How do I stop thinking about death?

How do I stop thinking about death?

Tracy-Kate Teleke, M.A., LMFT

I assist adults and couples in CA experiencing relationship challenges and interpersonal struggles including anxiety, depression, and a myriad of other life challenges.

Anonymous
Whenever i feel like I would be better off dead I think of the people you leave behind. You may not think people love you but you'd be surprised how many do and how many people would be genuinely sad about it. And a lot of problems are fixable, it's just finding the help and taking that leap of faith :) and remember any reason, however small or silly it may feel, is always enough to stay alive
lovingWords70
I stopped thinking about death when I started thinking about the simplest things that make me happy while I'm alive. Try it.
overtherainbow17
I'm sorry that's a topic on your mind right now-- That sounds stressful. I'm glad you've asked this question, though. It seems like you want to change something. So first off, after years of pondering what death would be like, it came time for me to change my mindset. I was not tired of life, I was tired about thinking of death. There's no immediate fix to things like this; It's much more on how you perceive things and changing your mindset. One way, one method I use is a DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) skill called "Opposite Emotion". This is basically you catch yourself having a negative or unrealistic thought. You change your thought to the opposite thing. It can also help some people with managing their emotions. Say, I'm having thoughts of yelling at someone who cut in my lane during driving. Instead, focus on something other than that. Think of the scenery, think of art, but try to shift your focus off the topic of whatever is troubling you. It doesn't work for everyone, or it might take time to work. There's no magic. It's a long process in retraining your brain to think different.
Anonymous
I would surround your self with people that care and that give you strength to be strong again to focus on the positive things in life to make you feel safe and secure. Keep your mind on something that you love and enjoy that makes you happy ......hobbies? .
Anonymous
Make a list in your head/on paper about each and every single thing (big and small) that you are thankful for. Think about ways you could positively impact the lives of people in your local community, globally online, and through any volunteer work. Engage a hobby or interest you enjoy and pursue it. Try new and fun activities you have not tried before. Explore new areas of interest to learn about. Find your passion in life and let that be your motivation. Find an activity that not only makes you feel good, but makes you feel part of something important or part of a community.
Anonymous
You have to try to focus on the things that you love. It can be anything from a sport, to your friends/family members. You have to keep in mind that life is a precious gift and that you being here is a 1/100000000000000000000 chance, I mean when you think about it, that's amazing to be able to experience life. Also, you have kept it going all those years, don't stop now! You mean something to a lot of people even though it may not seem like it !
kazzin
Take a moment of your day to just lay on bed, and listen to your surroundings. Close your eyes if wanted. Then, stand up and look out a window. Look at trees, look at the clouds, look the people walking. You're feeling like there's no point to any of this, but look closely to a bird, or perhaps a butterfly. Look how beautiful this world actually is, and realize that without you, it wouldn't be the same.
Anonymous
You can start by doing stuff you like and finding stuff that helps you forget about it you can also find somone to help.
lifefighter1012
Think about all the reasons you enjoy to live even if they seem small. You can find those reasons within people, places or even things. Also keeping yourself distracted with things you like also helps repel those thoughts of death.
LoveIsLife94
Fill your time with meaningful activities and surround yourself with good people. Idleness is an enemy..
Anonymous
To be honest there isn't a simple answer to it. You can't stop thinking about dying because some time in your life you'll feel burdened by your problems and again you'll feel like dying. Just don't let it overcome you.
Anonymous
Death is a part of life. No point fearing it as we all gonna face it one day. All we can do is focus on our now life. Cherish it and make the most out of it.
SuperSandi
I get in that mode every so often and it's hard for me to get out of it and I really really hate that feeling. What I found that helped me is going out and doing things that I like to do and having fun. Eventually I realized that I have stopped thinking about that and feel a lot better.
zealousSun36
You can engage yourself in various works you like like painting, cleaning dishes, exercise, meditation. But if it bothers you more than normal then immediately without hesitation contact someone who can help you maybe he/she is your relative or your health care provider.
betsy2019
Ask for help it's okay to need it. If you want to die your best option is to get help from an adult.
eternalWriting37
Try thinking of the opposite, if that doesn't help try figuring out why you are obsessing to begin with and try to face that fear.
ShiningWolf
By thinking of all the people who care about you. Think how they would react if you passed away; and even if you don't think anyone would care, they would. A death affects so many people, some that you might not have even known.
Anonymous
Think about life? Think about how well you are doing in the life your living now and how it would hurt people of you wasn't around
Sindi00
Start thinking about life! The amazing opportunity you have to live. Appreciate every moment that u have, every memorie. When u learn how to be thankful to the life that u own, u don't have anymore space on your mind to think about death 💕
peacefulWinter66
Figure out how it makes you feel when you think about it, figure out why you think about it and what causes you to think about it. Adress those feelings and situations. If you want to stop thinking about death it's up to you to make the mind-move from where you are right now to where you want to be.
Zebrasarcastic
Death is inevitable it has to come when it does don't think about it how just think it will when it will and live the moment
Silvumination
Up until just a little while ago, I used to be rather morbid. The theme of death seemed to surface often in my thoughts, conversations, and creative outlets. Everybody is different, but one of the things that helped me was just doing my best to surround myself with positive things. While I still do express my negative emotions, I don't encourage and embrace excessively death-oriented behavior. That translated more specifically as myself trying to limit the morbid side to my humor, artwork, and writing and also not reading, watching, or listening to really angry or depressing music. That might sound like I'm just shutting out my morbid side, but I think instead by doing so I'm able to focus on the more positive things in life :) .
Alexa101
Think of all of the positive and things you are thankful for. Think of the people who love you and would be devastated when you left.
LifeenRiched
The best way I have found to stop thinking about death is to first distract yourself with anything art, cooking, cute puppy videos on YouTube and then continuing to be mindful and present.
SongBird7
Look to the present, and look to the things you cherish. You have to know that you are significant and valued, and that you are surrounded by people who are very endeared to you.
BeforeDawn
Start thinking about life. Everything and everybody dies. There's no way of avoiding that. Living is a bit difficult, yes, but you get to live only once. Better to live, try and fail, then give up and die forever.
purpleRaven76
January 22nd, 2017 1:43pm
Do you feel you absolutely need to stop thinking about death? I ask because, life and death, dark and light, can't exist without each other. Thinking about these things can lead you to finding your inner wisdom and learning about who you are. Obsessive thoughts about dying, however, can be dangerous. Do you idealize suicidal thoughts, or do you think about plans to die? If you're making plans, please reach out for help. Here or anywhere. You can't think about death if you're dead.
avocadoallyson
Thinking about death can be very time consuming and very detrimental to mental health. When you find yourself thinking about death, try to replace those thoughts with thoughts about people you love and care about. Remind yourself that you are important and valued.
Anonymous
think about life and what you love about it and just go and enjoy the simple things like your lover's laugh or a nice sunset
itstimetodance
Death is a terrifying thing indeed, one of my worst fears. I choose to embrace it, however. To do something worthwhile during my life that will make me proud and not afraid to die. To leave my mark engraved on the universe, to live every moment like my last.