How do I keep myself from overreacting?

Jannise McKamey-Bruell, LAPC

I am a nonjudgmental counselor that employs transparency, trust, honesty and integrity in her practice and in the therapeutic relationship.

fasterturtlespls
Take a deep breath. It sounds simple, but it can be hard to remember in the moment, so try to get used to doing this when you feel stress or any turbulent feelings. Once you take a deep breath, try to imagine what you or whoever might witness your "overreaction" would feel like if they saw it.
PeacefulFlute74
This isn't always the answer, but it can be sometimes. If you have trauma in your history, you might not be overreacting. It might be that you are being "triggered". Something in the present is triggering a pain from the past. That can cause you to "overreact" to a current situation because you are reacting to something small in the present because it reminds you of a big hurt in the past. If that's what is happening, just knowing that you're being triggered can help. It can help to think of it as being triggered too, instead of thinking that you are overreacting. If you are getting triggered it helps to develop some self soothing techniques which will help calm you. If you Google "self soothing" you can find tons of information on how people do that. More than I can write here. The most important thing is to realize that you are not being unreasonable or irrational, that this is happening because of the old trauma. (If that is what is happening.) I hope this helps.
mikethedj4
"Live life in the moment and view each moment simply as a moment a point in time. In this moment we have a choice on what we're going to be and how we're going to react accordingly and be the person we want to truly be.”
calmSea76
I need to think before I act on what was being said or done. Pause a moment, breathe, think about what is going on, talking to somebody and not just act or get into ruminating about how bad it is.
You should not be shy of how u react to things, but always know there is the proper place and time to do so. If you think that it is not the right place and time to react the way you want to, then give yourself some space and time to react to it later.
lovecherry08
Meditation And Yoga May help you in such condition..See Its Human Nature,,You Need to control yourself not Let your emotions Control You..:)
Anonymous
I would take a breath and think about , take a step back from the situation and try to figure out what makes you feel that way.
dreamingCat7474
Overreacting often occurs as a result of surprise or shock and depending on the surprise must be evaluated.
Anonymous
Just calming down and knowing that it will all be alright, even if it seems otherwise. Overreacting is stressful. So when I am faced with one of those situations, mind over matter helps me the best.
HumbleBeefSandwich
Think about how what you are saying can affect the people that you are speaking to. Once you put yourself in their shoes, it is easier to stop yourself when you fee like you are going to get upset and over react. Think about this: Would i like to be talked to like this over something so little or dumb? Mike
CariHope15
Take deep breathes. Calm down. Clear your head. If it doesn't work count to ten over and over again until you feel calm.
RobVL
This is highly dependent on the situation. The first step is to be more mindful (try the 7 cups exercises or groups they help a lot). Being mindful focuses on you being aware of what is going on. This is done by first checking in on yourself and in particular focusing on your breathing. The minute you can focus on your breathing, you have more control of what you are feeling. Accept the feelings, give them a name, and let them go. Once you have mastered this things will be much easier.
HopieRemi
One way to stop yourself from overreacting would be to consider the facts rather than the opinion of the thing you are reacting to. Take deep breaths in and out, and count down from 10. How do you feel about keeping a journal of your thoughts where you can rationalize them on paper?
Anonymous
Before you speak/act on things, ask yourself: How deeply will this affect my well being? Do I need to make a situation out of this? If I do make a situation out of this, what would be accomplished?
FoodForTheSoul
You could try employing empathy and self-objectivity in situations which test your grounded energy.
SquishyRaspberries
Think about situations before you react. If someone says or does something to upset you, take a moment to think about the most reasonable way to respond. While it may seem like a good idea to have an emotional outburst to get the point across, after considering your options you'll likely decide that you can address the situation calmly and more effectively.
adoredIcicle46
I know how it feels to overreact and it feel horrible but heres my little trick. The reason why you overreact in the first place is anxiety. You may have a disorder or just common anxiety but either way it is still similar. If you are anxious you may feel full of thought and cant calm down so when something new comes by you don't know how to react. To keep yourself from overreacting is to first battle your anxiety by calming down. Once you feel stressed and anxious instantly try to calm down. There are many ways to try to be a calmer person like meditating or taking medicine or etc.
Shinyshayla123
Take time to understand the event/question/comment and understand the content and then you can decide how to respond
flashbangwallop
Take a few seconds/few minutes time out to just breathe. Sometimes taking a little step back can put things into perspective. However it can also be hard to teach yourself to do this. It might be good to try practising taking some time out in your day to day life - such as 5 minutes to sit and just breathe so you have had practise before a sitatuion arises where you may need to use this skill. :)
Anonymous
Try to identify your thoughts and validate them.. Analyse them and put yourself into the situation as a listener/ observer..
Here4u2smile
Stop. Think. What helps me is writing. Sometimes reading what you write can help you realize what you can do next time.
Karalaite
It depends. I saw some people overreacting, because they don't trust themselfs enough, therefore expects others to also see them badly. Any coment, any move is percieved as an insult, because person is so scared and harsh on themself, that can not believe others have positive or neutral feelings about them and don't intend any harm. I would suggest to start learning to love yourself and trust others, that they love you too.
Anonymous
A lot of times, you have to practice listening to yoiuyr thoughts. That is where you can unconsciouslybegin making a mountain out of a molehill. Try to rationalize with yourself, and ask if it really will affect you that much. Or think of what you would think if the event happened to anothwer person.
Kaishi29
Whenever a situation occurs where you feel overwhelmed or confused, try to see yourself as an outsider and perceive your own views upon yourself. Based on those views try to act appropriately.
lovingLynx89
Think how much you care about yourself and others and the stress you put yourself trough. Visualize your self calm and smile.
Ency
I usually try and put myself into the mindset that 20 years from now whatever feels like the end of the world right now might not seem so bad.
GuideOfTheGypsies96
When you feel you are , pause , breathe , wonder if it's worth all the stress. Otherwise yoga , meditation and a balanced healthy meal can bring down your stress.
0nlyHuman
By trying not to act on your first emotion, take a few breaths and think of how it really makes me feel and impacts me, usually things aren't as bad as they first seem :)
Renderstarve13
Just Calm down. Don't think like you have a undefeated problems. Everything is gonna be fine. Just calm.
LittleOleUs
If something upsets you, before you say something, think to yourself: Is what I am about to say helpful? Is it truthful? Is it harmful? Is it right? Double-check yourself, there is absolutely no harm in that.