How do I prevent negative thinking?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Anonymous
I can meditate, going to walk, talk to a friend, or listener here, try to help someone in need, try to think of someone, beside of myself.
Anonymous
Do things to prevent too much alone time and time to think negatively. Essentially, just stay active.
succourears
Keeping my mind busy with things I love to do, helping others and getting the satisfaction that others are happy keep me happy. By being preoccupied with positive things, there is no place left for negative thinking!
caringempath
Fill your head with positive thoughts. Brush Negative thoughts aside and mentally tell yourself that you do not need it. Replace those thoughts with positive ones.
Anonymous
Keep calm and modest. Think of a dream you once saw and were enchanted by it. Think on how nice our deepest desire of living in one of those is that we start to wonder how perfectly trivial our low concerns can really be.
electricDreamer95
Don't try to prevent negative thoughts but instead, change them into positive ones. For each negative thought that pops in your head, out-wieght it with a positive thought.
IMadeYouReadThisLol
Personally, i would keep my mind occupied but that is just a temporary solution we need to do things that will make us happy and be with people or do things that make us happy
exquisiteLion14
I go on 7 cups and read the uplifting posts people post on there, and if that's not enough, I read inspirational quotes online.
Themasterofunlocking
Find a hobby that you enjoy or something that youre passionate about and redirect your focus to the hobby/activity. Its better to focus on something else
BigDaddy247
Focus on one, just one, positive aspect of your life. Think what lead to that positive outcome. Try to relive it over and over again.
keepfighting22Lexi
Trying to keep a positive mindset is the first step. Take time for yourself and smile even when you're sad, it increases dopamine
Countrygal92
It can be very easy to end up caught in a cycle of negative thinking. I find it very helpful to keep a thought journal. The idea is, when I find myself having a negative thought I write it down and then under it I analyze the thought. Is this though rational? Is it helpful? Why might I be feeling this way? Once you start to notice your thought patterns you can then look at ways to change them into healthier patterns.
t1journeyon
In short, by riding it like a wave. Life is full of different emotions and events, and avoiding the negative, unfortunately, isn't possible. But, with the help of support, we can learn to better ride through the worst of times and get to the other side.
cristiana33
You can't. But you can exercise your awarenesss when seeing yourself focusing on them. Not everything we think it's true or good to stick with. So let go of those thoughts, distract yourself. Ask yourself is it true, is it useful? What makes you have those thoughts? With time you will learn to let go of them easier and faster.
Eronos
You can't. You have to acknowledge them, let them speak their reasons and listen to them, understand them and what they're trying to tell you. Only then you'll find the source of negative thinking, and then they will go away, satisfied because finally you listened to them.
onedirection1213
do things that you love to do! and Just Whenever you think of anything Negative always remember That you have tomorrow if today was bad. Its never too late to do anything in your life and just keep Working until you reach your goal and you should get out more do things that take away from thinking don't sit around doing nothing that's asking for too much thinking . Not healthy
sunshineVision16
by keeping busy, exercising and being able to help others. When you know you've helped someone you feel better and you don't think about the negative.
CharliePurse
take your mind off the subject and do something you enjoy with positive people around you. do not repress these feelings or bottle them up as it's best to talk to someone close about them.
Rahooligan2000
You can prevent negative thinking by focusing on the positive aspects of your situation. For example, if you are having a tough time with reaching a goal or are feeling extremely stressed, maybe you can decide to either reward yourself personally when it is over, or think about the natural rewards that will follow when you are done. Sometimes, looking to the future can be scary, but you can also find comfort in the future as well.
HelpfulFlower16
Make a list of all the positive things in your life including family, friends, pets, even just happy memories. Keep that list near you, and when negative thoughts come your way, use the items on that list to overcome yourself with happiness and positive thoughts.
ofHopesandDreams
I tend to distract myself and do the things I love. It helps me to keep my mind off of the negative thoughts I will produce and it makes me feel good, too.
TheUnassociatedPress
Imagine thoughts like a bird, and your brain like your nest. Birds can land in the nest, but don't let them stay there; it's your nest, not theirs. Let thoughts come and go, but don't let them take over your nest. Even actually envisioning a bird leaving the nest can help; it's what I do when I can't stop thinking about something.
ablessing
Keep telling yourself that you are the one who controls your thoughts! You can choose what to occupy your mind with. There are always good things to refer back to when you're having sad thoughts.
Anonymous
Learn to recognize when the negative thoughts are presenting themselves. The next time that you feel negative, take a moment to notice how you feel. Do you fingers clench? Do you grit your teeth?
confidentLion
By letting kind-hearted people in,by believing in yourself and believing everything happens for a reason. Be kind, be brave and be bold. That is how you will achieve your dreams and let positivity dominate.
ZacharyH
Preventing negative thinking can be very hard! Change your negative thoughts into positive ones. For example, if you are worried about what could go bad in a situation, think about what could go right.
FictionFanatic16
To prevent negative thinking, I go outside and try to count as many beautiful things as I can. Finding beauty in the little things in life makes it easier to let go of the hard parts.
Anonymous
You cannot prevent negative thinking so much as you can create patterns postiive thinking. Through time and self-love, you can create new emotional patterns. This kind of deep-rooted growth take time, patience, love, and compassion. I'm really proud of you for seeking this path in yourself!
midnight77
Switch out the negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones. You can focus on the small little things in life as we are so caught up in life's events that we forget about them totally. Practise mindfulness and try out meditation to calm down and relax.
Lirra
It starts with recognizing it in the first place. Learn to notice when it happens and think to yourself "Am I looking at things through 'gloomy glasses'? What are some more helpful ways to approach these thoughts?". It really is a practice thing. You have to train yourself to do it. Eventually the negative thinking stops being your default. That doesn't mean it isn't sometimes there, but its much more manageable.