How do I stop thinking about death?

How do I stop thinking about death?

Veronica Wade-Hampton, LPC

I enjoy working with individuals of all capacities as I view the role of therapist as one in which you help the client learn to cope with the pressures of daily life.

lovingWords70
I stopped thinking about death when I started thinking about the simplest things that make me happy while I'm alive. Try it.
Anonymous
I would surround your self with people that care and that give you strength to be strong again to focus on the positive things in life to make you feel safe and secure. Keep your mind on something that you love and enjoy that makes you happy ......hobbies? .
silverBlueberry42
The first step is to be at peace with it. Once you are and you accept it as a part of the human experience, your feelings towards it will be much more balanced and less intrusive.
Anonymous
Make a list in your head/on paper about each and every single thing (big and small) that you are thankful for. Think about ways you could positively impact the lives of people in your local community, globally online, and through any volunteer work. Engage a hobby or interest you enjoy and pursue it. Try new and fun activities you have not tried before. Explore new areas of interest to learn about. Find your passion in life and let that be your motivation. Find an activity that not only makes you feel good, but makes you feel part of something important or part of a community.
Anonymous
You have to try to focus on the things that you love. It can be anything from a sport, to your friends/family members. You have to keep in mind that life is a precious gift and that you being here is a 1/100000000000000000000 chance, I mean when you think about it, that's amazing to be able to experience life. Also, you have kept it going all those years, don't stop now! You mean something to a lot of people even though it may not seem like it !
kazzin
Take a moment of your day to just lay on bed, and listen to your surroundings. Close your eyes if wanted. Then, stand up and look out a window. Look at trees, look at the clouds, look the people walking. You're feeling like there's no point to any of this, but look closely to a bird, or perhaps a butterfly. Look how beautiful this world actually is, and realize that without you, it wouldn't be the same.
Anonymous
You can start by doing stuff you like and finding stuff that helps you forget about it you can also find somone to help.
lifefighter1012
Think about all the reasons you enjoy to live even if they seem small. You can find those reasons within people, places or even things. Also keeping yourself distracted with things you like also helps repel those thoughts of death.
LoveIsLife94
Fill your time with meaningful activities and surround yourself with good people. Idleness is an enemy..
Anonymous
To be honest there isn't a simple answer to it. You can't stop thinking about dying because some time in your life you'll feel burdened by your problems and again you'll feel like dying. Just don't let it overcome you.
Anonymous
Death is a part of life. No point fearing it as we all gonna face it one day. All we can do is focus on our now life. Cherish it and make the most out of it.
SuperSandi
I get in that mode every so often and it's hard for me to get out of it and I really really hate that feeling. What I found that helped me is going out and doing things that I like to do and having fun. Eventually I realized that I have stopped thinking about that and feel a lot better.
overtherainbow17
I'm sorry that's a topic on your mind right now-- That sounds stressful. I'm glad you've asked this question, though. It seems like you want to change something. So first off, after years of pondering what death would be like, it came time for me to change my mindset. I was not tired of life, I was tired about thinking of death. There's no immediate fix to things like this; It's much more on how you perceive things and changing your mindset. One way, one method I use is a DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) skill called "Opposite Emotion". This is basically you catch yourself having a negative or unrealistic thought. You change your thought to the opposite thing. It can also help some people with managing their emotions. Say, I'm having thoughts of yelling at someone who cut in my lane during driving. Instead, focus on something other than that. Think of the scenery, think of art, but try to shift your focus off the topic of whatever is troubling you. It doesn't work for everyone, or it might take time to work. There's no magic. It's a long process in retraining your brain to think different.
zealousSun36
You can engage yourself in various works you like like painting, cleaning dishes, exercise, meditation. But if it bothers you more than normal then immediately without hesitation contact someone who can help you maybe he/she is your relative or your health care provider.
betsy2019
Ask for help it's okay to need it. If you want to die your best option is to get help from an adult.
eternalWriting37
Try thinking of the opposite, if that doesn't help try figuring out why you are obsessing to begin with and try to face that fear.
ShiningWolf
By thinking of all the people who care about you. Think how they would react if you passed away; and even if you don't think anyone would care, they would. A death affects so many people, some that you might not have even known.
Anonymous
Think about life? Think about how well you are doing in the life your living now and how it would hurt people of you wasn't around
Sindi00
Start thinking about life! The amazing opportunity you have to live. Appreciate every moment that u have, every memorie. When u learn how to be thankful to the life that u own, u don't have anymore space on your mind to think about death 💕
peacefulWinter66
Figure out how it makes you feel when you think about it, figure out why you think about it and what causes you to think about it. Adress those feelings and situations. If you want to stop thinking about death it's up to you to make the mind-move from where you are right now to where you want to be.
Zebrasarcastic
Death is inevitable it has to come when it does don't think about it how just think it will when it will and live the moment
Alexa101
Think of all of the positive and things you are thankful for. Think of the people who love you and would be devastated when you left.
LifeenRiched
The best way I have found to stop thinking about death is to first distract yourself with anything art, cooking, cute puppy videos on YouTube and then continuing to be mindful and present.
SongBird7
Look to the present, and look to the things you cherish. You have to know that you are significant and valued, and that you are surrounded by people who are very endeared to you.
BeforeDawn
Start thinking about life. Everything and everybody dies. There's no way of avoiding that. Living is a bit difficult, yes, but you get to live only once. Better to live, try and fail, then give up and die forever.
purpleRaven76
January 22nd, 2017 1:43pm
Do you feel you absolutely need to stop thinking about death? I ask because, life and death, dark and light, can't exist without each other. Thinking about these things can lead you to finding your inner wisdom and learning about who you are. Obsessive thoughts about dying, however, can be dangerous. Do you idealize suicidal thoughts, or do you think about plans to die? If you're making plans, please reach out for help. Here or anywhere. You can't think about death if you're dead.
avocadoallyson
Thinking about death can be very time consuming and very detrimental to mental health. When you find yourself thinking about death, try to replace those thoughts with thoughts about people you love and care about. Remind yourself that you are important and valued.
Anonymous
think about life and what you love about it and just go and enjoy the simple things like your lover's laugh or a nice sunset
itstimetodance
Death is a terrifying thing indeed, one of my worst fears. I choose to embrace it, however. To do something worthwhile during my life that will make me proud and not afraid to die. To leave my mark engraved on the universe, to live every moment like my last.
Schultzy
Death is something that comes for everyone, and will of course be something that you think about. That being said, We don't know what happens for sure after death. That's why I like to try and focus on the living. For all we know, We've only got one chance at life, So might as well try to make the most of what were given. Enjoy the little things in life like sunsets, or a good song. Cherish the people around you that make you happy, Just take things one day at a time. If today is a rough day, Tomorrow is always a brand new day to try again. Things might look like all rainy and thunderstorms, But at the end of every thunderstorm, The sun always comes up and a rainbow might just make it's appearance.