How do I hold back my tears when I'm in public?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

MusicalMima55
This is what I do while I'm trying to think of a distraction: Open your eyes wide and look up, this will keep the tears in and they'll eventually dry before spilling.
YellowSunshine20
Try your best to think happy thoughts. Perhaps something that makes you laugh. I know it helps me :)
Anonymous
The Best way to hold back tears in Public is to keep yourself distracted with happy thoughts,Music or even pretending to be busy on your phone just try harder and harder or have someone close with you for company.
WesternCanada1
The first thing we could ask is why you would have to hold your tears, even when in public, since crying is no crime
kindMoment44
It's hard, but why not take a minute somewhere alone. Take deep breathes, tell yourself to be strong.
MissMaryMack
Don't hold them back, just go to a somewhat private place and try to calm down. Maybe take a close friend and have them help you through it.
contentedForest51
Just think about something happy and breath. In case you felt the tears can't be held try to avoid looking at people and the feeling will fade , hopefully
magneticPomegranate96
Give yourself a chance to experience the emotions. I can relate, if you would like to talk to me just schedule a time. :)
0Sara0
You shouldn't hold back your tears because suppressing your emotions makes it worse. Maybe crying in the bathroom is a good choice in public if you are afraid of being judged.
mightylove2014
For myself this is very hard to do, if it’s someone I have to deal with what their saying or doing if possible I turn away while still listening to them but if it is possible my first move would be to excuse myself for a few minutes to calm down. Also looking down at the floor or talking to myself in my head to keep me calmed down. Also when excusing myself I explain why I need to excuse myself and it’s my right to do so and they should except it. If they don’t I just keep repeating myself until they allow me to step away cause it’s my right
Anonymous
If you are already in public a good way is to breathe deeply a few times while trying to direct your thought to something positive. Try to keep your thought under control and push away the ones that makes you sad as soon as they arise. It is not the easiest exercise, if you manage this you should be very proud of you, especially if it is your first attempt. It is a bit easier if you are still by yourself and you still need to go out in public. Then you could use your favorite playlist, like a "cheer up" playlist of songs that are able to empower you, that makes you happy. At the same time you still do the above exercise, by pushing away difficult thought. This is how you can hold back your tears, but in the end you cannot deny your feelings, they will just grow deeper otherwise, once you have time for yourself again, explore them, do mindfulness exercises, find someone who can listen to you.