help us overcome the problems that we are facing. Thus, we should look from their perspective and learn.
Anonymous
I usually remember that people don't always remember what they're saying can be hurtful, and don't mean for it to be hurtful at all. They're not trying to purposefully hurt you.
Anonymous
Think about the other person and try to understand what they are going through and where they are comin from
Anonymous
We can all takes something that is said to us personally particularly if it's from someone close to use that is trying to be helpful when we are going through a tough time try not to take criticism to heart if it seems fair and also know you are not alone in take certain remarks personally we have all probably felt the same at some point in our lives.
Anonymous
I'm not sure if people can stop taking things personally. However, they can change how they react. I've heard that CBT works for some individuals.