How do I prevent negative thinking?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

friendlyPerspective32
December 23rd, 2016 2:09am
It's important that you directly address the reason behind these thoughts rather than to prevent or ignore negative thoughts, What types of emotions do these thoughts elicit? How are these thoughts and emotions affecting you? Then, once you figure that out, accept that you're having these negative emotions and, instead of dwelling on them, simply let them go. We all experience negativity and stress from time to time, but it's the way that we deal with it that's important.
ListeningOak
December 23rd, 2016 8:42pm
First acknowledge that you are having negative thoughts, you can't being to prevent something if you don't accept that it's something that is occurring. Second you create a replacement system, when faced with an unpleasant thought you consciously replace it with a more positive thought. This can be as simple as imagining an image you love until your mental voice stops or forcing it to tell a different narrative, replacing "I couldn't" with "I tried hard, now I'm going to succeed because of that gained knowledge"
Anonymous
Every time you have a negative thought you combat it with a positive thought. Do not let your mind get overrun with negativity - use positivity as a weapon. Negative thinking is something that you acquire over a period of time thinking negatively, and in order to combat it you must you positivity. I find that surrounding myself with positive quotes, items that make me happy, or talking to someone I trust helps to distract me from negative thoughts when I'm not feeling well enough to fight back. If you want to fight the darkness you turn the light on!
Anonymous
To prevent negative thinking limit being around negative circumstances and people. If you can not avoid negative people and circumstances consciously think positive to offset the negative.
dropwithus
I block out all the negative by only surrounding myself with a positive vibe, and outlet. I talk to people who build me up, instead of bringing me down.
hopefulFireworks63
If you want to prevent negative thinking, you first have to welcome positive thinking. Do positive things, speak positive and you think positive one day. It will be needing your effort.
Anonymous
Read inspirational books, articles, practise positive auto suggestion ,,spend your most of the time with encouraging and cheerful people, avoid negative people's company, start and finish your day with prayer or by reading a motivational article,get involved in some social cause or campaign, be in natural surrounding for attest half an hour for eg in a park or garden, take out some time to indulge in your hobbies, most importantly never give up these efforts to prevent any negative thinking.
Anonymous
Sometimes, you can't prevent negative thinking, but you can push it aside. The best thing to do in most situations is to go outside and just listen. Take a walk, or maybe even go for a run! Or just do something that you generally love to do.
soothingSoul12
I always try to be optimistic and hope for the best outcome. In situations where you may feel like you are completely alone, that may seem extremely difficult but always know there are millions of people going through the exact same things. Life sucks sometimes but staying positive helps you get through it.
AncientSoul
By realising that I'm doing it. Normally once I realise that, I can break free from that circle and move to a much realistic point of view where I tell myself "Why the negative thinking, focus more on what you have and be grateful for the good things in life"
OpenedEyes
Positive thinking! Think about all of the positives in your life, everything to be grateful of. Focus on what you can do to improve your life and situations that have been giving you a hard time. Nothing's impossible. Focus on what you want, stop at nothing to get it.
Anonymous
Surround yourself with positive and happy people. Whenever a negative thought comes to your mind check it and write and simultaneously try to counteract it by writing positive side of the same thought. Do it on daily basis and you will be amazed that after few days list of your negative thoughts will keep on decreasing. Try to do things which brings joy to you.
Islah
For me personally, I have a strategy for negative thinking. I question the logic of it. For example, a common thought of mine is 'nobody likes me'. That's an exaggeration, isn't it? I question the logic of it, realize that I have many friends who do in fact like me, and revise the negative statement. Best of luck!
Anonymous
One thing I like to think of when having negative thoughts is that when you pay attention to them it's like watering your garden. All the good thoughts are beautiful flowers and plants and all the negative thoughts are weeds. You don't want to water the weeds. So in order to not water the weeds (and let them spread), you want to pull them out (disregard them) and do the opposite of what the negative thought wants you to think. (Example: if you're looking in the mirror and an intrusive negative thought says 'you're ugly', you can disregard it and do the opposite by saying 'I am beautiful/handsome the way I am.') Basically the fake it until you make it process.
love7865
When you notice that negative thoughts or images are starting to enter your mind, try actually say “stop!” to yourself. If you’re alone, you can try saying this out loud, but it can also be very effective when just said in your head.
magicalRiver94
Hiya :) It sounds as though you are feeling quite negative at the moment with your thoughts - however, don't worry! Things do get better - Try and focus on the things that make you feel happy, loved and cared for! Happy memories, things in the future to look forward to, achievements etc :) And spend your time around people who make you feel good about yourself and positive!
Ciena
You can't prevent them. You are a human. Trying to prevent them or pushing them away makes them stronger. What you can do instead is creating the more positive feelings you can. As it will become a habit you will find yourself more geared towards habing postive feelings automatiquely than negative feelings
Anonymous
It's hard to prevent it. Reframing the thoughts works, but it's a process. Better to acknowledge the negative thoughts and then figure out why they're not true. We all have positive and negative in us.
Ady23
This is a hard thing to do. Once we get into a habit of negative thinking our brains will default to that kind of thinking. You have to work hard against it by constantly being mindful of your thinking. When you notice a negative thought try to change it to a positive thought. With any luck, your brain will begin to default to positive ways of thinking with practice. Good luck :)
friendlylion
One of the best ways to prevent negative thinking is to recognize the thought patterns that lead up to the negative moments. Sometimes thinking about certain things or having specific thoughts will lead us down a path of negative thinking. If you can recognize these patterns, you can hopefully try and stop them before they start! Hope this helps
Anonymous
Wake up everyday and say something positive to yourself to make your day positive. Figure out 3 things which are positive in your life at the moment this will help you prevent thinking negative as much as u once did.
Anonymous
It can take a while to train yourself out of negative thinking, especially if it is all you have been doing for a very long time, however it is completely and utterly possible. Some ways to do this could be trying to correct yourself every time you think or say something negative, trying to think of it in another light. For example, this is a petty example but I can't think of a good one right now, if your ice cream fell on the floor and you couldn't save it instead of thinking oh no that's my ice cream and money down the drain, think of it as being healthier?
CupOfChai123
Trick yourself into seeing the good in a situation. With enough practice, positive thinking will (hopefully) become second nature. It's also good to examine why you're worried about an outcome. When you know why exactly, it's easier to fix.
ScreenOphelia
Unfortunately, we cannot prevent negative thinking - it is a part of your human brain working away at your survival instinct! However, repetitive and negative thoughts can often mess with our mood and therefore our day. When you are feeling particularly negative, it can help to stop and identify the thoughts as negative thoughts. Write them down on a piece of paper or speak to a trusted confidante about them if they are more serious in nature. Putting the thoughts somewhere else helps to separate us from them and view them objectively, allowing for the challenging of these negative thoughts and therefore the potential for more positive thought instead.
ElephantTiger1
It is normal to experience negative thoughts, this unfortunately is just a facet of life. Learn from these thoughts, let them empower you to make a change in yourself, your family, your community, whatever you feel needs changing. Let these thoughts strengthen you not tear you apart, grow from your thoughts and let them be the building blocks for your own success. The thing about life is it isn't easy, everyone is battling something, it is what you choice to do with your situation that matters. Please know that there is more out there for you then these thoughts, there are an endless amount of possibilities for your life and the key to living the way you want to is in your hands, you just have to be willing to take a jump into the unknown.
talktomeok
The best way to prevent negative thinking is asking for help to people who are positive. Many times we can find people who are positive who are willing to help us stay positive. Many times is about braking the cycle of negativity, go to a place with nature, a park, pet a pet, look at the trees, buy some flowers, or look at some pictures of nature in your smart phone or computer, those are some tips for aiming your thoughts towards a more positive attitude. Here is another good way to get more positive is watching a comedy. In general I find that a very good way to stay positive is try to focus in my life in the things I want to achieve and try to erase all the other negative things out of my life. For instance living in a crazy neurotic city, sometimes this thoughts can be easily spread, a good way to get away from this is by thinking in the person who love the most, a pet, a friend, a family member, etc. Many times it could be trying to have positive thoughts in our mind.
Mitel
Negative thoughts can occur for many different reasons—If you can't get troublesome feelings out of your mind, it may have something to do with your social circle. Avoid perpetually negative people when you can, or at least be aware of what habits might be rubbing off on you.
Anonymous
Stop allowing it to oberwheml you, and be mindful of how you think. Every time you think, ask yourself, "Is this positive? Is this helpful?" If it is negative or unhelpful, think again about the situation and remind yourself that negative thinking does not help.
Anonymous
Negative things happen to us all the time. But it's up to each and every one of us to find the silver lining. We all have things to be grateful for. Things that others may not have. Take a moment and think of these things, they could even be simple matters such as being able to have a meal with your family. Let us all be grateful for the things we have, and not the things we don't.
YouCanTellMePH
In my opinion, negative thinking is a normal domain in our emotional growth. It means that you are able to familiarize yourself with doubt and anxiousness. It means that you are probably knowing the boundaries of the risks you can take. If it helps, settle on the good things. Be thankful with every little thing you have today. Expressing gratefulness helps.