How do I manage my panic attacks without becoming addicted to Xanax?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Leecub
As one who gets regular panic attacks, you do not need to be on medication. I do not take it and am surviving. The main thing to remember is to to breathe. Take long, deep breaths. In through your nose and our through your mouth
strawberryPeace46
January 22nd, 2015 1:17am
Some people manage panic attack without Xanax. Some use chamomile tea for anxiety, others stick to anti-anxiety diets: they reduce sugar, meat, fat and daily as much as they can and of course try to increase fits and vegetables. But the majority of persons manage panic attack through relaxation therapies ( Reiki, Yoga, Meditation, Massage). All these therapies elevate the levels of serotonin = the hormone that makes you feel good = . There are also very good breathing exercises that can be very helpful when you feel anxious.
JeremiahA
Recognize what triggers your panic attacks. Once you recognize the trigger work to ease your feelings about whatever it may be. Medication is only a temporary fix.
swingdream15
Be honest and open with yourself and others. This will help with both managing your panic attacks and preventing addiction. If you feel you are becoming addicted, discuss this with your doctor immediately. There are always more options available.
Talking with your professional healthcare provider can help you to sort out the best options for you.
Anonymous
There are three techniques : imagery, deep muscle relaxation, diaphragmatic breathing . Try them out and see what works for you?
Meagana99
Practice breathing techniques and thing that make u relax,find your triggers and whenever in that situation evualutate the level of danger,and weather 'fight' OT 'flight' reaction should be happening and remember to do breathing techniques
softNutella25
There are many ways to manage panic attacks and anxiety without medication, but if you do need it, that is ok as well. I have struggled with panic attacks and anxiety the majority of my life and luckily, I am now able to remain off medication by accepting that the panic attacks are not dangerous and are not truth. They definitely feel awful, but they are not a threat. I also started journaling and joined an online support group. All of these have helped significantly and you may be interested in looking into your own alternatives. Also, if medication is a must, talk to your doctor about less addictive medications as Xanax is a better option for short term needs due to its addictive nature.